2016 Wags Warriors Main Event Blog

Doctor Who

2016 Wags Warriors Main Event Blog

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:45 pm

Okay, now that I have scared the bejesus out of Jupinka with the headline, it is time to get on with my little gag of a team that I will blog about once again this year. One of these years, it would be cool to blog about a winner. Maybe then, I can start to break into this fantasy baseball industry (Believe me when I say I tried this offseason to no avail!). I’ll change my title next week so I can have that cheap trick to get clicks on the blog this first week.

Before I get into the team though, I just want to thank Greg and Tom for being great hosts out in Vegas. I loved meeting the new faces and some that I met for the first time last year. It can be kind of overwhelming at first to mesh into all the baseball geeks like yourself, but once you get over not being the smartest person in the room (Texas Bias I’m sure), it really is an amazing experience. Especially when the geeks take over a Penthouse Suite on top of the Bellagio at the MTM Party. What a blast Mikey. Was great meeting you and talking with some of the greatest minds in all of fantasy baseball like Lemke and Potts.

It was good to see Macey (fellow Houstonian who was in both my mains), Scott (almost the same last name Waggener) who I met last year and liken myself to in this huge landscape we call fantasy baseball, Zola, last year’s champ Glenn (Thanks for the drinks champ!), Lowy, Jupinka, and finally getting to see the man behind the Gekko board name. Was fun to lose my money early in the week to Stadts and KJ during a draft to see the over/under on where guys would get picked in a Super (I’m sure Greg wasn’t annoyed at all with this during his facilitation!). Finally, was good to see Yah Mule, Childs, Wayne (my fellow blogger) and Pausma (who seemed like he was in every draft of mine- thanks for giving me Correa in that OC Friday!). I’m sure there are many more I missed but my music is playing and I can’t be one of those people that rambles on like they do at the Oscars every year.

So let’s get to the Wags Warriors Main Event Team (Sorry to those who thought I would talk about the Plat, but I really do think Jupinka would kill me.) I drafted this team in Las Vegas Saturday and will track this team all year through the ups and downs. This league had the likes of Chris Liss, Bill Macey, Norred, Stadts, Gekko, and Baseball Furies, among others. I had the 5th pick in this draft, which was my first choice. I'll let you guess why in a minute. So here we go.

Round 1- SS Carlos Correa- When I talked to Vogel before the draft, we both had the same pick, and shockingly only one of us got him. He did have a great quote I wish now I should have used, but was too chicken- "You can put it on the board!!!!!! Carlos Correa!" Yes I am happy to be a proud owner of Correa this year, and no Lowy, it isn't just because I live in Houston. I really do think he will bring a huge edge at SS this year and gives me across the board production.

Round 2- C/1B Buster Posey- The original plan here was to go P-P, but SP went early and often more so than usual for me. So I decided to zig early and take another huge edge at a hard position. My thought process at this time was to grab one of the last aces on the way back, but I was happy to get two huge edges at two bad positons through the first two picks.

Round 3- OF JD Martinez- Well when pitching flew off the board at the end of the second, I decided right then and there I was moving to my plan B of fading pitching all-together. JD has a better lineup in front of him and while last year I faded him, he is the real deal. Yes, I know he is an ex-Astro, but grabbing a power OF here was ideal with what I was going to try and do for the rest of the draft.

Round 4- OF Adam Jones- I wanted Wainwright here, but when he went a pick before me, it was time to fade again. Adam Jones was a first rounder last year, and I don't think he has changed at all from who he has been all these years. Great hitters park with a great lineup around him, I feel like he will be back up to the 1-2 round in next years draft.

Round 5- P Wade Davis- If you are going to fade pitching, you can't fade closers as well. More on that later. With two of the top closers going on the turn, I decided to jump in on Davis, as the second tier closers have been going a round later and Id rather have a top one than a second tier one a round later. Great bullpen and great team, will get me a ton of saves this year.

