The (formerly) worst drafter in the NFBC

KJ Duke

The (formerly) worst drafter in the NFBC

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Look for his name(s) on the signup list or the owner list and avoid at all cost in slow drafts.

He isn't just slow, he intentionally burns clock to piss people off. He is ruining a draft that just started, and several people have told me this has been his MO for the past two years. Today, he burned 7 hours and 55 minutes of prime time, picking with 5 minutes to go ... it is round 3. He has been online all day. At that pace the draft would take 250 days to complete. The 8-hour rule is a fail-safe, not a right, as drafts cannot be completed at that pace.

Don't draft with him unless you want to move at a snail's pace. He also will not respond in chat.

FRANKIE
NEWTON
AVOID

Unless, of course, you want a draft that goes at the pace of less than 1 round per day and takes 2-6 months to complete, then by all means join him.
Last edited by KJ Duke on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.

mdecav

Re: The single worst drafter in the NFBC

Post by mdecav » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:11 pm

I'm dying to see what is written in the chat room. What an arse.

Vander

Post by Vander » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:29 pm

I wonder what Greg and Co can do about banning guys like that. Last year I was in a draft with some similar drafters. Lots of complaints of fellow drafters that got pretty nasty. Really not sure why someone would join a draft just to piss people off by taking 8 hours every pick. The vast majority would be much happier without these guys. I'm positive after last years experience some won't draft here again. Why lose good drafters here to have fun and keep the purposeful troublemakers.

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:41 am

KJ Duke wrote:Frankie Newton of Lincolnton North Carolina. He also seems to go by "Sir Gladiator" :roll: ; his email is [email protected]. Look for his name(s) on the signup list or the owner list and avoid at all cost in slow drafts.

He isn't just slow, he intentionally burns clock to piss people off. He is ruining a draft that just started, and several people have told me this has been his MO for the past two years. Today, he burned 7 hours and 55 minutes of prime time, picking with 5 minutes to go ... it is round 3. He has been online all day. At that pace the draft would take 250 days to complete. The 8-hour rule is a fail-safe, not a right, as drafts cannot be completed at that pace.

Don't draft with him unless you want to move at a snail's pace. He also will not respond in chat.

FRANKIE
NEWTON
AVOID

Unless, of course, you want a draft that goes at the pace of less than 1 round per day and takes 2-6 months to complete, then by all means join him.
LOL. "The 8-hour rule is a fail-safe, not a right." Bingo. Perfectly stated. It's about time these intentionally-delay-the-draft types get publicly called out. Awesone Post.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

davetniagarafalls

Post by davetniagarafalls » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:10 pm

If Frankie is, as I believe he is, a chess player, then this is all pretty simple. He absolutely maximizes his likelihood of winning by taking 7 hours and 55 minutes each and every time that he picks. In that time, a closer is named, an international prospect is posted, a trade is made, a FA is signed, etc. And he will continue to do so until he is sanctioned by the administrators. And you are correct that if EVERYONE did that no one would play in these drafts. What's fun about NFBC is the community of rather skilled players who also respect each other and the game.
"Dont sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff."

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:35 pm

davetniagarafalls wrote:If Frankie is, as I believe he is, a chess player, then this is all pretty simple. He absolutely maximizes his likelihood of winning by taking 7 hours and 55 minutes each and every time that he picks. In that time, a closer is named, an international prospect is posted, a trade is made, a FA is signed, etc. And he will continue to do so until he is sanctioned by the administrators. And you are correct that if EVERYONE did that no one would play in these drafts. What's fun about NFBC is the community of rather skilled players who also respect each other and the game.
That is the childish and short-sighted view of it. Are all chess players pricks, Dave? It is the equal of being a really bad negotiator by squeezing the last ounce of blood from someone and pissing them off when you could have made a minor concession and had them go away happy and ready to do business again down the road. Reality is, the odds of gaining an advantage are miniscule relative to the many variables it takes to win this game. Secondly, if you keep pissing people off at some point no one will join you in a game.

For an update - he has been picking faster of late. I hope it continues as certain others in the past have started out as bad drafters and adjusted over time and become good drafters. We'll see. I'll post an update upon completion since I know certain people have been avoiding him, thus making it take longer to fill drafts that he has joined. Hopefully a corner has been turned.

davetniagarafalls

Post by davetniagarafalls » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Great to hear! I am in three drafts right now and am finding myself having trouble keeping up. So I am waiting until those near a close before I sign up for another round. Good luck in these offseason drafts! And no, chess players are not all pricks - ha ha. Have a wonderful Christmas!
"Dont sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff."

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:16 pm

:geek:

Just a cotton-pickin minute!

I thought I held this title. :cry:

Actually, this drafter is in the DC 10 league with us which started Dec 11 and we have NOT seen this behavior. We are in rd 45 today.

Maybe he does this only when the other guys drafting are being jerks?!?

Who knows?
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Deadheadz wrote::geek:

Just a cotton-pickin minute!

I thought I held this title. :cry:
Not to worry DHZ, my thread title was a little mis-leading. You are the TRUE single worst drafter in the NFBC. :mrgreen:

Get ready for the Jose Iglesias bandwagon ...

