Edwards Kings 2015 Main Event Blog

Edwards Kings

Edwards Kings 2015 Main Event Blog

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:26 am

Was it me, or was the sun shining a little brighter this year in Vegas? No, it wasn’t the gleam off the heads of those friends of mine who are folically challenged…no use calling you out…we and you know who you are!

No, it wasn’t that. Maybe it was because my wife was with me? I would say yes (and certainly did to her face), but she is with me pretty much 365, so it had to be something else. Oh yes, I know. It was getting the #1 Pick! That is what brought the sunshine!

As I told to several at the Main, I wish I had the cajones to go against conventional wisdom to be “the guy” who did not pick Trout, but end the end, I chose brains over balls.

I had no expectation of getting the #1 pick though I did KDS one then two then the middle. I just did not expect it to happen. So I spent most of the winter planning to draft out of the middle. Drafting on either end changes things. Not necessarily what types of players I want, but the frequency and scope of reaches is intensified. But there is no news there. Last year I picked from #15 and made many errors, including not recognizing the need to draft pitching early enough to mitigate the fact that within the 28 players that would be picked before the next turn, pitching would be the most vulnerable to runs that could decimate your plans. So, I made sure I addressed that by changing my strategy just a little. As long as I thought it would take me to establish my pitching, I would draft at least one pitcher at each turn. This lasted all the way to the 16/17 turn.

And this draft was unique to me. With all of the injuries and under-producing players from 2014, there seemed to me to be a pool of players in the mid- and mid-late rounds that had dropped significantly from the prior year whom we were all (or mostly) high on and that also were rather homogenous. Not special, just deep and wide. This made players with unique features stand out a bit more and this lead to me to take the players I thought would be unique enough to help my team. What was unique to me? Later round picks who, when playing given some may be injury prone, hit in the meat of their respective orders or up in the order with speed.

No real change my overall strategy. Not really a “Stars n Scrubs” but still a little more bottom up than that and totally focused on points. Batting points I am breaking down in three groups because each is separate and distinct from each other. Stolen bases are a class by themselves. An add-on as far as I am concerned and barely related to the other categories. Batting average is another class because batting average doesn’t care if you are a power hitter, a Judy, or one of the many that fall in between. Finally, something I call “Total Points” is the third and of course is made up of homeruns, runs batting in, and runs scored. I add up the three to judge the relative value in this combined category. Some few of the guys who get large amounts of runs scored do not hit many homeruns or drive in many runs either, but that class is small. Within a relatively narrow range, skewed for where the at bats occur in the lineup, if a guy is going to hit so many homeruns, he will have so many RBI’s and runs scored.

For total points, however, it allows you to separate the sheep from the goats. Assume your bats by position generate on average 60 runs, 15 homeruns, and 60 runs batting in to go with a very conservative 5 stolen bases. One thing is almost certainly going to happen. You will be last in your league in points in those categories. Over the course of the year you would have generated 840 R, 210 HR, 840 RBI and about 70 SB. Honestly, you really have to work pretty hard (or quit) to do worse than that. But there are a lot of players out there that are plus or minus just a few ticks off those marks. They will not be hard to find. The opposite of scarce.

What does that give me? If I plan on half or so of my players getting those points, I have cut my population of primary concern and premium in half as well. For total points, I can concentrate on getting skills in six or seven players. Once I draft or buy those guys, the rest of the population becomes ducks on the pond. Or better yet, like prom dates. Readily available and easier to replace. Of course, the Super Six will have to produce which we all know is no guarantee. But at this stage where we are all essentially tied for first, every players potential is in front of them and absent any disappointment.

What does the Super Six need to do? I changed this a bit from last year. I focused more on RBI’s early because I think there are good pools of runs available later (i.e. it will be easier to get someone who will get 70 runs than it will be to get 65 RBI’s) later in the draft. I also mapped out two strategies based on whether or not one player would be available to me at the 2/3 turn. Not the smartest move (focusing on the one player), but teamed with Trout, I would go ahead and try to get the vaunted 75/75 out of my first three offensive players.