Round 6- P Marcus Stroman- Here is another guy I am all-in on this year. I am fine with him as the ace of my staff. He had a great outing last night and I'm hoping he can roll like that the rest of the year. He was my target for this round when I decided to somewhat fade pitching as I liked the middle round pitchers a lot this year.

Round 7- 3B Kyle Seager-Another guy I'm high on at a position that drops off quickly. I wanted to grab a 3B early and he fits the bill as he will either bat 5th or 2nd most of the year. I was glad to get him as he fits my offense perfectly since I'm fading pitching.

Round 8- OF Adam Eaton-While the second and third tier closers were going here already, I needed some speed that wasn't a pure Judy. I think Eaton can grab me 30 steals this year and help get me stats across the board in that lineup up in Chi-town.

Round 9- P Masahiro Tanaka-This was where I wanted to fade to if I decided to go to plan B. Tanaka pitches like an ace, and while he has that shoulder that could fall off at any time, he seems like a gamer that is willing to pitch through anything. I know I'm taking a huge risk here, but I planned this team to either go for first or dead last. He fits the bill as he could be a monster if he ever pitched 200IP.

Round 10- P Jake Odorizzi-While anyone with a pulse continued to go at closer, I decided maybe, just maybe, I could decide to zig again and fade closers and still be able to grab a good SP collection to compete. Odorizzi has breakout potential all over him and with this team I need him to realize it and come to fruition. If he does, watch out!

Round 11- OF Kole Calhoun-After eating my steak at the break, I decided I had to keep pushing hitting to maintain my edge there. I almost went with Joc Pederson here but decided to go with Zola's guy instead of Childs' guy. I think Calhoun has the higher floor and needed a guy that could deliver for this team, rather than another home run pick.

Round 12- OF Byron Buxton-I took him last year, and no way was I going to let him have a great year without me. Worst case, I really needed speed with this team going all-in on the batting side, and if he does break out, will love owning him at this pick.

Round 13- P Hisashi Iwakuma-I actually was thinking of taking him in round 11 as I already had Tanaka, but I couldn't pass on him anymore. Just like Tanaka, if he can deliver 180-200 IP, he is exactly what this team needs since I decided to fade pitching. Like I said earlier, this team is either last or first depending on if it can stay healthy or not. I know it is a huge IF, but in the main event, you have to take chances somewhere.

Round 14- 1B Mark Teixeira-I guarded my batting average early for this reason. I knew another injury-prone guy would be available to me. I love his power and he is another guy that if he can stay healthy for an entire season, could be a monster in Yankee Stadium. I'm starting to detect a theme here with this team...

Round 15- 2B/3B/OF Josh Harrison-I wanted a 2B with speed and like Harrison to bounce back on top of the Pirates lineup, which I think is very good this year, even in that ballpark. His multi-positional eligibility is a plus as well when it comes to trying to tinker lineups around injuries or matchups.

Round 16- P Mike Leake-Looking back, I probably should have grabbed Colome here but thought I could fade him one more round. Then Hoover went and I was left holding my... well you know, next round. I wanted to grab Leake though as St. Louis always becomes a haven for pitchers with good control. I think he even can get his strikeouts up to 140 or so and give me some wins and a great whip as the guys that I already grabbed are those types of guys.

Round 17- UTIL Evan Gattis-After the closers went, I decided to take another chance here. I like Gattis in the middle of the order as a power bat once he gets back from his injury in the spring which will only be the first two weeks. I also think he has a small chance to gain catcher eligibility by the all-star break as Hinch has said that he wouldn't mind Gattis becoming a personal catcher as the Astros have nobody as their backup catcher. That would be a huge get then.

Round 18- P Andrew Cashner-Surprisingly, only 1 pitcher went in between round 17 and round 18 picks. Cashner was a guy everyone was high on last year and this year not so much. Before last year, he was a fine pitcher and is in a pitcher park. He said he found what he was doing wrong in the offseason, so I'm believing him and hoping he can return to form.

