Do not draft with list?

Steel Lugnuts

Re: Do not draft with list?

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Yah Mule wrote:Unfortunately, there are no fast options for the $400 DC. I'm in the 14th round of a DC that started six days ago. It's like watching natural erosion.
Consider yourself lucky, day 9 still in the 15th rd.

Homer Hankies

Post by Homer Hankies » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:47 pm

BK METS wrote:This thread (and the ones every year since the inception of the DC format) are pretty entertaining since we are in February and wanting these to end quickly will accomplish what? Sure, if a drafter is purposely and obnoxiously wasting the clock just to frustrate other drafters, then something should be done to move things along (like contact Greg). But I can tell you that most of the time, it is a new drafter who takes the 8 hours as it is stated and is not pushing to make picks because they don't get it. There is no simple answer. Having a special clock for overnights is not something that is going to happen. If it gets closer to the season and it needs to be rushed along, it will be. The best answer is draft in a 4 hour clock league or do a cutline or fast DC. There are alternatives.
I believe the simple answer would be to create a players code of conduct as a drop down when signing up. We the players created this contest and this is how us DRAFTER'S will participate.

4 hour leagues should be done in 5-7 days very fast paced with good communication in the chat and picks made in minutes not hours.
6 hour leagues should be done in 14-21 days with little to no communication but still managing 2.5-4 plus rounds a day.
8 hour leagues get done by opening day or you get a refund!!

I did the last 4hr league last year and it took 20 plus days and had the clock adjusted to finish in time. So unless their is better communication from stats to the new players (other than some post on the mb that has to be brought up again from Greg when one of these posts appear) this great contest will never grow to what it can be.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:54 pm

BK METS wrote:This thread (and the ones every year since the inception of the DC format) are pretty entertaining since we are in February and wanting these to end quickly will accomplish what? Sure, if a drafter is purposely and obnoxiously wasting the clock just to frustrate other drafters, then something should be done to move things along (like contact Greg). But I can tell you that most of the time, it is a new drafter who takes the 8 hours as it is stated and is not pushing to make picks because they don't get it. There is no simple answer. Having a special clock for overnights is not something that is going to happen. If it gets closer to the season and it needs to be rushed along, it will be. The best answer is draft in a 4 hour clock league or do a cutline or fast DC. There are alternatives.
Come on BK, give me a break. Who's saying they want these to end quickly? I'm pretty sure everyone that complains realize these are not a fast DC or a 4-hr, but is asking to complete 2-rds a day too much to ask? That's over 3-weeks, should be a reasonable time frame. Not too mention I'd like to join more DC's, but don't want to be in more than one at a time, and I know others feel the same way. The longer these drag on cannot be good for Stats/NFBC.

I do agree that there is no simple answer for these 8-hr, in fact, there's probably no answer for those that decide they want to take as much of the clock as possible. And why do you say a special clock for overnights is not going to happen? Is that because the software is so old it cannot be changed to add this feature? I've been in plenty leagues/drafts over the years where this works great, I don't see any downside to have the timer stopped overnight if a league warrants it.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:39 am

Last edited by Yah Mule on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:44 pm

Tom Wojciechowski (Iqaluit, Canada)

This guy was pretty bad my first draft, and I mentioned him in this thread but he did just good enough in the end that I removed his name. However, he ended up entering another league AFTER I had joined, and I almost bailed, but decided to stay the course. What a mistake! He'll do the usual 3-4 hrs, then pick within a few minutes on occasion, etc...but rd 20, during prime evening hours, he took the FULL 8hrs. Now we are in rd 24, again, prime drafting hrs, and he's going on 7hrs and will more than likely use the full 8hrs.

What's worse, this guy must have recruited a fellow d-bag from far northern Iqaluit, Canada (Jonathan Levy). They both signed up at the same time and both are doing their best to sabotage the league. I noted Team Levy early on in the draft being an issue, then Wojo and decided to look at the signup list, and put 2 and 2 together.

Stay far away from these two clowns, and if you don't remember their names, just remember IQALUIT, CANADA!

BTW - About to end Day 15 and still in the beginning of round 24. And there are probably 3 or 4 other players in the league which deserve mentioning!

