Countdown to the NFBC 2015

Glenneration X

Countdown to the NFBC 2015

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:25 am

This will be my 7th year with the NFBC. During my prior six, I've managed to remain for the most part controversy free and under the radar, while watching lightning rods like Gekko or MtM or a few others stir things up on the boards. I didn't realize how much fun it was being only a spectator. :D Not so much this off-season. With the post-season Platinum soap opera, followed by the antics of the spawn of Snake before being banned, 6 years of relative quiet were paid back with 6 months of being unable to shake the drama. :(

However it seems we're all passed that now, as all of us are focused on something much greater coming down the pike. Friends and enemies, competitors and rivals alike, we're all the same in one regard. We all love the NFBC and we're all part of the NFBC family. And in only 30 short days we'll all be taking part in the NFBC Main Event.

Yes that's right, it's only 30 DAYS 'til the NFBC....

It's been a few years since I last did this Countdown, back in 2012. That time I did it for 100 days. As much of a blast as it was, it took me this long to recover from coming up with so many topics and pictures! :D By the time I decided to bring this thread back to life, unfortunately only 30 days remained. So unlike then, some of baseball's most iconic numbers I was able to include during that run up to the Main Event, 61, 56, 47, 44, etc. could not be included. Sadly, 86, 69, and 41 would have to be left out as well.

So I decided to try something different this year. 30 days remain, 30 MLB teams. Each one would be represented one time with one player for one number. No team gets left out. No team gets represented twice. No Yankees dominating the single digit numbers (and yes Juprinka, the Mets won't have more than one number either). It won't always allow the best player for each number to be shown, but it'll be fun for me figuring out which team and player to use when.

So my friends....

If you're having one of those days where it seems you're striking out at every turn....

Or just cannot get a hit....

Just remember in just 30 DAYS, you get to be a part of something truly great.
Sorry Juprinka, I couldn't help myself.

No more Angels Guys. Sorry.

ALL-IN JD

Re: Countdown to the NFBC 2015

Post by ALL-IN JD » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:28 am

In actuality it's only 28 days as drafts will be starting in exactly four weeks from today in Vegas baby!!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:43 am

ALL-IN JD wrote:In actuality it's only 28 days as drafts will be starting in exactly four weeks from today in Vegas baby!!
I've always counted to the Main Event my friend. It's the one draft almost all of us share.

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:44 am

True but being a self serving narcissist like yourself I just figured..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:15 am

Way to go, Glenn!
I think a lot of us were hoping that you'd get this started again.
No offense to Russ who did a fine job.
It's just like with most songs, we are almost always more comfortable with the original.

The two numbers I'll look forward to are 24 (Mays pictures brings back my childhood) and 1, because we'll already be in Las Vegas and ready to draft in the Main!
Again, way to go, Glenn!
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:32 am

Nicely done Glenn! Gonna be some tough calls for 29 (Smoltz), 21 (Spahn), 10 (Jones) and 3 (Murphy)! It is gonna be tough for you to hold yourself to only one Brave. 8-)

Too bad we missed 44 like you said, but also 31 (Maddux), 35 (Niekro), 41 (Mathews), and 47 (Glavine). Thems the breaks!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:43 am

ALL-IN JD wrote:True but being a self serving narcissist like yourself I just figured..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey!!! I take offense to that! :x

Put 'em up!!!

Oh wait, part of today's theme is getting past all the fighting and focusing on what brings us all together.
(Plus you're a lot bigger than me. :? )

Let's hug it out instead. :D
OK, what's wrong with one more pic of these Angels. :mrgreen:

And thanks Dough & Wayne. It'll be fun figuring this out as we go along. I've already made a couple decisions thinking it through briefly. I think I'll try to choose players that I can add some comments and personal thoughts about from my baseball loving lifetime. Looking forward to the ride to #1.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:52 am

Stop toying with me Lowry :x I think you just used up your Mets lifeline with that one. I'll be keeping track of the Mets "extras" you throw in there, that will = the number of drinks you'll owe me in Vegas !

Now I'm confused with your new countdown guidelines... can you use this guy for Arizona? Or do you have to use a closer ? :lol:
Attachments
L169_CIFR85ef27df4853f6395ae6c3db0ec83245.jpg
L169_CIFR85ef27df4853f6395ae6c3db0ec83245.jpg (175.61 KiB) Viewed 6811 times

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:54 am

Quahogs wrote:Stop toying with me Lowry :x I think you just used up your Mets lifeline with that one. I'll be keeping track of the Mets "extras" you throw in there, that will = the number of drinks you'll owe me in Vegas !

