Rule Changes- 2014

joshguy

Re: Rule Changes- 2014

Post by joshguy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:43 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Bob Enzyte wrote:With this proposed rule change you will be using 10 pitchers per week. Instead of this, why not increase the starting lineup to 10 pitchers with a six man bench?
This is very different from 10 pitchers and a 6 man bench, Lindy. And it's not just an automatic extra 26 starts. In fact, it could be the substitution of somebody like Rick Porcello who has a double start, one at home vs. Houston, the other on the road vs. Texas.
Or it could be that your team may want to try and eke out an extra save, so we bench a start to put in a would-be Closer.
In both cases, no extra start.

A lot of folks have looked at the obvious and are thinking streaming.
I get that.
But it'll be more than that.
There are also the circumstances of a Closer getting lit up early in the week, in danger of losing his job. I want him out of that lineup before the Manager puts him in a non-closing role and more bad stats are applied.
10 pitchers doesn't allow me to do that.

It's an option for us. It takes off the handcuffs on Friday.
10 Pitchers isn't an option, it is just adding one more pitcher.
An option on Friday is more than just another pitcher.
It is a 10 SP rule. If you used it as just adding an extra SP on Fri, now you get 2 starts when you would have got only 1. If you use it to add a closer on friday, now you have 1 SP and 42% of a closer. So you still get the benefit of that one start plus half of the save chances.

What are the chances of a closer getting taken out of a job? And the chance that you have that closer. Lets say there are 12 closers who lose their job in a year. Probably you have one of them. So one part of a week you will get a little hurt. Well, thats the chance you take when drafting a lower tier closer.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:53 pm

10 Starting Pitchers?
It isn't, and I think you know that.
10 Pitchers does not allow us to sit a pitcher. This option does.
Really, it's as simple as that.
You're trying to make it convoluted with scenarios, but it's really that simple.
We get that you don't like the proposal.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:31 pm

This week alone, these changes could have been made with the new rule....

Gallardo owners could have put him in the lineup
Arrieta owners could have put him in the lineup
Villanueva owners could have pulled him from the lineup
Matt Moore owners could have pulled him from the lineup
Frieri owners could have pulled him from the lineup
JJohnson owners could have pulled him from the lineup
Kazmir owners could have added him
Salazar owners could have pulled him
Estrada owners could have pulled him
Cahill owners could have added him
Spruill owners could have pulled him

It also leads to more thought provoking moves...
I'm guessing that some Hawkins owners would have pulled him before last night's Save.
Or, hypothetically, if David Robertson owners spot that Mariano has thrown three games in a row, Robertson could be worth a shot on a Friday.
It leads to more strategy.
For 50 round drafters, it would be a delight. With a lot of pitchers dl'ed during the season, it would give owners of these teams more ways to utilize a decreasing pool of pitchers.
Alright, I'll shut up.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:07 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:For 50 round drafters, it would be a delight. With a lot of pitchers dl'ed during the season, it would give owners of these teams more ways to utilize a decreasing pool of pitchers.
Alright, I'll shut up.

Excellent point Dan- Even if its just done for the 50 round drafts, it addresses a growing problem with injuries in that format, that will not be going away anytime soon.

Happenstance

Post by Happenstance » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:37 pm

If this change were implemented, I'd expect that most people would use the Friday swap ability to bench a SP not scheduled to start over the weekend with a SP that is. Sure there are exceptions as previously outlined, but I think they would be just that - exceptions.

In fact, I think that this would exacerbate the problems with injuries. Teams with a thin bench due to injuries might not have a SP (or RP) to activate for the Fri-Sun games. And in doing so, they'd fall behind in Wins and Ks the teams that did have that ability.

It's for this same reason - the race for counting stats - that I don't think teams would frequently bench a 2-start pitcher for his second start.

joshguy

Post by joshguy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:11 pm

For the draft champion leagues, I would love to see a move to 55 rounds. Without PEDs a ton of guys are getting hurt. Check out the free agent pages in these leagues, the stats are there. Not a whole lot of quality but enough to warrant 5 more rounds.

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:42 am

I like the idea alot. I love the Friday moves for hitters and feel that pitchers have been neglected. We are all looking at our teams Friday morning anyhow, why not have the option of doing something for the pitching aspect. Adds skill, lessens luck.
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

gpchurchill

Post by gpchurchill » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:12 am

Love your one change on Friday pitching option, Dan. Another strong vote for.

Money

Post by Money » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:18 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:This week alone, these changes could have been made with the new rule....

Gallardo owners could have put him in the lineup
Arrieta owners could have put him in the lineup
Villanueva owners could have pulled him from the lineup
Matt Moore owners could have pulled him from the lineup
Frieri owners could have pulled him from the lineup
JJohnson owners could have pulled him from the lineup
Kazmir owners could have added him
Salazar owners could have pulled him
Estrada owners could have pulled him
Cahill owners could have added him
Spruill owners could have pulled him

It also leads to more thought provoking moves...
I'm guessing that some Hawkins owners would have pulled him before last night's Save.
Or, hypothetically, if David Robertson owners spot that Mariano has thrown three games in a row, Robertson could be worth a shot on a Friday.
It leads to more strategy.
For 50 round drafters, it would be a delight. With a lot of pitchers dl'ed during the season, it would give owners of these teams more ways to utilize a decreasing pool of pitchers.
Alright, I'll shut up.
Dan, your point that this leads to more thought provoking moves is a Great point especially for the Main Event leagues where all decision making is pretty cut and dried. If you really want to generate thought provoking moves, one only needs to join a NFBC XII league. :lol:

I like the new rule Dan :D
Joe

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:51 pm

The Braves apparently announced today that they are skipping Mike Minor's start this week. Under the current rules, all teams with Minor in their starting lineup (including two of mine :x ) are screwed and stuck with a zero-start pitcher. Dan's proposed rule change would at least let those teams salvage something from that lineup slot.

I understand that all teams are affected by this rule, and what screws me now may benefit me next week, but it still hurts when it happens and, for that reason among others, I support Dan's proposed rule change. While I do think mass pitcher streaming should be avoided, opening up a single pitching slot to Friday adjustments - along with all 14 of the hitter slots - seems like a relatively modest proposal to me.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:58 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Bob Enzyte wrote:With this proposed rule change you will be using 10 pitchers per week. Instead of this, why not increase the starting lineup to 10 pitchers with a six man bench?
This is very different from 10 pitchers and a 6 man bench, Lindy. And it's not just an automatic extra 26 starts. In fact, it could be the substitution of somebody like Rick Porcello who has a double start, one at home vs. Houston, the other on the road vs. Texas.
Or it could be that your team may want to try and eke out an extra save, so we bench a start to put in a would-be Closer.
In both cases, no extra start.

A lot of folks have looked at the obvious and are thinking streaming.
I get that.
But it'll be more than that.
There are also the circumstances of a Closer getting lit up early in the week, in danger of losing his job. I want him out of that lineup before the Manager puts him in a non-closing role and more bad stats are applied.
10 pitchers doesn't allow me to do that.

It's an option for us. It takes off the handcuffs on Friday.
10 Pitchers isn't an option, it is just adding one more pitcher.
An option on Friday is more than just another pitcher.
In the above examples, I think we should be able to bench Porcello for his tough second start or bench the poor-performing closer the last half of the week. Teams should be allowed to go with eight-man rotations on either Monday or Friday.

But once one of the nine pitching starting slots is used in any given week, and statistics accrued, no other pitcher should be able to fill it. If you do allow a substitution, even just one move per week, you end up with Streaming-Light.

Streaming-Light is still streaming, just a less of it. Everyone will have to do it, every Friday, if you want to be the most competitive you can be. It will change somewhat the way rosters will be built.

My preference is no streaming, not even Streaming-Light.

I'd be in favor of allowing optional eight-man rotations instead of Streaming Light to allow teams to bench pitchers.

But I do much prefer Streaming-Light over full blown streaming. Doughboy's idea might be a good compromise. If you recognize the proposed rule change for what it is, allowing teams to stream in a limited fashion as well as substitute for bad pitching matchups and pitchers going on the DL....it is way better than the old DL rule allowing pitcher substitutions. I don't think there would be unintended consequences as in bizzare roster manipulations to take advantage of loopholes in the rules. It is a simple, straightforward rule-change suggestion that has merit.
- Robert

Post by 751542 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:53 pm

an awesome suggestion!!! a great compromise doughy, sign me up!!!! :D
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"