What's funny is, both teams suck, especially Team Levy...he ended up with Lance Lynn, who's out for the year. :lol:

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:20 am

Last edited by Yah Mule on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandckaye

Post by sandckaye » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:41 am

This is why I haven't done A DC this yr and wont unless its a Fast (Run by Dan or Mike) draft..I wonder how many others quit playing for he same reason

Stan

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:17 am

Ok well I'm new to the NFBC but not new to slow drafts. In the DC's I did it was brutal! It's all about flow and being a normal human being! People need to realize the time limit is at 8 to account for sleep hrs and a few times during 50 rds where something came up. We all have stuff going on in life but it seems the slow people have something every rd and it just ruins the attitudes of everyone else and makes these no fun its like playing chess with the computer. No chat after rd 3 and nobody cares. When i get up in the morning and check and there are 2 picks before me and I check in at least once an hr and it's 3 in the afternoon and we are still on the same pick it's irritating. I have not joined another DC and probably won't unless it is the one that is facilitated by the guys.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:40 am

Okay, Stan and Bruce and others who want a faster paced draft, let's form one today. If fast is really all you're looking for rather than winning the league (which sounds like Bruce is doing, which would make anyone happy) then let's form one right now. I'll run it and make sure it goes at the pace you want. Just 15 guys like Stan and Bruce and others who want this to move along.

I'll start the thread right now. We'll set it at 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours but everyone agrees to pick 5-6 rounds a day, whatever you want. Let's fill it up and go at just the pace you guys want. It is self serving to bash this format when it's drawing dozens of new players per day. Why not just fill one up at your pace and keep everyone happy?

I'll start it now. I'll call it the Steel Lugnuts DC Special. Here we go.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:58 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Okay, Stan and Bruce and others who want a faster paced draft, let's form one today. If fast is really all you're looking for rather than winning the league (which sounds like Bruce is doing, which would make anyone happy) then let's form one right now. I'll run it and make sure it goes at the pace you want. Just 15 guys like Stan and Bruce and others who want this to move along.

I'll start the thread right now. We'll set it at 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours but everyone agrees to pick 5-6 rounds a day, whatever you want. Let's fill it up and go at just the pace you guys want. It is self serving to bash this format when it's drawing dozens of new players per day. Why not just fill one up at your pace and keep everyone happy?

I'll start it now. I'll call it the Steel Lugnuts DC Special. Here we go.
Well, seems strange you would put out that blurb of info at the start of signups so everyone knows the proper etiquette of slow drafts, then give us a hard time when we call people out for not following the proper etiquette. And I'm not bashing the format, I'm bashing the A-Holes that are ruining the format. And seeing that I don't want to do another DC while in another one, and this one being in the 24th round, it will be a couple more weeks before I'm ready to do another one. lol

Also, all I'm asking for is at least 2-rds a day, is that asking too much? We didn't get even one rd in yesterday. If that's what you mean by "faster paced", then yeah, I guess that's what I'm asking. Not saying 5 or 6 rds a day.

BTW - Tommy Wojo boy took the ful 8hrs, twice in the last 4-rds. This guy has said nothing in chat or emails about any "internet" issues or whatever reason he's taking for using full 8hrs. This guy is doing this shit on purpose, it's not his first league. But apparently this is OK!

EDIT: Team Levy, Wojo's buddy, is going on 4hrs and will probably use 8hr, these two are killing the draft on purpose. I think Greg/Tom might want to look into these guys, and they should be banned from the NFBC IMO.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:48 am

While I do sense, and understand, Greg's frustration with this thread (judging from his response), but he has to understand where we are coming from as well. A better response probably would have been "hey guys, I'll look into the teams mentioned and see if I can push them along or at least see why they are using the full 8hrs, etc...in the meantime, I can setup a special DC called Steel Lugnuts DC that would move along at a faster pace than 1 to 1 1/2 rds a day you are currently experiencing". :D

For any newbies reading this, it really is a great format, so don't let this thread scare you off, just know that you may end up with a team or two, or three, in your league that decide to take the full 8hrs to make a pick. Doesn't happen all the time, just know it may happen. And I've actually seen where calling these teams out, actually makes them go faster at times and pick up the pace. So while Greg/Tom do try and discourage this at signups, it isn't full proof.
Last edited by Steel Lugnuts on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:02 am