Round 19- 1B AJ Reed-I wanted Grilli here, but he went the pick before me. So much for not fading closers with pitching. :oops: As for Reed, I think he will be up soon enough, if not by the Super 2 deadline and be this year's version of the amazing talent from the Astros farm system. He will have to sit on the bench, but I have no qualms burning a pot for him for the first month or so.

Round 20- 2B/SS Chris Owings-Honestly was hoping to get Aaron Sanchez here, but he was taken so decided to grab some more speed for this club. I read before the draft that Owings would get the first shot in CF from the Pollock fallout, so wanted to grab a guy that would play full time in a good park and has some speed to help me out.

Round 21- P Phil Hughes- I know many are down on him for his HR/9 issue and his MPH on his fastball are down, but I think he can bounce back. This was a guy that was huge for me two years ago, so I thought it was only right to give him another chance for my team to see if he can come back and give me same dark magic.

Round 22- P Ryan Madson-I couldn't take the chance to fade anymore. I love Madson this year to steal the job from Doolittle sooner than later. I still think Doolittle is hurt from his fastball being way down and his spring training news. Madson easily could be a dominate guy for a scrappy A's team.

Round 23- P Drew Storen-This is one of those picks that I am so mad about. I picked Storen out of spite than taking Gregerson here, as I committed to Storen early and often during the spring drafts. I still think he has a chance to steal it if Osuna has trouble, but Gregerson should have been the pick since I had been saying all spring he would close. Would have really gotten this team over the hump and been the pick to make it a contender early without playing the FAAB game. I just thought I could get Gregerson one round later, and I was wrong, which may have just cost me some money.

Round 24- SS Jimmy Rollins-Here was a guy I was high on as a later pick this spring. I loved that he wanted to earn a staring job rather than get a guarantee for a backup role. He did well during the spring, which I rarely look at, but when a guy like this places a bet on himself, I take notice and willing to do the same.

Round 25- 1B Joe Mauer-I'm fine grabbing a number 3 hitter for the first month or so while I wait for Reed to come up. Was a perfect fit for this team. Would also be amazing if he put the catchers hat on early on in the season once in awhile. I know, we can all dream can't we?

Round 26- P Jake Peavy-Another guy that easily can be a spot starter at home or in pitcher parks. He still has that gamer in him and for a guy being a 6-8 starter, he will be just fine in a matchups game for me.

Round 27- P Joaquin Benoit-If you remembered from last year, I took Benoit the day before Kimbrel got traded and took the job from him. At this point, I think he owes me one for stealing the job from another guy. Since I faded closers, I had to take some lottery tickets late to save some FAAB money.

Round 28- C Hank Conger-Another guy I saw right before the draft, should get the lions share of AB in TB. He has some pop and with Posey locked up at my other C spot, I just need Conger to play more than 50% of the time to be useful for me. Plus he was my favorite robot in the Astros dugout last year after a home run. That counts for something, right?

Round 29- P Jeff Locke- Full disclosure here, I knew I wanted some pitching depth to play pitching matchups so I decided to go with a Lemke guy since he knows how to pick those late starters after he gets done bullying hitting.

Round 30- Martin Perez-Another pitcher who could bounce back or be my first drop. He has two starts the first week, so we will see if he can come back to form early on.

