2013 Award predictions thread

BK METS

2013 Award predictions thread

Post by BK METS » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 am

Its that time of year again, when I do my list and most of you hate me for it :D .. but hey, feel free to criticize and come up with your own thoughts on the upcoming season...

2013 Awards

NL MVP - This one is going to be a little controversial, since many believe he is being drafted too high and expect a let down this year, but I believe this year will be a "Mike Trout" type of season, from the National League's version, on the team that will win it all this coming season, the Washington Nationals:
Bryce Harper

AL MVP - This one is easy... the best player in baseball makes it 2 in a row.
Miguel Cabrera

NL Cy Young - I could be a homer and give it to the best young pitcher in the National League (Matt Harvey), but I am going to be realistic and say that 70 wins does not allow your team to have the Cy Young award winner, 2 years in a row, so giving it to the best pitcher in the National League who will be allowed to pitch 200+ innings, it is a no-brainer
Stephen Strasburg

AL Cy Young - This is just a hunch... It would be easy to say that Verlander can do it again and he probably will put up enormous numbers, this guy, pitching on the eventual AL champs, will follow up last year's great season:
Jered Weaver

NL Rookie of the year - I have been in 10 drafts this year and have yet to snag either Adam Eaton or Oscar Taveras early enough. They both have rediculous talent and have a chance to put up huge rookie numbers: But I am going with the guy that is capable of hitting 30 HR's and possibly starting at second base
Jedd Gyorko

AL Rookie of the year - CORRECTION - Billy Hamilton, will not be traded and is in the NL...This one is more of a toss up. I don't like the rookie talent (as far as stats for this season), like that of the National League, although if I knew they were going to start all season, I would give it to Dylan Bundy or Jurickson Profar. Revised - So, even more of a toss up, I like Trevor Bauer to have a breakout season with the Indians. :oops:

NL Manager of the year - This guy will lead his team to 100+ wins and a World Championship:
Davey Johnson

AL Manager of the year - Sorry Yankee fans, but making the playoffs is going to be tough this year.. the Jays are much improved, the Rays will be in it, but the Orioles have a lot of talent and the best manager in baseball:
Buck Showalter

Fantasy MVPS - Obviously, I believe Miguel Cabera is tops on the list, again. The guy never gets injured. In addition, I think a 23-3 season is not out of the question for Stephen Strasburg.

Busts of the year -(Aside from Kate Upton) I see 2 guys looking at disappointing seasons : Carlos Gonzalez on an absolutely horrible Colorado Rockies team and YES, I am saying it, and obviously I don't want it to happen, but it always seems to happen to the Mets, David Wright.
Last edited by BK METS on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

edelman24

Re: 2013 Award predictions thread

Post by edelman24 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:31 am

When did the Reds move to the AL? :D

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:32 am

edelman24 wrote:When did the Reds move to the AL? :D
Crap - I guess I messed that one up :lol:

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:40 am

NL:

MVP- David Wright
CY Young - Johan Santana
ROY - Matt Harvey
MOY - Terry Collins

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:58 am

BK METS wrote:
Miguel Cabrera
You can't be the best player in baseball when (speaking of #20) Mike Schmidt's 65 yr old ass can play a better 3B than you. Now if you want to say best hitter that's a different story.

The REAL best player in baseball patrols CF for the Angels, has a name that is reminiscent of a fish and rhymes w/ shout, and some jackasses think has been eating DOUGHnuts all winter and admiring his accomplishments from last yr.

I'm gonna go ahead and take his word that he's been working out....hard, or in the parlance of our times, BEASTMODE :twisted:

TROUT.jpg
2013 AL MVP (shoulda been 2012 too)
TROUT.jpg (34.85 KiB) Viewed 5973 times
Always be closing.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:07 pm

If Trout was THAT good, he'd win 'rookie of the year' again :D

Seriously, I saw him for the first time yesterday since the report.
I could not tell where the extra weight went to on his body. His legs look as thin as last year. Maybe it's muscle in his trunk and upper body, but whoever said he looked rotund is just plain wrong.
He looks great.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:49 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:If Trout was THAT good, he'd win 'rookie of the year' again :D

Seriously, I saw him for the first time yesterday since the report.
I could not tell where the extra weight went to on his body. His legs look as thin as last year. Maybe it's muscle in his trunk and upper body, but whoever said he looked rotund is just plain wrong.
He looks great.
From ESPN yesterday - http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/stor ... oscia-says

wouldya just look at that Fat ASS !
Always be closing.