Also, perhaps incorrectly, I think the MI players available in the middle and late rounds have the potential to help my team, so I will not reach for the position early (though I knew I would reach if I found myself in trouble for speed). I planned to be and was basically blind to position because there are plenty the “average” guys out there. I recognize for every guy who has no real chance to get more than 10 homeruns, I will need a guy who has a chance to get 20. This is doable but increasingly tough. There were 82 guys who hit at least 18 homeruns in 2013 and only 67 last year.

I will no longer avoid the Judy’s. If I have to get one in order to secure SB (something I have not done successfully in several years), I at least want to get guys hitting from the lead-off or #2 spot in the line-up to help with runs scored as well.

At the end of the day, I want somewhere at least (preferably north of) a 0.270 BA (remember when it was 0.280?), 1,000 runs, 250 HR, 975 RBI’s, and 155 SB. No big mystery here as those numbers would put you at or just above 80% of available batting points in the Main overall last year.

For pitching in the Main Event, I really liked what I did last year and feel the staff ended up doing pretty well outside of saves. One team really dominated my league and five of us were within 4.5 points of each other. One of my closers crapped out and the third closer I drafted ended up not being such a bargain. I also ended up mid-pack in K’s. Going one pitcher at every turn I hope I can develop a solid staff. The conventional wisdom is that “good” pitching is deep. Maybe so, but having to target team marks like 100 Wins, 85 Saves, 1,400 K’s, a 3.300 ERA and a 1.200 WHIP means that pitchers who are only good can actually hurt you.

You know…Todd Zola said picking Trout was not necessarily so easy because given history odds are the #1 pick will not be the #1 fantasy player at the end of the year. True, but it is not about picking the #1 fantasy player as much as it is picking someone who is going to be a safe anchor. We all (I think) know that. And I agree with Todd…but you know players can have bad years, good years, great years, and EPIC years…Trout is the only player I can think of who has the best chance at an epic year. Maybe even the first 40/40 since the steroid era. Not likely, but it could happen….

As it turned out, the player I wanted at the 2/3 turn was there. I wasn’t sure it was going to happen as the list of guys who I would have been happy with was shortening up as Puig, Springer, Harper, Braun, and Ellsbury all dropped in the run up to me. I still had Rendon, Frazier, Upton, Dickerson and Adrian Gonzalez available, but I took “Clarice” Starling Marte. The guy came into last year took a fastball off his helmet, dealt with a personal loss, and still managed to produce great numbers. Coming into his prime, we could see even more. My only knock on Marte is he will probably bat fifth in that lineup behind Walker. Would love to see him up higher.

For my first pitcher, I wanted Strasburg, Price, Sale, or Bumgarner. The latter two were still available and I went with Sale. Yes I know he will one day have TJS (who hasn’t or won’t?), and he may not have thirty starts, but he had 208 K’s last year in 26 starts, so I have high expectations. His ERA may go all the way up to 2.50 and his WHIP may crack 1.00. The horror...the horror...

At 4/5 I tandemed Brian Dozier with Cole Hamels. Hamels I hope will be traded to a team that has a chance to improve his win potential. Otherwise I am looking for another mid-2’s ERA with a 1.10 WHIP and 200 more K’s. Dozier, while a bit of a BA drag (unless he maintains his improvement against RHers and regains a little former glory against LHers), but he will be a source of runs, HR and SB. With Marte and Trout, I have a real shot at 75+HR and 75+ SB from the combo.

I continue the trend at 6/7 and make my first “strategic” (code for possible stupid) move. Victor Martinez was there and I needed a corner. The age, the soreness already in his surgically-repaired knee…I just could not pull the trigger. I instead went for Trumbo who should hit clean-up in the desert. Trumbo is certainly not going to help my BA and he will lose AB as Arizona tries to find AB for Tomas, but he is younger, hits the ball hard in a hitters park and 2013 was not so long ago. For pitching, I went for Julio Teheran. There were some good pitchers out there (Carrasco, Wood, Wacha, Gio) but Julio was the highest ranked available to me. OK...so it was a bit of a Homey pick...