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Deadheadz wrote: Maybe he does this only when the other guys drafting are being jerks?!?
He has actually been picking very fast now over the last few days ... 8-)

But, c'mon now ... how many NFBC leagues don't have at least one jerk in them ??? :twisted: If that's your criteria to "slow pick" the entire draft championship would come to a grinding halt !

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:58 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Deadheadz wrote: Maybe he does this only when the other guys drafting are being jerks?!?
He has actually been picking very fast now over the last few days ... 8-)

But, c'mon now ... how many NFBC leagues don't have at least one jerk in them ??? :twisted: If that's your criteria to "slow pick" the entire draft championship would come to a grinding halt !
Not saying everyone reacts to it the way this guy seems to be, just saying that he may have his reasons for doing it in the leagues you are referring to.

If you can't tell who the jerk is in your league...it must be you. ;)

:mrgreen:
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

uky

Re: The (formerly) single worst drafter in the NFBC?

Post by uky » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:01 am

What's worse, extremely slow or intentionally slow drafters, or the jerks defending them... :shock:
Bill Cleavenger
Big Blue Nation..We don't rebuild, we reload

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:42 am

And we're back to slow down mode this morning. He's been on the clock all morning, it's now afternoon in his time zone and no pick.

He refuses to EVER post anything in chat so we don't know if he is travelling, sleeping in, or just sitting there in his gladiator pajamas laughing a nerd laugh while we all wait for him.

EDIT - picked with 4 minutes remaining on the clock ... intentional delay #2.
Last edited by KJ Duke on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:39 pm

:mrgreen:

It's funny how just a year ago my own complaints of slow drafters were met with derision and I was asked to be more understanding.

And when I suggested publishing "avg time on the clock" for NFBC mangers I was scolded for threatening to "out" people by putting a name together with the stat. The OP of this thread certainly doesn't mind naming names.

Didn't Doughy start a thread last year called The List? It sounds like the impatient drafters should be consulting The List before agreeing to join any slow draft league.

There may be other things we can do...
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:38 pm

Deadheadz wrote::mrgreen:

It's funny how just a year ago my own complaints of slow drafters were met with derision and I was asked to be more understanding.

And when I suggested publishing "avg time on the clock" for NFBC mangers I was scolded for threatening to "out" people by putting a name together with the stat. The OP of this thread certainly doesn't mind naming names.

Didn't Doughy start a thread last year called The List? It sounds like the impatient drafters should be consulting The List before agreeing to join any slow draft league.

There may be other things we can do...
There's a difference between someone who often takes 1-2 hours versus one who takes 7+ hours especially during midday.

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:06 pm

This is why I will never compete in a slow draft ever again.
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:10 pm

its random luck sometimes though...I am in one now that started Christmas Eve at 1 pm....and its in the 17th round right now.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Hell KJ at least you can draft. All I can do is read the Boards.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:37 am

76erfan wrote:its random luck sometimes though...I am in one now that started Christmas Eve at 1 pm....and its in the 17th round right now.
Luck is the residue of design, my friend, and it has nothing to do with it in this league. :mrgreen:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:39 am

Lunatic wrote:This is why I will never compete in a slow draft ever again.

I thought the reason you aren't competing in a slow draft ever again is because you suck shit at them, Luny. :P Huh, who knew?
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:35 am

Yea Mikey. ....you being the enforcer of this draft surely speeds things up! By the way....ITS YOUR P ICK

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:08 am

I talked with the owner in question yesterday and he said he would post in the league Chat his schedule more often. He does pick quickly at times, but he admitted that last week some things kept him away from a computer for hours. Going forward he will be more vigilant about letting his league mates know that. I think he is more aware of the situation now.

Good luck all and it's great to see so many leagues continuing to go quickly even over the holidays.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:I talked with the owner in question yesterday and he said he would post in the league Chat his schedule more often. He does pick quickly at times, but he admitted that last week some things kept him away from a computer for hours. Going forward he will be more vigilant about letting his league mates know that. I think he is more aware of the situation now.

Good luck all and it's great to see so many leagues continuing to go quickly even over the holidays.
Thanks Greg! It's good to hear Frankie is getting on board with communicating. More and more people are figuring out each season how to keep things moving and it's making most of these drafts sail right along and more enjoyable. 8-)

Deadheadz

Re: The (formerly) worst drafter in the NFBC

Post by Deadheadz » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:46 pm

Earlier this evening I saw a post from a drafter from DC10 who people sometimes said was slow...he said he had done the entire league drafting by smartphone and never even saw the comments in the league chat until he reviewed it post mortem.

Seems like maybe complaining in chat can be fruitless for getting the message to some managers. Sounds like a friendly email is a good way to start, assuming they get and read them.

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

EWeaver

Re: The (formerly) worst drafter in the NFBC

Post by EWeaver » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:39 am

drafted with sir gladiator last year, it sucks, he should be banned. period.

it's intentional - though i'm not certain as to the motive. I doubt very much it's strategy.

not sure why he's allowed to still play, he spends what? maybe $600 a year?