So there it is boys and girls. The first place team overall or the 450th team.. Hopefully it wont be the ladder. You tell me, where did I mess up? Where did I go right? Like the team or hate it?
Last edited by Doctor Who on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edwards Kings

Re: 2016 Platinum Blog

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:26 am

Nice write up! I am with you on Tanaka (i.e. hope the arm holds up). He is a difference maker if he stays healthy.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Doctor Who

Re: 2016 Wags Warriors Main Event Blog

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:41 pm

Week 1

What a week. I've never had three of the best days followed up with 4 of the worst days to start a season. It is so frustrating to already feel this way only 7 days into a baseball season. So far, this season has been nothing but a blur thanks to the past couple of weeks since getting back from Vegas. Lets see, the minute I got back from Vegas, my nephew decides to greet me with about 30 wet coughs all over my room without covering his mouth, nonetheless being told to cover his mouth at the same time. Of course, a few hours later, those coughs were coming from me. After about 96 hours later of nothing but being cold, sweaty, and in absolute misery, I was given suite tickets to the Justin Bieber concert here in Houston. Yes, I know how much crap I will get from this, but I am a huge Justin Bieber fan. And huge is an understatement for those that know me. But I found enough strength to go, and not only were they great private suite tickets, it was the suite with all the club owners in Houston! I ended up getting invited to a club Justin was going to after the show VIP with the owner, since he saw how huge a fan I was (I guess acting like a little school girl does pay off sometimes). All in all, I ended up getting to meet Justin in a closet like atmosphere before he entered the club. Yes a dream come true. 8-) In the meantime, baseball was being played and just like my week, seemed like it went to quickly, and while it had some ups, it definitely was as dead as me during the week. So let's get to this past week baseball-wise, since I'm already late posting about it.

This is what I go by usually that I think I will need each week to keep up with my target numbers. If I remember right I try to get 300 AB’s a week to achieve those numbers in batting.

.2674 AVG, 39 Runs, 9 HR’s, 37.5 RBI’s, 6 SB’s

4 W, 3.321 ERA, 1.191 WHIP 55.5 K’s, 3.5 Saves.

This is what I will use going forward each week to check myself against. It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s a good starting point.

For week 1, the batting seemed to generally be right on point with all the weird scheduling going on. I only got 268 AB's but got a .276/34/10/35/4 week from it. By going all offense, and fading pitching what is actually sad is that I need to blow the offense out of the water if this team is going to have a chance. I was only really carried by 4 players this week- Posey, Mauer, Correa, and Teixeira. I'm hoping Conger can get more AB's going forward in TB, or I might have to look elsewhere to help in the counting stats. I'm also a little concerned with my up-the-middle guys as Owings, Rollins, and Harrison had poor weeks, but I'm happy that Gattis is back this week for me to slot in at utility and hopefully sooner than later will be my second catcher. That will be huge for this team if that happens quickly. I am concerned that AJ Reed might stay down longer in AAA than I had hoped. I thought for sure, White would fail early, the Astros would get desperate and bring Reed up. Now that looks like it wont happen as White is crushing the ball right now. Reed might be an early drop going forward. I am glad to see Correa off to a hot start though. I have been all over him all spring even though the metrics said otherwise. I'm glad I get to enjoy watching him play for my hometown team and my fantasy teams.

The pitching this past week definitely looked like I faded it. In 64.1 IP, I got 2/2/4.896/1.461/48. Not the numbers I was looking for even with fading. I rolled the dice and came up short this week. It seemed like it was blowup after blowup. From Cashner, to Leake, to Peavy, and even to Stroman. Other than Odorizzi and Wade Davis, all 7 of my other pitchers performed worse than average. It was pitiful and one of the most helpless feelings we have in this game, when there is nothing you can do seeing all the blowups. It feels as though sometimes you are in a minefield during the week and your just hoping that that blowup just isn't your guy. This week, I stepped on every single one of those damn mines. Not to mention having Madson on the bench with his two saves! :oops: Ultimately though, if my offense can give me 60 points like I need it too, I can get by with league average pitching to get in the money in this league. I know that this isn't an overall team, so I think I will have to play for the league only one week in.