Now I'm confused with your new countdown guidelines... can you use this guy for Arizona? Or do you have to use a closer ? :lol:
Now, now Stephen!! :D :D

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:04 am

Quahogs wrote:Stop toying with me Lowry :x I think you just used up your Mets lifeline with that one. I'll be keeping track of the Mets "extras" you throw in there, that will = the number of drinks you'll owe me in Vegas !

Too funny Mr. Juprinka. :D

Luckily we're well past 55 days 'til the NFBC. Maybe we'll revisit that player next year. :?

PS.... Just for that, you lose one of the 30 drinks I'll likely owe you by the time this Countdown is done. :mrgreen:

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 am

You're the BEST Lowry - always a great sport to bust on ! Always so much material too !

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:23 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Way to go, Glenn!
I think a lot of us were hoping that you'd get this started again.
No offense to Russ who did a fine job.
It's just like with most songs, we are almost always more comfortable with the original.
I completely agree :D

And I have a unique appreciation for the work Glenn puts into his Countdown. Between family, work, and regular BS, I couldn't keep up with the list. Glenn knocks this list out Every Day :!:

So as you say Dan, the original is always the best and I'm glad it, and Glenn, are back.

P.S. I may sneak a couple of pictures in too, especially on Cubs day ;)
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:27 am

Love these Lowy. Of course, I'll have to wait awhile for my team to come up. As all my great players are in single digits (Killer Bees). And no, I do not mean Carlos "Money Grabbing" Beltran going from my Stros to your sorry Muts!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:40 am

Not only well done, but a plan for the photos as well. Very original and I like it a lot. Let's hope Day 19 is reserved for the greatest Brewer of all-time.

The rumor on the street is that Lowy always has a plan. That can get him in trouble sometimes!! ;)

The Countdown to the Main Event is the correct call. We know what day and time that is in all three cities. Great job and I'll look forward to this thread each day.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

jdryan

Post by jdryan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:43 am

Glenn, instead of the Nolan Ryan beating of Ventura the kids hitting each other with the bats you posted last year would
of been my pick.. :lol: see you in NY
jody ryan

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:30 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:The rumor on the street is that Lowy always has a plan. That can get him in trouble sometimes!! ;)
Ha Greg. :D Well, ya know what they say about the best laid plans.
After all, each year I plan on winning the NFBC, and we see how that's worked out. :(

Dustin, don't blink. You may not have as long a wait as you might think. ;)

And Jody.... you ask and you shall receive. After all, what's one more hit this offseason....

Juprinka showing Dustin his "displeasure" the first time he blogs about Quahogs trade secrets. :shock:

Lastly, to my Bud Russ.... I can only hope to walk in the huge footsteps you left from last year.
Great, great job keeping the tradition alive.

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Cmon X!! Stop recycling last year's pictures!!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:00 pm

jdryan wrote:Glenn, instead of the Nolan Ryan beating of Ventura the kids hitting each other with the bats you posted last year would
of been my pick.. :lol: see you in NY
Here's Jody with the pitch, and Lowy swings ...

Meanwhile, Massotto will be back for another swing this year ...

And over in the Diamond league, Particelli is due for a brushback pitch ...

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:08 pm

And how about Jupinka working with a new partner in the Platinum ...

jdryan

Post by jdryan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:20 pm

Funny stuff.... This winter has been long here in Mass..I need Fantasy baseball so bad... 13 NFBC will help with that problem... :roll: Sunday will be a bitch!
jody ryan

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:28 pm

KJ Duke wrote:And how about Jupinka working with a new partner in the Platinum ...

Good stuff KJ. Love Juprinka wearing the batting helmet in the field. Reminds me of some of the stylish headwear I've seen him don at the drafts.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:34 pm

Glenneration X wrote: Good stuff KJ. Love Juprinka wearing the batting helmet in the field. Reminds me of some of the stylish headwear I've seen him don at the drafts.
I thought it really captured "frustrated Juprinka" too. Looking forward to seeing that at the draft. :mrgreen:

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:40 pm

Wait until you see him in the MTM Super with Lisa Ann sitting on his lap!! Can you say CORONARY!! :lol: :lol:

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:43 pm

ALL-IN JD wrote:Wait until you see him in the MTM Super with Lisa Ann sitting on his lap!! Can you say CORONARY!! :lol: :lol:
Someone will need to upload a pic of that. :P

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:45 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
ALL-IN JD wrote:Wait until you see him in the MTM Super with Lisa Ann sitting on his lap!! Can you say CORONARY!! :lol: :lol:
Someone will need to upload a pic of that. :P
I am working on the photographer now as a matter of fact. 8-)
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry