Is a $100,000 auction championship possible?

BK METS

Is a $100,000 auction championship possible?

Post by BK METS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Ok, before I go any further, I am NOT talking about this year. Obviously, there is a lot of buzz about auctions, with the affordable auctions allowing many who have never done an auction, experience it for the first time.

My thoughts are, if the NFBC can come up with an auction draft room, the ability to do main event auctions online will open up the opportunity for even more participants. Even if we are just counting the live events, the auction signups have been almost as popular as the Primetime event, so far this year. The auctions are always the first events to sell out in New York. There are more and more live auctions in Las Vegas, as well.

New software or not, my opinion is, the auction is the most exciting main event to participate in, and with it becoming more and more popular, every year, is it out of the question that we can soon see a $100,000 Auction Championship?

Thoughts?

Glenneration X

Re: Is a $100,000 auction championship possible?

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:28 pm

I'd prefer a $100K Auction Championship to the Primetime being a $100K contest (though I obviously wouldn't mind both).

Also, what's wrong with this year? :mrgreen:

Bama

Post by Bama » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:58 pm

I don't think the powers that be really think the auctions are worthwhile as a money maker for them.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:59 pm

If I had a choice of a $1500-1600 online auction or online snake draft, I would spend my money on the auction.

Screw software STATS, run it on Skype.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Catch

Post by Catch » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:06 pm

I'd prefer a $100K Auction Championship to the Primetime being a $100K contest
Maybe you can please both types of players by offering 12 team auctions. It creates more leagues and possibly generate the interest for $100k grand prize.

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:19 pm

I've been asking about auction software since I first started playing here. The last I heard, there are no plans for this.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:05 pm

Bama wrote:I don't think the powers that be really think the auctions are worthwhile as a money maker for them.
:o Yeah, we're against anything that makes money!!!! :shock:

It's easy to do the math and answer your own question here. We would need another 18-19 leagues plus a raise in entry fees to approach a grand prize like you are suggesting. We aren't afraid of creating large guarantees on the prizes, but I think this one will be tough guys!!

That being said, we are the only contest to have a national auction championship and we've now grown it to a $20,000 grand prize. The goal is to sell it out each year and to grow it each year, but we still have work to do this year on reaching our goal.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm

TParsons wrote:I've been asking about auction software since I first started playing here. The last I heard, there are no plans for this.
What gets top priority right now, redoing our FAAB software or building an auction online room? Hell, we'd love to do it all, but we have to prioritize right now and knock out some of these more important tools, including the Draft Prep that some are hounding for. It's not that we are ignoring an online auction room, it's just that it's not Priority 1 right now nor can it be with all we still have to do.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Bama wrote:I don't think the powers that be really think the auctions are worthwhile as a money maker for them.
That would be incorrect. Like Greg said, we're not going to thumb our noses up at something that has lucrative potential. However, there has to be a realistic approach to this. In order to have a $100,000 grand prize you need a few hundred people to participate. Otherwise, you're going to take a financial bath and that's not a very intelligent approach. Right now, Vegas hasn't filled up its first weekend auctions and New York may not fill up its fourth league. That's for a $1,200 entry fee which is lower than what would be needed to generate a $100,000 grand prize. Thus far, the demand isn't exceeding our expectations for the Auction Championship this year.

I think the market place tells you what will work on a mass scale. When we created the Online Championship, for example, we had a lot of people tell us that wouldn't work. That's gone on to be a huge growth area in baseball, football and basketball. It was such a success our competitors in football took the idea and grew it for themselves in significant ways as well. The Draft Champions format is another example of providing customers with something they really like and are flocking to in droves as was the Cutline contest we introduced last year in the NFFC. Those contests have all become clear growth areas and as a result our grand prizes for each have risen. The fact of the matter is that auctions, while popular, are not showing that type of growth. If they were, the grand prize in the Auction Championship would be raised because we'd be hosting more leagues.

We'd love to offer a $100,000 grand prize in the Auction Championship or any contest. But in order to do that, we need to see an indication the interest is going to be there and people are going to spend $1,500 or so to participate in the hundreds. If we sold out 15-20 auction leagues this year, we could certainly have a discussion about whether this contest can support a six-figure grand prize in the future. You want us to have that discussion? Let's fill up those 14 open spots in Vegas on March 21 and the 12 available in New York that same day. Let's go beyond the number of leagues that we have projected in order to reach the current grand prize. That's where the discussion will begin. :)
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Why not do for the Auctions next year what you did for the Primetime and Joe Berg this year? :mrgreen:
Throw the prize and the price point out there and see what happens.

PS...Greg, NOTHING, not an auction championships, not the Cutline championships, not the draft room, not the prep tool, not the account management software, not improving live scoring, NOTHING is as important as getting FAAB up to speed by the start of the season. At least that's this man's viewpoint.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Greg/Tom, this thread wasn't brought up as a negative to what the NFBC is already doing and plans on doing with other needs with the software and other contests. It was only brought up as inspiration to what appears to be more interest in the auction than ever before. Last year (and the year before) we had 135 total, all live, signups. This year, we have 121 all live signups (not including the Ultimate auction or the AL or NL only auctions).

I do realize that auction participants usually commit early, but still, this is ahead of last year, where we didn't get to 120 participants until around March 2nd. Granted, you would need to raise the entrance fee to $1,500 or so, but I would believe the higher grand prize might attract more signups.

I am sure that Primetime signups will likely pickup, as we get closer to cutoff, with just the ROI factor.

I thought this thread would begin talks for next year or the year after, to piggyback a few very successful lower priced online auctions where many have said they now want to sign up for main event auctions. Whether that actually occurs, who knows... but I was only trying to be positive towards growth in the auction in future years. I didn't realize it would spur negative issues elsewhere... who knew?

Asumijet

Post by Asumijet » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:48 pm

I think there a couple of factors that would help Auction Championship going forward. First and foremost, the mass of players have to feel comfortable in the auction format. My first year in the NFBC, the Auction cost was $650 and Greg offered a few $250 online leagues, much like Todd and Dan did this year. I did both and after my first two auctions ever, I was hooked. I won't do a NFBC Vegas weekend without doing an auction, with or without an overall prize. However, had the cost of entry to try it out been $1200 or $1500, I am not sure I would have thrown my money out there for sharks to devour. We have to get more players into the format, and inexpensive online auctions will go a long way to attract new players into the format. These options are offered outside the NFBC, but where is the fun in that?
Second, absent a reliable online auction system, there cannot be a huge overall championship. Without the online entries for the Main Event and Primetime, the events at this point would have difficult time sustaining their current success. This is surprising given that online and multiple entries were not options for the Main Event a few years ago. Without the online option, a six figure auction championship does not appear to be a financial possibility. All that said, I am hopeful that a few years down the road, an even bigger auction championship will be a reality. For now, I will enjoy the best auction championship experience in the industry and enjoy the 5 hours in Vegas with some great people!
Neal Moses

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
That would be incorrect. Like Greg said, we're not going to thumb our noses up at something that has lucrative potential. However, there has to be a realistic approach to this. In order to have a $100,000 grand prize you need a few hundred people to participate. Otherwise, you're going to take a financial bath and that's not a very intelligent approach. Right now, Vegas hasn't filled up its first weekend auctions and New York may not fill up its fourth league. That's for a $1,200 entry fee which is lower than what would be needed to generate a $100,000 grand prize. Thus far, the demand isn't exceeding our expectations for the Auction Championship this year.

I think the market place tells you what will work on a mass scale. When we created the Online Championship, for example, we had a lot of people tell us that wouldn't work. That's gone on to be a huge growth area in baseball, football and basketball. It was such a success our competitors in football took the idea and grew it for themselves in significant ways as well. The Draft Champions format is another example of providing customers with something they really like and are flocking to in droves as was the Cutline contest we introduced last year in the NFFC. Those contests have all become clear growth areas and as a result our grand prizes for each have risen. The fact of the matter is that auctions, while popular, are not showing that type of growth. If they were, the grand prize in the Auction Championship would be raised because we'd be hosting more leagues.

We'd love to offer a $100,000 grand prize in the Auction Championship or any contest. But in order to do that, we need to see an indication the interest is going to be there and people are going to spend $1,500 or so to participate in the hundreds. If we sold out 15-20 auction leagues this year, we could certainly have a discussion about whether this contest can support a six-figure grand prize in the future. You want us to have that discussion? Let's fill up those 14 open spots in Vegas on March 21 and the 12 available in New York that same day. Let's go beyond the number of leagues that we have projected in order to reach the current grand prize. That's where the discussion will begin. :)

The bath is coming this season o the Primetime??????(time will tell soon). The reason the O.C and the Draft Championship are growing like they are is the PRICE POINT to entry, and they both can be done online. No travel expenses or Hotel or airfare. Can be done over many dates. If you take out the multiple entries you are getting less player each year in the big events. Raising entry fee and trying to raise overall prize to make a the event seem bigger is Not bring in more than a few players, not making up for the one not returning. Be interesting if we sell out the main this year??????

The Auctions in NYC are filled by the same 20-25 player every year, never going to grow to $50,000 overall, $100,000 is a lotto ticket.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:25 pm

Roy's Outlaws wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:

The bath is coming this season o the Primetime??????(time will tell soon). The reason the O.C and the Draft Championship are growing like they are is the PRICE POINT to entry, and they both can be done online. No travel expenses or Hotel or airfare. Can be done over many dates. If you take out the multiple entries you are getting less player each year in the big events. Raising entry fee and trying to raise overall prize to make a the event seem bigger is Not bring in more than a few players, not making up for the one not returning. Be interesting if we sell out the main this year??????

The Auctions in NYC are filled by the same 20-25 player every year, never going to grow to $50,000 overall, $100,000 is a lotto ticket.
Thanks for the positive insight. I think the NFBC is doing pretty well, having over 400 spots committed for the Main Event/Primetime, plus another 120+ auction and a bunch of other high dollar filled leagues, all before March!! I would think everything will be fine. Once people start to see the potential ROI in the Primetime, those leagues will fill.

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:45 pm

We'd love to offer a $100,000 grand prize in the Auction Championship or any contest. But in order to do that, we need to see an indication the interest is going to be there and people are going to spend $1,500 or so to participate in the hundreds. If we sold out 15-20 auction leagues this year, we could certainly have a discussion about whether this contest can support a six-figure grand prize in the future. You want us to have that discussion? Let's fill up those 14 open spots in Vegas on March 21 and the 12 available in New York that same day. Let's go beyond the number of leagues that we have projected in order to reach the current grand prize. That's where the discussion will begin. :)[/quote]

The Auctions in NYC are filled by the same 20-25 player every year, never going to grow to $50,000 overall, $100,000 is a lotto ticket.[/quote]
Thanks for the positive insight. I think the NFBC is doing pretty well, having over 400 spots committed for the Main Event/Primetime, plus another 120+ auction and a bunch of other high dollar filled leagues, all before March!! I would think everything will be fine. Once people start to see the potential ROI in the Primetime, those leagues will fill.[/quote]

Alan, The big Question is how many player does the Primetime end with? Last year was 228 , what number is call a success this season? 240,252,264????????? My point is that the raising of the entry fee hurts more than the bigger carrot of the overall prize. Time will tell if I right