What I expected did happen as we had our first true closer run. I took the gamble that someone I would want would be left 28 picks later.

I was right. I like Glen Perkins and at the very least he will strike out more than a batter per inning and can get 35+ saves on what will be a mediocre team at best. Maybe because I felt I was being discriminatory to the older players, maybe because I felt he has slipped too far, but in any regard my next pick was Matt Holliday. Yes, he is 35 and sometime he will decline. I hope it is not this year. Hitting third in that line-up he should rack up great runs and RBI’s with decent power and BA. Hell, he may even steal five or so bases. He still hits the ball hard and if a few more are line drives, he could actually help BA.

I am now sitting at 10/11 and another six closers have gone. I wanted another one and I am high on Addison Reed with his 10.0 K/9 arm. Of course, he is altering his deliver and he has only appeared in about two spring training games, so I know I have made a risky call. Eric Hosmer. He is ancient, right? Been around forever, right? Only 25 and conventional wisdom has it that he is what he is (or has done). He hits the ball hard, just on the ground too much. Even a little more loft and we can party like it is 2011 again.

12/13 I begin to ask the age old question “Can you win an NFBC Main with three Brewer pitchers and two Toronto catchers?” I take Mike Fiers who I expect to be good this year and if he can get closer to 200 IP maybe even a real contributor. Maybe he finally figured it out at 30. Who knows. And Russell Martin, who now is back in a hitters park and probably batting second. Likey, likey.

At 14/15 I went with Pedro Alvarez and Jake Odorizzi. Alvarez will take his iron glove to first base this year. Remember when Encarnacion made the switch? All that stands in his way is Corey Hart (well, and maybe ability…we will see). Funny thing. I “know” Odorizzi, where he plays, what he has done. But I have never seen him pitch, which makes me nervous. Shandler is high on him, which is good enough for me, so...

Shut the hell up!

At 16/17 I went with Shelby Miller and Asdrubal Cabrera. Now I have two Braves pitchers. YeeeHawww! Miller is 24 and learned a new pitch last year. Is it unreasonable to ask for six times September? Cabrera is gonna give you a few runs, a few HR, a few RBI, and a few SB but the last two years his BA sucks. Only 29 with a good profile (GB/LD/FB, Hctx, contact, etc.), I just do not know why he doesn’t hit for better average. Supposedly will hit third with Jennings and Jaso ahead and Longoria and Loney behind. Likely not to last if they drop Jennings down in the order.

18/19 is the first combo where I do not pick a pitcher. I grabbed Bourn because after my Trout/Marte/Dozier start, there is not much by way of speed. Should help in runs as well hitting atop the Indians line-up. I also grabbed Vogt. Won’t be a catcher to start but will be in 10-12 games. May be a late developing catcher with slightly better than league average power.

At 20/21 I grabbed Teixeira and Garza. Garza is my second Brewer pitcher and gets no love. Only 31 and had a good second half around the oblique strain. Big Tex can’t beat the shift, but he still hit better than 20 HR last year and plans to bat 4th on those days he can jump start his nuts.

22/23 is my second Toronto catcher (Dioner Navarro) who can hold the fort until Vogt or maybe be a streaming option if he can get traded and Jimmy Nelson, my third Brewer pitcher who may have more upside than Fiers, if that tells you anything.

24/25 Bud Norris with 15 Wins, a 3.65 ERA and a 1.22 WHIP last year…ok, I will take a flyer on a repeat and Nori Aoki who will not help much outside of a little BA and SB, but can help in runs if he supplants Pagan at the top of the Giant line-up.

26/27 Whoops! Need a MI or two so I took Freddy Galvis (hitting second in Philly and has enough pop for 15 HR if he gets anywhere near 500 AB) and Joe Panik (hitting second in SF and may have better than average average and speed). Neither will win it for me but both are better than some other MI already taken.

28/29 I take Clevelands next starting shortstop Fancisco Lindor and Chris Johnson whose only saving grace is he plays third base.