I resigned myself to the fact that this guy is going to suck the air out of the draft every round. In fact, nobody mentioned him by name. Just the usual general pleading that people might consider utilizing auto one in round 45. Then the guy gets into chat to portray himself as a victim, call names and taunt people. Fine. I'm going to call him out on his bullshit.
Last edited by Yah Mule on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:03 am

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:EDIT: Team Levy, Wojo's buddy, is going on 4hrs and will probably use 8hr, these two are killing the draft on purpose. I think Greg/Tom might want to look into these guys, and they should be banned from the NFBC IMO.
Now we're starting a banned from the NFBC list? Sheesh. :shock:

I've asked anyone who has any issues with anyone in any league to email me directly at [email protected] and I will call people and email them. Never once have you emailed me to discuss this draft or to contact any owners. You've just added to this list and now asked me to ban owners from the NFBC.

Bruce, I'm not trying to come down on anyone who has issues with this format. Heck, Stan says he doesn't play anymore but understands that there is a format for him when the Fast DCs come around. You have done two DCs and you've hated both. I'm giving you an option to do one with NFBC veterans at a faster pace. I list every name of every league, so you can easily wait until 14 guys are signed up that you feel comfortable with and then take the last spot. Or you can do the league I'm offering. Or maybe this isn't the best format for your patience, which is why we offer Cutlines, DC Express Leagues or the Fast DCs. And I'm even volunteering to monitor your league to keep YOU happy.

Yesterday we sold out 5 DC Leagues. And today we're back with this thread calling out two new owners. And you wonder why I roll my eyes? Again, contact me and I'll put a bug in their asses if needed. We had one league yesterday where a guy timed out in the first round and was going to time out in the second round. I kept calling him, he finally got in and now that league is moving. That's how it can work, rather than BANNING people from the NFBC forever.

Just my two cents.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:04 am

Yah Mule wrote:I resigned myself to the fact that this guy is going to suck the air out of the draft every round. In fact, nobody mentioned him by name. Just the usual general pleading that people might consider utilizing auto one in round 45. Then the guy gets into chat to portray himself as a victim, call names and taunt people. Fine. I'm going to call him out on his bullshit.
I know you are a man of patience Jim, so things must not be going well there. But enter the Steel Lugnuts DC and you'll have 15 like-minded NFBC veterans drafting together. Start it out and I'm sure others will follow.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:17 am

"You have done two DCs and you've hated both" - Not true, that league was pretty good, just ask Dan, just the one dude that everyone had issues with. There was lots of chatting going on and was generally a good time. No one chatting in league 57, so yeah, along with the slooooowness, it is kind of boring.

"We had one league yesterday where a guy timed out in the first round and was going to time out in the second round" - While this does suck, not the same when you have a repeat offender doing this in rd 20 and rd 24.

Also, I'm not entirely sure you read all my responses, but I'll be done with this thread and try not to bump it to the top anymore (although I think it should be pinned) LOL Again, just an opinion, like banning those that obviously ruin a draft on purpose. Not sure why that is such a crazy idea, seen it in other drafts/leagues.

BartoloColonsFitbit

Post by BartoloColonsFitbit » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:29 am

Yah Mule wrote:Errol Thompson: NFBC Time Bandit.
I'm in a league with him now. He's not that bad. Owns a business and goes to bed at a reasonable hour. Don't think he really belongs on the list.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:31 am

BartoloColonsFitbit wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:Errol Thompson: NFBC Time Bandit.
I'm in a league with him now. He's not that bad. Owns a business and goes to bed at a reasonable hour. Don't think he really belongs on the list.
I would agree.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

BartoloColonsFitbit

Post by BartoloColonsFitbit » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:32 am

One of my league mates once said... NFBC should keep track of the slow drafters and put them all in one event. Call it the NFBC tortoise draft. Unfortunately you'd have to start it in October.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:39 am

"Then the guy gets into chat to portray himself as a victim, call names and taunt people."

How can anyone be fine with this B.S.?? This is the definition of someone I don't want to draft with.

Corleone

Post by Corleone » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:58 am

I've been participating in these DC's for several years and love the format. I used to get really pissed off about slow drafters, now I resign myself to it if I'm in one of the 'regular' 8 hour versions. It is extremely unlikely that you are going to get 15 guys who are on the ball and wanting to draft quick enough to get more than a couple rounds per day done if you sign up for the regular 8 hour version.