Money

Post by Money » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 pm

rockitsauce wrote:
BK METS wrote:
Miguel Cabrera
You can't be the best player in baseball when (speaking of #20) Mike Schmidt's 65 yr old ass can play a better 3B than you. Now if you want to say best hitter that's a different story.

The REAL best player in baseball patrols CF for the Angels, has a name that is reminiscent of a fish and rhymes w/ shout, and some jackasses think has been eating DOUGHnuts all winter and admiring his accomplishments from last yr.

I'm gonna go ahead and take his word that he's been working out....hard, or in the parlance of our times, BEASTMODE :twisted:

Miguel Cabrera is an excellent Third Baseman. He might be a little short on range, but he has great hands and great baseball instincts. Your assessment of his third base abilities are way off. I watch him every night, so this is an informed opinion, not an uninformed one. ;)
Joe

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:04 pm

rockitsauce wrote:
BK METS wrote:
Miguel Cabrera

TROUT.jpg
David, you are a funny guy. Saying that a guy who has had one good year, is the best player in baseball, while Miguel Cabrera has rediculous numbers including 9 straight 100 RBI seasons, a career .320 hitter, 30 HRs or more in the past 8 of 9 years, the first triple crown winner in 45 YEARS, and oh, by the way, 3rd in the American League in fielding pct for 3rd baseman, 1st in putouts, 1st in double plays, and only 13 errors in 154 games, best putout to error ratio in the league, for 3rd baseman.

Even if you consider him an "average" 3rd baseman, he is far and away the most dominant player in baseball over the past 9 years and coming off a triple crown, I think you can say he is the best player in baseball. Once Trout does it for another 8 years, then you put him in Miggy's league... maybe. ;)

Cobb

Post by Cobb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:18 pm

BK METS wrote:
rockitsauce wrote:
BK METS wrote:
Miguel Cabrera

TROUT.jpg

David, you are a funny guy. Saying that a guy who has had one good year, is the best player in baseball, while Miguel Cabrera has rediculous numbers including 9 straight 100 RBI seasons, a career .320 hitter, 30 HRs or more in the past 8 of 9 years, the first triple crown winner in 45 YEARS, and oh, by the way, 3rd in the American League in fielding pct for 3rd baseman, 1st in putouts, 1st in double plays, and only 13 errors in 154 games, best putout to error ratio in the league, for 3rd baseman.

Even if you consider him an "average" 3rd baseman, he is far and away the most dominant player in baseball over the past 9 years and coming off a triple crown, I think you can say he is the best player in baseball. Once Trout does it for another 8 years, then you put him in Miggy's league... maybe. ;)
WAR says differently.

Since when does somebody have to be the best of this decade to be the best right now?
"My reputation precedes me. Otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments." - Harry Crumb

Cobb

Post by Cobb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Money wrote:
rockitsauce wrote:
BK METS wrote:
Miguel Cabrera

Miguel Cabrera is an excellent Third Baseman. He might be a little short on range, but he has great hands and great baseball instincts. Your assessment of his third base abilities are way off. I watch him every night, so this is an informed opinion, not an uninformed one. ;)
So, I guess range doesn't count then? This post is funny.

I put in a Min of 500 innings into Fangraphs and Miggy was dead last in fielding UZR. With 200 innings he was 55 of 57...But I'll take your word for it!
"My reputation precedes me. Otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments." - Harry Crumb

Money

Post by Money » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Simply watch the guy play third base and then make your judgement. He is very consistent and will soon get the credit he deserves for it. Awesome last year and it was his first in many years. Many thought it would detract from his hitting. He won the triple crown while being outstanding changing positions.

Top 10 fielding 3B in all of baseball. Gold glove could be on the horizon!!
Joe

Cobb

Post by Cobb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Money wrote:Simply watch the guy play third base and then make your judgement. He is very consistent and will soon get the credit he deserves for it. Awesome last year and it was his first in many years. Many thought it would detract from his hitting. He won the triple crown while being outstanding changing positions.

