Laroche to retire?

Deadheadz

Laroche to retire?

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:16 pm

Rotoworld seems to think so:
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/ ... pheadlines

That'll teach me to draft in Nov-Feb, won't it?

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

KJ Duke

Re: Laroche to retire?

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:09 pm

A year too late for Sox fans. And like the Sox, your team might be better without him in lineup.

mbendar16

Post by mbendar16 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:04 pm

As annoucement is made, Avisail Garcia moves up everyone's list. Dare I throw the Gekko like reference that he's hitting .435 with a 1.393 OPS this spring.:mrgreen:

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:06 pm

mbendar16 wrote:As annoucement is made, Avisail Garcia moves up everyone's list. Dare I throw the Gekko like reference that he's hitting .435 with a 1.393 OPS this spring.:mrgreen:
Yep, back it up to pre-austin jackson signing. Fell a few rds and he should be right back.

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:17 pm

Good for Kenny Williams laying down the law and setting some workplace standards. No kid should be at the workplace EVERYDAY. Ridicoulous. And why is this kid not in school? So sick of parents treating their kids like theiy're friends & bringing them into adult situations where children have no place being like its no big deal, similar to women with their lap dogs treating them like babies and bringing them into public places like restaraunts & stores as if it's somehow acceptable because THEIR dog/child is different. No they're not! Including your son, LaRoche. He's not the 26th man. He's a 14 year old who is a distraction to the clubhouse and to you. Enjoy your retirement with your son you entitled baby!

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:38 pm

COZ wrote:Good for Kenny Williams laying down the law and setting some workplace standards. No kid should be at the workplace EVERYDAY. Ridicoulous. And why is this kid not in school? So sick of parents treating their kids like theiy're friends & bringing them into adult situations where children have no place being like its no big deal, similar to women with their lap dogs treating them like babies and bringing them into public places like restaraunts & stores as if it's somehow acceptable because THEIR dog/child is different. No they're not! Including your son, LaRoche. He's not the 26th man. He's a 14 year old who is a distraction to the clubhouse and to you. Enjoy your retirement with your son you entitled baby!

COZ
The kid is home schooled, and part of LaRoche signing with the White Sox was his son would be allowed in the club house 100% of the time.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:07 am

COZ wrote:Good for Kenny Williams laying down the law and setting some workplace standards. No kid should be at the workplace EVERYDAY. Ridicoulous. And why is this kid not in school? So sick of parents treating their kids like theiy're friends & bringing them into adult situations where children have no place being like its no big deal, similar to women with their lap dogs treating them like babies and bringing them into public places like restaraunts & stores as if it's somehow acceptable because THEIR dog/child is different. No they're not! Including your son, LaRoche. He's not the 26th man. He's a 14 year old who is a distraction to the clubhouse and to you. Enjoy your retirement with your son you entitled baby!

COZ
Sorry COZ but you should really know the situation before you post something like this - last year the White Sox gave LaRoche's son a LOCKER in the spring training room right next to his dad. So this year LaRoche (Adam) and his son Drake come to spring training with no word of change AND then get the Kenny Williams crap AFTER they have arrived.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:10 am

Captain Hook wrote:

COZ
Sorry COZ but you should really know the situation before you post something like this - last year the White Sox gave LaRoche's son a LOCKER in the spring training room right next to his dad. So this year LaRoche (Adam) and his son Drake come to spring training with no word of change AND then get the Kenny Williams crap AFTER they have arrived.
Probably because they suddenly realized they were enabling lunacy.
“We’re not big on school,” LaRoche said. “I told my wife, ‘He’s going to learn a lot more useful information in the clubhouse than he will in the classroom, as far as life lessons.’ ”
I assumed he was a fundamentalist Christian with the home schooling (maybe he is, it's not clear) but Adam just don't see no reason for a bunch of that book learning.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:15 am

Yah Mule wrote:I assumed he was a fundamentalist Christian with the home schooling (maybe he is, it's not clear) but Adam just don't see no reason for a bunch of that book learning.
Wow! Dude, please be careful with (wildly inaccurate and potentially insulting) statements. No, I am not what people would consider a fundamentalist Christian and I did not home school my kids.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:30 am

Don't expect special treatment when you're grossly overpaid and suck at your job.

There's a lesson maybe his kid would learn if he went to school. Or maybe he did anyway.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:31 am

C'mon Adam, life lessons are learned at EVERY age.
A 15 year old kid down our street is ' home schooled'.
Great skate boarder. Doesn't know who the 16th President was.
The only life lesson learned is that he has to wait till 3:30 to play with friends.

Why, just yesterday, Adam LaRoche, himself, learned a life lesson.
That of, if not producing over the course of a year, even if making millions of dollars, some benefits may be taken away at the work place.
Teach that to your son, instead of the knee-jerk reaction of quitting.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:40 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:I assumed he was a fundamentalist Christian with the home schooling (maybe he is, it's not clear) but Adam just don't see no reason for a bunch of that book learning.
Wow! Dude, please be careful with (wildly inaccurate and potentially insulting) statements. No, I am not what people would consider a fundamentalist Christian and I did not home school my kids.
How in the world did you read that as directed at you instead of LaRoche?