This week I dipped into FAAB for three players. With Adam Jones being injured? I needed someone that would play everyday and saw that Utley could help my middle more and be a fill-in in case Jones was out for an extended amount of time as Harrison could slide over to the OF. I went $63 on him thinking a strong bid would have to be needed to get him, but $21 was the runner-up bid. Still, I don't think I overbid too much for him. I wanted some SP help this week so I grabbed Mat Latos for $17 as I think maybe, just maybe he can give me some K's with his league average pitching. And of course, with only one closer, I had to take a stab on Brandon Maurer for $3, since I think he will be next in line WHEN Rodney falters, because we all know he will. Hopefully him and Madson can turn out to be those closers I will inevitably need.

Of course, real life gets in the way sometimes, as when setting my lineup, I waited to long to see if Adam Jones was in or out. So he remained in, while Utley will sit on the bench the first half of the week. That is what happens when you are on the way to the Astros opening day and aren't thinking, not to mention still sick. With only one closer, I should be leading in K's or close to it, so I have 3 double starters this week, which doesn't necessarily mean it is a good thing, but I'm hoping to pick up my ratios this week along with getting a ton of K's in the process. One can hope, right? It is either that, or another dreaded week in the minefield, hoping to yourself that your next step isn't one with a mine buried underneath.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:12 am

Dear God!! An Astros and Bieber fan??? I don't know which is worse. :shock:

All I do know is it appears that psychiatric services have recently been offered elsewhere on these boards for much less psychotic behavior. Seek help my friend, seek help. :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, I'm glad you're doing this blog again Dusty. It's one of the fun threads to follow throughout the season. It was also great to see you again in Sin City and a good time hanging out that one night with you and Juprinka.

Good luck this year, with both your team and your condition. :mrgreen:

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:58 am

I apologize for the delay in getting this out this week and even replying to you Glenn, as real life keeps getting in the way since getting back from Vegas. I wish I could blame real life on how shitty this team is but I’ll get to the team in a minute. Don’t worry, Gekko is doing just fine in this league for those of you that were concerned about his placement in the league. :lol: And Glenn, JB is awesome, but I do have a gofundme account set up for paying for my psychiatric services if you are interested in footing the bill… In all seriousness though, it was great getting to hang out with you, Glenn, and Steve for a few drinks, as it has become one of the highlights of my trips every year now.

So let me get to why I am late this week with the blog. As all of you know by now by my avatar and my love for Houston sports teams, I live in Katy, which is a suburb of Houston, TX. This week we got slammed with a storm that literally stayed put for 36 hours dumping about 19 inches of rain on us in 24 hours. I know a few of the NFBC guys also live in Houston, so I hope they made it out better than me this week. Katy is on the west side of town, and with that is one of the highest points in the city that is barely above sea-level. I have lived here all my life and not once, even during hurricanes, have I seen Katy-Cypress area flood like it did this week. All the creeks and bayous came out of the beds and we are still dealing with flooding days later without any real rain. I linked a facebook link below of an aerial view about 2 miles away from my house. I lived on an island for two days as I couldn’t leave my neighborhood. And believe me I tried, and was quick to fail as I was a dumbass that tried to make it to work through some high water and killed my car in the process. So this week has been a huge headache, but wanted to thank some of the people that reached out via text to check up on me throughout the week. I am fine, house is fine, and car is back to being fine after some money down the drain to fix it, but at least it was totaled out. But now that real life is starting to get normal again, I thought I’d throw together something this week for this team. Here are just some real quick photos of downtown Houston, and the link by my house that is on youtube for those of you that want to click away from this site. They have even more drone footages once you click the link in my area if wanted to get a glimpse of how real water can be when it gets angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRCk9qWg-B0

So let me give you the current state of affairs for this team this week rather than the last week’s bag of shit. This team currently sits in 14th place with 52.5 points. I can’t even say I’m better than Mike the Mouth, and this team quickly is becoming a laughing stock. Shockingly though, the pitching is the one giving me any kind of points as it almost doubles what my hitting stats are right now. Being in the bottom third of your weekly standings for the first 3 weeks aren’t going to get it done. My offense, which was supposed to really be the focus of this team, has yet to show life. After starting off hot, Correa has really done nothing since the opening series. I still am not worried overall about him as the entire Astros offense has yet to really get going yet except Altuve. Posey hasn’t really been himself yet either. JD Martinez has been good but not great, and Adam Jones has been terrible. Those 4 are the base of my offense and you can tell how bad they have been from their normal selves just by my place in the standings. Not to mention Seager has been atrocious too and Buxton looks overmatched just like last year and he sucked me again. When 8 of your top 12 rounds go hitting, having this slow start will hurt you bad in the standings. The only real solace in this start is hopefully some hot streaks are headed my way, along with I have had no major injuries offensively yet, unless you count sucking worse than injury. It is still way early to give up, but this team can make up some ground in the SB and AVG departments pretty quick with a good week or two, but the counting stats will need 2-3 weeks at this point to really make some headway in the standings. It is still doable, but the overall window for this team has possibly closed. It might be time to start looking at just getting in the money in this league, rather than concerning myself with the overall standings.

Surprisingly though, at least in the early going, the pitching is middle of the ground in every category. And while still being salty on the non-Gregerson pick (picked Storen instead), this team looks pretty good in the saves category going forward as Madson looks like he has stolen the job in a coup, which could be huge for this team to make up some ground going forward. Wade Davis continues his domination for a good team. Stroman has actually looked good minus the last inning of two of his starts and has 3 wins. Tanaka has been good, and more importantly healthy so far this season. Odorrizzi has looked good minus his hiccup this week. Hughes, Iwakuma, and Perez all have shown signs of life, so while this team faded pitching and still hasn’t started hitting on all cylinders yet (is that even possible?), I can’t fault the pitching for the wreck of this team so far. It has the ability to get better, and hasn’t totally sucked so far.

As far as this last FAAB went, I needed a catcher to replace Conger, who hasn’t hit like I had hoped with Tony Wolters for $2 as my $31 bid for Salty was not enough (Went for $43). Looking back, I probably should have bid more as this slot will likely be rotated in and out on FAAB weekly in the short term. I also grabbed Jed Lowrie for $11 as he could be a useful bench piece to rotate in and out and his bat has started to get going. Mazara went for $575 in my league, and was never interested in him really as I put a courtesy $212 bid on him. I am worried how his playing time might be in 4 weeks when Choo comes back and Josh Hamilton is healthy again. Lots of outfielders that are veterans that might eat into some playing time if he struggles in the slightest. But what do I know, I’m in 14th place…

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:11 am

Man, what a storm that must have been. I am glad everything (relatively) is all right.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Thanks Wayne. Hope your team can start doing better than mine so one of us can keep these folks entertained this year...

The misery continues… So rather than bitch about my team this week, I’m going to go a different route with the blog this week and make it short and simple. Most everyone says that you shouldn’t even look at the standings until the end of May. My OCD won’t allow that though, and while I think that the standings shouldn’t be 100% gospel, I do believe that it shows you how to play FAAB in the early going. If you are off to a good start, your bench can be full of prospects or set-up guys hoping to steal a closer job away. But if your team is off to a horrible start, I feel like you can’t think of the future, but rather the now. You can judge by the standings your downfalls and can address them in FAAB, or whether or not your guys are just off to slow starts or a complete fail from what you thought of them when you drafted them. So this week in FAAB, I got John Ryan Murphy for $3 as I’m hoping he can get past his slow start and steal the C job in Minnesota. As you can see, I’m already grasping at straws for my second catcher. I also was able to get Tony Cingrani for $42, who just might slide into that closers role in Cincinnati and would give me three closers as long as Madson is the guy in Oakland. Lastly, I grabbed Mark Canha for $12 as he could provide some pop if he gets it going in Oakland. All three are pickups that can contribute right away and also have an eye on the future. The key I’ve learned in the past is to not freak out because of a slow start, but to keep grinding, hoping that the players you drafted finally wake up and start delivering. I don’t know if this team can grind out a 3rd place finish in the league, but if the offense can wake up, the pitching has a chance to do its part.