And Mr. Irrelevant – MELVIN UPTON! Ok, so now I have a few Braves, but Melvin is actually quite interesting. Any improvement over last year and his average can fly all the way up to .240 and I believe he can be a 20/20 guy or maybe 15/15 by the time he plays. Try that for the 450th player taken! OK...just kidding...I got him for the pleasure of eventually cutting him...something the Braves won't do!

Right now my team looks like this to me….

At the end of the year, it may look like this…

But then again, maybe not!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

NorCalAtlFan

Re: Edwards Kings 2015 Main Event Blog

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:44 am

Braves suck! :(

Good read Wayne. Good to finally meet you out in Vegas.

I look forward to reading your updates.

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Love it Wayne. Looks like we are on some similiar players this year. Will be interesting to compare and contrast each other this year. Let's go 1-2 in the Main and really give them something to talk about!

slopshot

Post by slopshot » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:31 am

Nice write up Wayne, interesting going hitter pitcher every other pick. The choice you had in the second with Puig,Harper and Marte was a nice list to choose from. Did Puig or Harper make it back to you in the third ? Good luck this year, I look forward to reading your blog as the season goes on.

I have the third pick in Chicago this weekend. As much as I would like to try pitcher hitter every other pick but doubt I can employ that this year. I have a decent plan of attack but the need for SAVES and where to grab them seem to be giving me a problem when I get suck on the ends.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:58 am

slopshot wrote:Nice write up Wayne, interesting going hitter pitcher every other pick. The choice you had in the second with Puig,Harper and Marte was a nice list to choose from. Did Puig or Harper make it back to you in the third ? Good luck this year, I look forward to reading your blog as the season goes on.

I have the third pick in Chicago this weekend. As much as I would like to try pitcher hitter every other pick but doubt I can employ that this year. I have a decent plan of attack but the need for SAVES and where to grab them seem to be giving me a problem when I get suck on the ends.

Puig and Harper were gone in the run up to my second round pick. Rendon, Frazier, Upton, Dickerson and Adrian Gonzalez were on the remaining list of viable options if Marte had also been taken. If, for some reason, Puig had dropped (I did not expect him to really), I probably would have jumped on him despite my man crush on Marte.

Saves in my draft seemed to be going for a premium as far as which rounds they were going with a big run going away from me in the seventh and eighth round. I was going to get a closer 8/9 in my "plan" but in hindsight, I think I waited too long being on the end.

Good luck!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:02 am

NorCalAtlFan wrote:Braves suck! :(

Nice meeting you too. And yes...yes they do with loud, slurping noises...BUT...their pitching is not a cakewalk to the other teams and if they swing to contact this year, they could...COULD...make it interesting (though if the Nats don't blow this division away, something is seriously wrong) until they firesale the rest of their vets for some outfield and thirdbase prospects.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:04 am

Doctor Who wrote:Love it Wayne. Looks like we are on some similiar players this year. Will be interesting to compare and contrast each other this year. Let's go 1-2 in the Main and really give them something to talk about!
Sounds good to me. I will even let you take....second... :D :lol:

Just read your write-up. Very nice and we do seem to have several players in common. Good luck!
Last edited by Edwards Kings on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:35 am

Good stuff as always my friend. A great read and a very nice looking team. I'm looking forward to see how it plays out this year while following this thread. And great seeing you again in Vegas. Only 365 days 'til next year's event!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:03 am

Thanks Glenn! Great seeing you too and I am sorry we did not end up in a league together this year.
Charles Krauthammer

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:13 am

Edwards Kings wrote:Thanks Glenn! Great seeing you too and I am sorry we did not end up in a league together this year.
Don't be Wayne! You would have heard stuff the entire draft like, "I hate my team, why did I just draft this guy, I am just donating money, who put me in this league with these sharks, etc, etc"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:15 am

For no other reason than it just didn't fit the way my teams were developed, Joey Votto is not on any of my 2015 exercises in futility. It is a shame. I did, more for a joke for my friend and fellow Votto enthusiast Dan Kenyon, place a small $20 bet on Votto. The category for the bet is "2015 Regular Season Home Runs". My bet is that Votto will have more than anyone else. Just a long-shot bet that was worth it because it got a belly laugh out of Dan. How long-shot? Same odds as the field (i.e. the longest available). But just for shits and giggles, I thought as part of my blog this year, I will track Joey Votto's homeruns against whomever else is either leading (probably) or in second place (much less likely). You never know. I seriously doubt any of us saw Joey Bautista leading the Majors in homeruns in 2010? Hummm....