Of course it's a whole other level when a guy is purposely draining his clock and is being a smartass about it in chat.

A wise man once said "Some drafters aren't looking for anything logical, like fast moving drafts. They can't be be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some drafters just want to watch the draft room burn."

NFBC Jokers - the ban hammer should be an option for them methinks.

The 'fast' version when administered by the right person is definitely the most enjoyable form of this draft type. Getting 50 rounds done in about 5 days is just about perfect IMO.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:00 pm

Sorry to post my opinions on this post. But why is it always about getting a bunch of us together that are like minded and having a fast DC? Shouldn't we be putting the few that are dragging these down in "their own DC?" I mean we all like to chat and have a good time and glow in these but it hasn't happened in the 2 I've been in. Yes we finished in good time but that's usually because most people pick up the slack. Some people don't even check in before work or at lunch? Really? That's not a responsibility of everyone in these drafts? Some people will time out then it picks someone in their que. That's real irritating because we know they could have used auto 1 but choose not too. And another thing is it's always the same people that are busy. Really? During primetime hrs and weekends is it really that hard to check in while everyone is expecting things to move along during those hrs? I also own a business and in construction so I'm pretty busy myself but I wouldn't sign up for these if I couldn't or won't make it a priority to check in with draft as there are 14 other people wanting to draft. They also paid their money it's not all about me and it seems none of these people care about anyone but themselves. As for joining the Steel Lugs draft I will have to pass as right now I can't dedicate time to the draft and chat and concentrating on picks as I need to in these. But I will join one of these in the future when I have time. And that should be how it is you only join if you can and will have time to be curteous to other owners.

stevek7525

Post by stevek7525 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm in the same league as the original poster of this thread. While it was frustrating to see Team Fonte constantly milk the clock, the good news is that because he timed out in two straight rounds, he was placed on permanent auto-pick starting in round 29. So that led to him making such lovely auto-picks as Wilin Rosario and Erisbel Arruebarrena (too bad he didn't also draft Jenry Mejia, because that would have been just so awesome :D ).

While there were a couple other guys who took their sweet time in making their pics, we ended up finishing our draft on 02/09, 25 days after the 01/16 start of our draft. So for all the complaining we did on our league chat about the slow drafters and WTF this draft is never going to end and Greg/Tom can you please help speed this along, the bottom line is that our draft is finally over, we averaged two rounds a day... and now we still have to wait over a month and half before the season starts!

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Gb2715 wrote:Sorry to post my opinions on this post. But why is it always about getting a bunch of us together that are like minded and having a fast DC? Shouldn't we be putting the few that are dragging these down in "their own DC?" I mean we all like to chat and have a good time and glow in these but it hasn't happened in the 2 I've been in. Yes we finished in good time but that's usually because most people pick up the slack. Some people don't even check in before work or at lunch? Really? That's not a responsibility of everyone in these drafts? Some people will time out then it picks someone in their que. That's real irritating because we know they could have used auto 1 but choose not too. And another thing is it's always the same people that are busy. Really? During primetime hrs and weekends is it really that hard to check in while everyone is expecting things to move along during those hrs? I also own a business and in construction so I'm pretty busy myself but I wouldn't sign up for these if I couldn't or won't make it a priority to check in with draft as there are 14 other people wanting to draft. They also paid their money it's not all about me and it seems none of these people care about anyone but themselves. As for joining the Steel Lugs draft I will have to pass as right now I can't dedicate time to the draft and chat and concentrating on picks as I need to in these. But I will join one of these in the future when I have time. And that should be how it is you only join if you can and will have time to be curteous to other owners.
Well said! +1 :)

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:20 pm

"...the good news is that because he timed out in two straight rounds, he was placed on permanent auto-pick starting in round 29." - The problem is, the guy just has to check in and remove auto pick, and he's back to taking 8hrs...it isn't permanent, like it should be.

stevek7525

Post by stevek7525 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:25 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:"...the good news is that because he timed out in two straight rounds, he was placed on permanent auto-pick starting in round 29." - The problem is, the guy just has to check in and remove auto pick, and he's back to taking 8hrs...it isn't permanent, like it should be.
Greg, if you're reading this, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you mentioned that the auto-picking becomes permanent if someone times out in two straight rounds? All I know is that Fonte never went off auto-pick after round 29.