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Mon May 09, 2016 11:30 pm

I'm calling it. Here's hoping that this team can turn into that 2005 Astros team. Need all the good luck charms possible. I've delayed writing about this team because it is so bad. I thought to myself the last couple of weeks that it wasn't worth the time to write about such a shitty team for two reasons. One, nobody wants to hear a complainer week to week; two, nobody is interested in a loser. But then I started to think, hey, maybe one or two people will read this and either know my pain of knowing you have zero shot only 5 weeks in, or laugh at my pain, so either way I hope to be entertaining. I will however, adjust my writing to maybe once a month so that I keep those one or two people and don't bore them with my misery. If you want to go follow a winning blog, Wayne has a nice one going now! :D

So without further adu, lets dive into why this team only has 49 points and no chance after 5 weeks.

1. Correa hasn't been a monster, but he hasn't been pathetic, but to me is a bum. I was all over him this year thinking he would be that guy. We a top 5 pick, he has come nowhere close to his value, even as a SS.

2. Posey started the year cold but has come on of late. Again, he hasn't been a huge disappointment, but he is coming nowhere near his expected value. So far, going the scarcity route has backfired with these two.

3. JD Martinez has turned himself back into his Astro days. Faded him for 1.5 years not believing in him, I finally dive in and he proves me right, just not when I wanted him too. Looking back, adding Syndergaard here would have been huge for me but had already drafted him twice the first weekend. Doh!

4.Adam Jones used to be this consistent, unimpressive guy that just chugged along proving the naysayers wrong about his OBP, and swinging too much. Well to think I thought this was a value when I drafted him. Laughable and a huge reason why this team is where it is. Thanks Adam!

5. Wade Davis has been exactly what I expected and solid. Couldn't have asked for more and is doing just fine justifying this spot for now. But having zero starters at this point is really hurting.

6. Marcus Stroman has been a good but not great pitcher. Very serviceable as a number 2 at this point, but I needed him to take a huge step forward for this team to work. He definitely is not the problem though.

7. Kyle Seager was another bum early on, but has since shown some life of late. The power is there for him this year, but that AVG is not where I expected it to be. He is doing better than Carpenter right now who went a pick before.

8. Adam Eaton has been doing okay, but is only the 52 ranked OF on the board. I thought he was doing better than that but he needs more counting stats to be worth this spot at this point in the draft.

9. Tanaka has pitched excellent thus far and has pitched like a good number 2 starter. It just amazes me when I go through the first 9 picks that this team could have been so much better with Syndergaard in the 3rd and anybody but Jones in the 4th round.

10. Odorizzi's only problem them year is he hasn't gotten a win. Everything else I can live with being a solid number 3 type pitcher. More and more I look at this team, the more bothered I am about how bad it is.

11. Calhoun has been okay, but the counting stats are just not where they should be. He is an average outfielder that should be better, but that Angels team is just so bad right now, but not worse than my LASTROS! At least he is better than the first two OF that were supposed to be my building blocks. :?

12.Buxton. Second year in a row I got sucked into the hype. Second year in a row I got burned. Another huge reason this team is where it is. :evil:

13. Iwakuma hasn't been himself this year thus far, but I haven't really been worried about him. He is a number 4-5 type pitcher now that could go on a run during the summer that would get his numbers to his usual self. So not really saying he is a problem or really helping me at this point.

14-15. Tex has been God awful as father time has finally hit him, while Harrison has come back to life just like I thought he would. So a home run and a strikeout with the bases loaded with these two picks so far.

16-17. Leake has been a huge bum and thought he would be even better in St. Louis. I guess his last supporter of him after all these years is now gone. Gattis has been a bum to start the year too but could pay dividends later if he can get that catcher eligibility quicker rather than later.