Current Tally

Joey Votto 0
Everybody Else 0

Already tied for first. Looking good.... ;)
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:15 am

Edwards Kings wrote:For no other reason than it just didn't fit the way my teams were developed, Joey Votto is not on any of my 2015 exercises in futility. It is a shame. I did, more for a joke for my friend and fellow Votto enthusiast Dan Kenyon, place a small $20 bet on Votto. The category for the bet is "2015 Regular Season Home Runs". My bet is that Votto will have more than anyone else. Just a long-shot bet that was worth it because it got a belly laugh out of Dan. How long-shot? Same odds as the field (i.e. the longest available). But just for shits and giggles, I thought as part of my blog this year, I will track Joey Votto's homeruns against whomever else is either leading (probably) or in second place (much less likely). You never know. I seriously doubt any of us saw Joey Bautista leading the Majors in homeruns in 2010? Hummm....

Current Tally

Joey Votto 0
Everybody Else 0

Already tied for first. Looking good.... ;)

One of the funniest things I saw in Vegas was that ticket, Wayne!
Best of luck in th wobegone adventure :D and I will keep my promise of lauding Votto if he becomes the 'Sultan of Swat' over the 'Brigadier of the Base on Balls'

Votto has the most intriguing stats in baseball.
Do I want him on my fantasy team?
Oh, heck no!
But, he is soooo intriguing.
The last three years have not been kind to him or his owners, right?
What if I told you he has done something elite that does not involve walks?
He has.

Most hitters love hitting with no strikes. They revel in it. Votto is no exception. In fact, Votto loves it to the Nth degree.
Here is what Votto has done during his last three down years with 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, and 3-0 pitches....

.440/24/55 in 275 at bats

Votto owners, THIS is where you make your hay.
If you have a chance of winning your bet, Wayne, Votto will need a lot of these counts! :D
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:56 am

dear dan" Doughboys" - since you called me out i have hit a homer, driven in about 10 and scored about 10. hitting around .600. go back to picking on guys that can't or won't (votto) hit. signed paul "goldy" goldschmidt

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:29 am

headhunters wrote:dear dan" Doughboys" - since you called me out i have hit a homer, driven in about 10 and scored about 10. hitting around .600. go back to picking on guys that can't or won't (votto) hit. signed paul "goldy" goldschmidt
Ha! I actually like you this year.
I will pick on anybody, if they need it though.
Sorry Goldy!
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Wayne - Great post. Thanks for breaking down your squad and strategy. As a member of your league, I look forward to following your views throughout the season. It seems like a group of really quality guys. While I came to Vegas last year for an auction league, this was my first year entering the main event. What an awesome experience. My only regret is not personally introducing myself to more participants (Well, and maybe passing on McCutchen at #5 in favor of Gomez.) Hopefully I can make up for that next year.

Bryan - it was nice drafting next to you as I enjoyed the friendly interaction. Thank you. I still feel the sting of missing out on Gose and his 50 SBs, though I'm happy it's you that got him! As a Braves fan, look at the bright side ... You could be a Phillies fan. Honestly, I don't think the Braves will be as poor as many are expecting. Strong pitching and a lineup that can put the ball in play is a good starting point. How about a big year for Andrelton Simmons too! For me, thank god for fantasy baseball to hold my interest throughout the season.

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. How great is it that this is the last Friday for 6 months without a full slate of games?!

Good luck to all,

Dave

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:06 pm

So I loved your start. Can't go wrong with Trout and Marte start as I'm in love with Marte like yourself. Sale could be best pitcher behind Kershaw this year so getting as your ace is nice. I agree with you and think you did well not taking the bait with V-Mart. I think his knee will act up and think it bothers him enough to drain his power and maybe even gap-power.