Top 10 fielding 3B in all of baseball. Gold glove could be on the horizon!!
That's funny Money, a man can always dream! When you consider that bat he brings, you should be fine with having a 3B that can consistently make the play when it's hit right to him...that's all you're getting, but it's definitely worth it in fantasy.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Cobb wrote:
rockitsauce wrote:
BK METS wrote:
Miguel Cabrera

TROUT.jpg
So in your well informed, uber metrics opinion... who is the best player in baseball? Mike Trout? If one year is your measure and range is your most important category ( :lol: ), then Miggy is not the best player in baseball, but for me, in my humble opinion, the guy that wins the triple crown and MVP, is the best..

WAR says differently.

Since when does somebody have to be the best of this decade to be the best right now?[/quote]

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 pm

BK METS wrote:
rockitsauce wrote:
BK METS wrote:
Miguel Cabrera

TROUT.jpg

WAR says differently.

Since when does somebody have to be the best of this decade to be the best right now?[/quote][/quote]

So in your well informed, uber metrics opinion... who is the best player in baseball? Mike Trout? If one year is your measure and range is your most important category ( :lol: ), then Miggy is not the best player in baseball, but for me, in my humble opinion, the guy that wins the triple crown and MVP, is the best..

Cobb

Post by Cobb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:06 pm

WAR says differently.

Since when does somebody have to be the best of this decade to be the best right now?[/quote][/quote]

So in your well informed, uber metrics opinion... who is the best player in baseball? Mike Trout? If one year is your measure and range is your most important category ( :lol: ), then Miggy is not the best player in baseball, but for me, in my humble opinion, the guy that wins the triple crown and MVP, is the best..[/quote]

Well Alan, I know you're never wrong.

Miggy is the safest fantasy player, top pick worthy. But in real baseball, an excellent CF who can hit for average, has power, and incredible speed will be worth more than an awesome hitter who plays 3B and can only field a ball hit directly to him.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Cobb wrote:WAR says differently.

Since when does somebody have to be the best of this decade to be the best right now?
[/quote]

So in your well informed, uber metrics opinion... who is the best player in baseball? Mike Trout? If one year is your measure and range is your most important category ( :lol: ), then Miggy is not the best player in baseball, but for me, in my humble opinion, the guy that wins the triple crown and MVP, is the best..[/quote]

Miggy is the safest fantasy player, top pick worthy. But in real baseball, an excellent CF who can hit for average, has power, and incredible speed will be worth more than an awesome hitter who plays 3B and can only field a ball hit directly to him.
[/quote]

You dont lead the league in putouts and double plays at your position by only fielding balls directly to you. And as far as me always being right, I said from the start this was my "opinion". Last year, I watched the first player in my lifetime, hit for the triple crown, after probably being the best hitter in baseball the previous 8 seasons, so I am just stating the obvious. If you want to claim that Mike Trout is a better player, then that is your opinion as well. I personally feel you need to perform more than one season, to be considered the best player in baseball, but then again, this is a matter of opinion. There is no correct answer... :D

Cobb

Post by Cobb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:50 pm

BK METS wrote:
Cobb wrote:WAR says differently.

[/quote]

You dont lead the league in putouts and double plays at your position by only fielding balls directly to you. And as far as me always being right, I said from the start this was my "opinion". Last year, I watched the first player in my lifetime, hit for the triple crown, after probably being the best hitter in baseball the previous 8 seasons, so I am just stating the obvious. If you want to claim that Mike Trout is a better player, then that is your opinion as well. I personally feel you need to perform more than one season, to be considered the best player in baseball, but then again, this is a matter of opinion. There is no correct answer... :D[/quote]

I'm glad we got that out of the way.

I know you Miggy defenders will continue to cherry pick defensive metrics that require someone other than Miggy to help with, but there isn't a single full defensive metric that says anything other than the fact that he's not real good out there (other than Money's eyes). I'm not even anti-Miggy. I love him. I'm not sure Trout can duplicate last season, probably not. But he doesn't have to. He was far and away the most valuable last year based on WAR. I'm just saying you don't have to be the best of the last 10 years to be the best now. I'll say that Miggy is the best hitter in baseball, you happy! He just can't run or field...