18-19. Andrew Trashner has been a disgrace and has not helped a strugging pitching staff that needed to be almost perfect. Him and Leake have really held this staff back. AJ Reed experiement ended quickly for me as didn't expect Tyler White to hold his own in the majors. Dropped him, and now White has gone cold. What happens when you start to panic early and cant hold onto spec plays.

20-21. Chris Ownings started hot but has since come back to Earth, he could have helped this team too. Another pitcher I was the last one to still believe in with Hughes has joined the back end of my pitching staff to blow it up.

22-23. Madson was a huge home run pick which could have been paired with another one in Gregerson but instead went with the high and mighty Storen. That was another huge mistake for this team.

24-25. Rollins hasn't been great and looks done, while Mauer has been a pleasant surprise this late that was only supposed to be a fill in for Reed.

26-27. Peavy was supposed to be a home play and he is done while taking my staff with him. Benoit was a spec play that didn't work out as Cishek has been nails in SEA.

28-30. Conger was horrible as a second catcher and has since been dropped. Martin Perez has been serviceable and Locke has been too.

This team missed out on the Madson early saves so that has been a struggle but does have 2 full time closers going forward. It also lacks K's, and with the 3 detrimental pitchers still on the staff, might be looking at a huge overhaul come Sunday. Might have to just grind out K's for the rest of the year as well as wins. Surprisingly though this team has been in the middle of the pack in ERA and WHIP, which is something I always struggle with. But I do have a plan of attack going forward, since we aren't a quitter and will continue to play it out. At least on the pitching side...

The batting side I have no idea what to do and am open to suggestions if anyone has them. I am middle of the pack in steals and batting average, yet way behind in home runs, runs, and RBI's. You know, the important counting stats that none of my guys get. That is where I need to find a plan of attack and quick.

The good news is I have the 5th most budget for FAAB left so I know I will be a pesky fellow in FAAB the rest of the summer, so I might annoy the guys actually in it. But without my main guys going on a 3 month tear or something, I just don't see a plan for the offense to even get me in the conversation of being even average.

Sebadiah23

Post by Sebadiah23 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:14 am

Hey- I really liked this post, as you share a common sentiment/mindset with many people regarding early results, and I do have advice for you actually- do nothing.

Not literally nothing, but treat the bulk of your players as you saw them when you drafted them (Barring injury or significant role change). Anybody short of Buxton, who is a stash obviously (hopefully), set them and forget them, and focus on your worst hitter or a replacement for Cashner, etc, anybody in rounds 20+, roster churn that butter like its no joke. Pay no attention to Seager, Jones, Correa, Posey, Jmart, Imakuma, Odorizzi, etc. That's your team, until fantasy death do you part, and honestly it looks fine. You don't have miracle months from a Walker, or Story, or Latos, or Zimmermann, but that only explains why you are low in the standings on May 10th, not whether you have a good team.

Don't be a LaRussa- don't tinker just to tinker to feel influential- be Earl Weaver. Your team will thank you and start hitting three run bombs. Good luck.

-Mace and Bailey's Ass-kickers

http://kielinski.blogspot.com
We drove 22 miles, country around Farmington. Signs started appearing. THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN AMERICA. Cars,tour bus,cameras;postcards sold.

No one sees the barn,

They are taking pictures of taking pictures
-Don DeLillo
@Sebadiah23, IG:sebadiah26

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue May 10, 2016 5:02 am

Doctor Who wrote:I'm calling it.
I feel your pain, but do not throw the towel in yet...

It may be too late to be early, but it is definitely too early to be too late. Mark doesn't even know where his teams are in the standings because he doesn't even check until September or something.... ;) :lol:

Just apply the paddles and move on...

It is amazing what a couple of good weeks will do to your team.

Doctor Who wrote:If you want to go follow a winning blog, Wayne has a nice one going now! :D
Thanks, but I will say chasing Potts right now is making my head spin! :D

Charles Krauthammer