I saw something on MLB network about Holliday that made a ton of sense. Basically it looked at his stats and the entire league and his % via the league average has stayed the same the last 4 years. So although it looks like he is in a decline, he isn't and just is performing above league average every year. I also think Hosmer puts it together this year as it seemed to click for him at the end of last year.

I was on Fiers until his arm trouble in the spring, then I backed off. Nice little pitcher though. Hope we are both right on Shelby and his new pitch. Love Vogt as a catcher as had him there at the end of last year.

My only complaint to this team is the reserve round picks. Maybe you played it to safe and didn't go for the home run back there? So many ways to construct a team, but I like taking more chances back there than most.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:38 am

Shandler had an article on BaseballHQ about the changing demographic. How the next gen fantasy player doesn't or won't have the patience to go six months in a full-season fantasy challenge, but would rather go with the daily leagues. Maybe so. Foolish. To me the dailies lack two major things. There is no anticipatory lead-up and resolution is too fast. The waiting...the anticipation has, for me, always been sweeter than the event, generally because the event is over too soon.

Your birthday as a kid. Adults don't get the same thrill out of birthdays as kids and weeks before you knew you would get to do pretty much whatever you wanted ("Well, ok, set fire to the cat because it is after all your birthday!") plus presents, friends and family, cake, and ice cream. Then, as soon as the party was over, it was pretty much "Clean your room, church tomorrow..."

Christmas. Not weeks, but for me the Christmas countdown began as soon as school began. Waiting, amending lists, pleading, pretending to be good, sucking up to long lost relations. Hell, you would even be nice to the cat. Then, 30 minutes of frenetic activity before the sun comes up or the smell of coffee could even permeate the room...great gifts to go with the socks, new PJ's, and that thing from your Great Aunt which you have no idea what it even good for. Then "Get dressed, we've got to go see your Grandmother..."

Food. The prep, the smells, the mouth watering anticipation...gobbled in 15 minutes if you are lucky....5 if you have kids. And the first bite (yes, even the first Dorito) always tastes the best. Then gone.

And sex. There was an old song by the Clovers (us east coasters with an affinity for REAL beach music with its bluesy undertones will remember the Clovers as opposed to the cotton candy west coasters who think Jan & Dean or the Beachboys was "beach music") called "60 Minute Man" that had a refrain "There will be 15 minutes of teasing, make you hollar please don't stop, 15 minutes of sqeezin, 15 minutes of pleasing, 15 minutes of blowing my top...pop...pop!" Yeah, right, we wish. On average the whole event lasts somewhere between 5 and 7 minutes (not ME of course) and if you make 15-30, your wife/girlfriend wants to bask in the afterglow and cuddle...all you can think about is how to smoothly get the remote so you can check Sports Center before going to sleep. But the anticipation (again, maybe weeks if you have kids) lasted much longer than the event.

That is exactly why I like season long fantasy baseball and our event especially. Even before the coitus of the prior season is over, we are already preparing for the next, making good wishes for anticipatory meetings for the next March and some have already completed a half dozen next year drafts. Then all winter adding, revising, reading, hot stoving, texting. True, the actual live drafts and auctions are over so too fast, but then we have the next six months to plan, pray, cajole, reprimand, review, bid, adjust, alter, second-guess, third-guess, seek advice, give advice, and sometimes almost cry.

All of that might get you into the upper half of your league.

It is, outside of my religion and family, the thing I think about the most. I like the fact it lasts longer than the average holiday. It is the tenure that makes it great and gives it substance. It is not short and forgettable. A novel, not a comic book.

I like that.

Good luck all. I have to go now to firm up my FA bids so I can do it again this afternoon (and tonight just before the deadline).
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:49 am

Probably the last week there will be a great interest in Braves FA. And no, I did not go all-in on any of them. Maybin went for $76 (my bid was $31 and was not second). I won a small flyer conditional on Ike Davis ($13 with a $5 runner up). First base is about the only place I really do not need a player (Hosmer, Trumbo, Teixeira and Vogt already on the roster). I like Davis this year (recognizing that 450 AB is probably his upside in Oakland and could not hit LHers last year) and since I am planning on Trumbo in the OF and Vogt eventually at C, thought the flyer was worth it since Big Tex lacks any sort of reliability.