COZ

Post by COZ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:34 pm

Captain Hook wrote:

COZ
Perry, why the let the facts get in the way of unleashing a good rant and spinning a narrative?!?! This is 2016 where we react first and gather facts later. ; )

Since I am not a journalist, and this is merely a forum to discuss things of interest to us, I really do not have any ethical responsibility to gather information before publishing, especially since much of this information that you mentioned came to light later. But your point is well taken, the things you mentioned do make the situation more complex than originally thought. I still stand by original post and back the White Sox position on this, but they likely should not have agreed to & enabled this situation in the first place.

That having been said, LaRoche's comment that Jim posted, to me, says about all I need to know about Adam LaRoche: "We're not big on school. He's going to learn a lot more useful information in the clubhouse than he will in the classroom, as far as life lessons." Indeed. He's clearly as selfish as a parent as he is a teammate. By the sound of their "parenting" beliefs, I'm guessing they probably also think Jenny McCarthy was right and they're "not big on" vaccinations, either. It's time this "don't-tell-me-how-to-raise-MY-child" crap is no longer tolerated. But there I go again, spinning narratives again without facts. :lol:

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
Edwards Kings wrote:
How in the world did you read that as directed at you instead of LaRoche?
No, I know it was not directed at me. Seems like you were taking a slap a fundamentalist Christians and home schoolers. I guess I missed the joke.

I am good. Moving on.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Edwards Kings wrote: No, I know it was not directed at me. Seems like you were taking a slap a fundamentalist Christians and home schoolers. I guess I missed the joke.
What's wrong with taking a slap at something you disagree with? Religions seem far too sensitive to criticism - they dish it out non-stop, can't take it in return. Let the people have their freedoms and opinions so long as they don't infringe on others' rights. No one should be above criticism, that is not a "right".

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Correct. Free speech is a nearly absolute right. How one practices that right is the true measure. Like I wrote, I obviously missed the joke.
Charles Krauthammer

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Correct. Free speech is a nearly absolute right. How one practices that right is the true measure. Like I wrote, I obviously missed the joke.
I wasn't making a joke. The joke is that LaRoche totally thinks he's being a great parent when that article is crawling with disturbing shit. They said this 14 year old has no friends his own age and he doesn't go to school. How is he supposed to develop normal social skills? Is he supposed to live off dad's money when he grows up? And what life lessons is he going to learn in the White Sox lockerroom? Will Avisail Garcia tell him about how he was slamhounding the wife of the clean up hitter on his last team? As far as I can see, the only life lesson Adam taught him was, "If you don't get your way, pick up your ball and go home".

And I've got something you can measure. :lol:

EWeaver

Post by EWeaver » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:41 pm

to give up $13,000,000.00 because you can't bring your kid to work everyday (and not just to work, but to the conference room when the meeting is happening) is an insult to anybody but the most entitled, privileged, out-of-touch members of the human race.

kudos to laroche for having a skill that allowed him to be so rich that his "i'm the center of the universe" self-perception could play itself out beyond the walls of a jail cell.

what a piece of shit. play the year out, have drake stay in the hotel half the day (or hire an au pair to whisk him around america's finest cities) and in the front row during the games, donate the left over $12,828,000 to a charity for kids who don't have a dad.

sickening

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:08 pm

This is how it looks to me ... loses confidence/desire to compete, and rather than appear to retire with his tail between his .207-hitting legs he decides to make a play for hero status with a pre-announced "statement" press conference about family. Do it quietly and maybe he gets the respect of those close to him, but pandering for sympathy in public makes him look like a narcissistic fool.

COZ

Post by COZ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:38 pm

KJ Duke wrote:This is how it looks to me ... loses confidence/desire to compete, and rather than appear to retire with his tail between his .207-hitting legs he decides to make a play for hero status with a pre-announced "statement" press conference about family. Do it quietly and maybe he gets the respect of those close to him, but pandering for sympathy in public makes him look like a narcissistic fool.
YES! Nicely played. :D

COZ
COZ

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:53 am

Yah Mule wrote:And I've got something you can measure. :lol:
Ha! Now THAT is funny! :D :lol:

Charles Krauthammer

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:31 am

COZ

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:49 am

while I am generally on the side of home schooling - in this case it just seems laroche is acting like an elitist ballplayer. rather have his kids hang out with "pros" than kids. While everyone has a different definition of maturity, I certainly feel most athletes are immature. It is almost a byproduct of fame and $ at an early age. Not surprising that Bryce Harper is in Laroche's corner. As a Sox fan- the bad news is: 1) the players sided with Laroche 2) Williams let this go on for a year and most of this spring training before he brought it up and 3) most important he went right past Hahn to do it. Williams is smart guy that completely misuses his intelligence. He has no plan and never has. He does something and then uses his brain to re-engineer it to look or sound good instead of having a plan and tweaking it along the way. MAYBE Hahn knew. MAYBE Williams waited to see if Laroche was going to play hard this year and when he saw Laroche was not that interested- he did this knowing Laroche would quit. That would be really smart and planned out- which is out of character for Kenny

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:And I've got something you can measure. :lol:
Ha! Now THAT is funny! :D :lol:

Can you post the results in centimeters? Sounds bigger that way. 8-)

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:30 pm

Guess I'm on the other side of the argument....

LaRouche apparently had a deal with the team and the team went back on the deal. Seems to me that the life lessons he is teaching is son are as follows:
* A man's word is his bond
* When you make a lot of money, you don't have to put up with management BS.

The fact that his teammates almost 100% took his side tells me something.