Not even close on Grilli who went for $383 in my league. Had a conditional bid on Johnson, but came in second. Oh well...too cheap again.
Charles Krauthammer

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:51 am

I think Johnson will be the guy when all is said and done but since I think they struggle to win 60 games this year save opps might not be plentiful! :-)

knuckleheads

Post by knuckleheads » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:31 am

ALL-IN JD wrote:I think Johnson will be the guy when all is said and done but since I think they struggle to win 60 games this year save opps might not be plentiful! :-)
True, but of those 60 wins, I bet no more than 10 are by more than 3 runs. :lol:

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:11 am

Philly High Hopes wrote:As a member of your league, I look forward to following your views throughout the season. While I came to Vegas last year for an auction league, this was my first year entering the main event. What an awesome experience. My only regret is not personally introducing myself to more participants (Well, and maybe passing on McCutchen at #5 in favor of Gomez.) Hopefully I can make up for that next year.

Dave
Dave, it was nice meeting you and too look forward to a long and competitive season. I am glad you enjoyed the Main. I certainly have all the way back to the beginning coming out to Vegas (though I did draft one year in Chicago and three I think when we tested the waters in Florida).

We will only know in September wether or not the Gomez pick over McCutchen was wise. Gotta love both and I would hate to have to live on the difference. I actually KDS'd 1, 2, then the middle for a chance at McCutchen if I could not get Trout, but had Gomez last year (I had pick #15) and he certainly produced first round number.

Good luck.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:11 am

knuckleheads wrote:
ALL-IN JD wrote:I think Johnson will be the guy when all is said and done but since I think they struggle to win 60 games this year save opps might not be plentiful! :-)
True, but of those 60 wins, I bet no more than 10 are by more than 3 runs. :lol:
That's one. Only nine more to go! ;) :lol:
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:26 am

Week One Results – What a week! As expected, Trout hit 15 homeruns, scored thirty, drove in fifty, and stole 10 bases including home twice. A little off what I expect his average to be, but I will give him a pass given it was just the first week. Trout is, after all devine…

OK, not so much. Trout had a good, but not other-worldly week (0.400, one HR and three each Runs and RBI’s). Actually, if my team had a “hero” batting this week, it was Pedro Alvarez. He generated a decent 20 AB with two home runs and four each RBI’s and Runs to go with a 0.300 BA. Overall for batting, a little off what I budgeted as a team with 0.263 BA, 36 RBI’s and Runs, 8 homeruns and four SB on 304 AB. I have some decent speed guys on my team (Bourn, Marte, Trout, Dozier and even Aoki). Only Bourn actually stole a base last week. The other three went to Russell Martin (who now has as many SB as he does hits), Holliday, and that speedster Eric Hosmer.

My bench was actually a little more interesting. I picked up Ike Davis last week on a flier. He hit 0.316 with four each RBI and Runs scored without the benefit of a homerun. Because of those numbers, he earned another week on the team. If/when Teixeira falters (two HR last week with four Runs and three RBI’s, though disturbingly lost AB to A-Rod), Davis might be a sneaky little “value” pick.

Stephen Vogt is four games from getting catcher eligibility, meaning it should happen this week sometime. He had two good games last week leading to a line for the week of 19 AB, one HR, three Runs and five RBI’s on a 0.368 BA. Clearly one of my best players last week and making me question whether or not to use him at UT (same question I had last week but instead I went with Aoki, who didn’t exactly suck with a 0.400 BA on 30 AB, four Runs and an RBI). I went Aoki in the off chance at an SB or two.

I also have Chris Johnson as my back-up third baseman. I cannot gripe (too much) about the Braves 5-1 start to the season and Division play, but that “soft” platoon with Callaspo sucks. Johnson got 10AB and Callaspo 13, making neither worth owning. A few years ago the Braves platooned Johnson with Francisco, and Johnson stepped up while Juan was gone via trade. Could the Braves be trying the same approach to get more out of Johnson or pump up the other sides trade value? If I find a better option at the thin position, I will make a move. Until then, it is an ugly double date.

Pitching overall was good. I had a 2.799 ERA with a 1.116 WHIP and 54 K’s. The other, basically uncontrollable counting stats, I got my targeted four wins (on nine starts) but only one save (3.0 IP combined out of Perkins and Reed with five K’s). Given how I think the Twinkies and the Snakes will not be so good this year, I clearly will need to use a third closer at some point this year if am to have a real chance at 80+ Saves. I am not planning however to spend $400 FA dollars on an iffy rental. I will troll for an opportunity (i.e. buy a lottery ticket) to pick up a reasonable gamble for the next guy in line.

The two Brewers pitchers I started (Fiers and Garza) pitched not so good (no wins, nine earned runs in two starts though with 10 K’s in 10.0 combined IP) while the one on my bench was lights out (Jimmy Nelson). I guess I am crazy as hell, but I like all three. Gonna be tough streaming them all year.

Hamels pitched well for the week, but no wins. Big surprise. Please, please, please trade him, Philly! Teheran was lights out until Duda nearly took his balls off on a grounder up the middle. Teheran “felt” a tweak in his knee and lost all concentration in his last inning of his last start. Ended up giving up only one unearned run (could have gotten out of the inning if Callaspo had been able to handle a pretty routine grounder). Says his knee is fine, so the sacrifice of the fatted calf may have worked (ok, so I grilled a steak and ate it, but the thought was there). Odorizzi and Sale where phenomenal. Shelby Miller pitched great too, but need 97 pitches to get through five.

Week Two FAAB – I decided not to go all in on Familia. I was guessing it would take about $400 to get him (he went for $385). He really has a chance to keep the job as I have no faith in Parnell being able to come back from the injury, but I still think there are better gambles out there that won’t gut my FA budget. Castro was the other big name out there for my league and he went for $347. His hold on the role may be more tenuous. I bid on both, but did not crack $150 on either. Didn’t win either either.

No, no. I am MUCH smarter than that. I had a list of set-up guys behind those two as conditionals. My #3 was Chris Hatcher whom I won for $31. People are dropping Hatcher left and right and given how hittable he is, I do not wonder why. Another rental, I will watch him this week to see if he improves while monitoring Jansen’s progress. If Hatcher continues to falter or Peralta pitches better than I expect, I will take my flyer elsewhere.

Week Two Plans – My roster is pretty set this week. I have Toronto’s catchers locked up (Martin and Navarro), Hosmer-Alvarez- Teixeira at the corners, Dozer-Asdrubal-Panik in the middle, and a lessor god-Marte-Holliday-Trumbo-Bourn in the outfield. Aoki or Vogt could be my UT. Depends on if I want the odd chance at a HR or the odd chance at a SB.

Pitching includes closers Reed and Perkins, and starters Garza, Miller, and Odorizzi (two starts each), my anchors Sale, Hamels, and Teheran one each. That leaves Fiers, Nelson, and Norris for the other spot. Yes, I still have Norris on my team. He had a couple of clunkers last year, but not as bad as the floater in the punch bowl he laid last week. I still think he can be valuable.

So that leaves Fiers (@STL) or Nelson (@PIT). Coin toss. Hopfully I will do better than the average drunk money with darts....
Attachments
monkeys_beers.jpg
I am the one hogging the beers on the end!
monkeys_beers.jpg (25.32 KiB) Viewed 10114 times
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:16 am

Oops. Forgot...

Adrian Gonzalez 5
Babe Votto 3

Host of Z 3 (Martinez, Rameriz, Perez)

Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:56 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
NorCalAtlFan wrote:Braves suck! :(

Nice meeting you too. And yes...yes they do with loud, slurping noises...BUT...their pitching is not a cakewalk to the other teams and if they swing to contact this year, they could...COULD...make it interesting (though if the Nats don't blow this division away, something is seriously wrong) until they firesale the rest of their vets for some outfield and thirdbase prospects.
Anybody convinced yet?
Charles Krauthammer