You're old school and I'm new school...I don't care about RBI's, so the triple crown doesn't mean as much to me. A bunch of writers gave him the award because of his RBI's essentially. Trout should of been MVP last year.

Not sure about this year. I'm not going to say Trout won't be the best because he hasn't done it more than once, he was a rookie for god's sake! I'm also not going to say that Miggy won't be the best because he's a hell of a player. Chances are that some other player will emerge as the "best". I just don't get the knocking down Trout because he hasn't had sustained results beyond his 20 yr old season...how old is he this year?

Money

Post by Money » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:36 pm

I think it's time to call it a day.
Joe

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:12 am

Alan, for chrissakes you are a thick-headed sumbitch, from now on I dub thee Peter :twisted:

This was your ANNUAL Award Predictions thread. Annual means yearly, (like w/ certain plants) so what Miggy or Trout did 5 yrs ago means NOTHING. All that matters for 2012 was, wait for it....2012.

Go to Baseball Reference or Fangraphs or any site that uses metrics that truly assess a player's value and see for yourself. Trout was 1st in WAR in all of them. Miggy wasn't even close. Trout was 1st in WAR just offensively, never mind his obvious superior defensive play over Chubby Checkers Cabrera. Chubs ain't NEVER gonna remind anyone of Graig Nettles that's for damn sure, but Trout, he just might go down as one of the best OF ever. Does he have to do it for about 10-15 more yrs ? Absolutely. But after last yr's performance I ain't doubting him.

Trout was absurdly good last yr, just ridiculous. 20th greatest WAR EVER. On a par w/ Willie Mays & Ted Williams. No active player is close. It's too bad many of these old assclowns who vote for MVP, vote according to such overrated stats like freakin' RBI's. Miggy won b/c of the holy triple crown, whoopdeedamndoo. He ain't doing it w/out a career yr from Austin Jackson. Trout missed 1st month of season and still kicked ass like none before him....as a 20 yr old rookie.

Who's team won more games ? If not for being in the weakass AL Central Detroit doesn't even make the playoffs.

Fantasy wise, how many cat's did Miggy help you in ? Trout's got him beat there too. Plus Miggy's one DUI away from ending up in jail so Trout just might be the safer pk regardless :mrgreen:

Perhaps that was it. Trout had his career yr in his very 1st season in the majors, but I ain't buying it. I say he gets better. And that is scary.

Now go on back to storytime w/ the old fogies who know how to really judge a player's worth - like what does his girlfriend look like ? If she ain't hot as hades than the guy lacks confidence donchaknow ?!!
Always be closing.

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:53 am

Time to rename this thread to "Cabrera or Trout - which fatass gets more $ per lb?"
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:09 am

The Mighty Men wrote:Time to rename this thread to "Cabrera or Trout - which fatass gets more $ per lb?"
One of these "fatasses" stole 49 bases last yr and it would be a shock if he doen't get at least 30 this yr. The other, it would be shocking if he gets 5.

Now excuse me, but I hafta find out more about this Kazmir fellow. I thought it was just another good tune by the Zep :twisted:
Always be closing.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:38 pm

:D :D
rockitsauce wrote:Alan, for chrissakes you are a thick-headed sumbitch, from now on I dub thee Peter :twisted:

This was your ANNUAL Award Predictions thread. Annual means yearly, (like w/ certain plants) so what Miggy or Trout did 5 yrs ago means NOTHING. All that matters for 2012 was, wait for it....2012.

Go to Baseball Reference or Fangraphs or any site that uses metrics that truly assess a player's value and see for yourself. Trout was 1st in WAR in all of them. Miggy wasn't even close. Trout was 1st in WAR just offensively, never mind his obvious superior defensive play over Chubby Checkers Cabrera. Chubs ain't NEVER gonna remind anyone of Graig Nettles that's for damn sure, but Trout, he just might go down as one of the best OF ever. Does he have to do it for about 10-15 more yrs ? Absolutely. But after last yr's performance I ain't doubting him.

Trout was absurdly good last yr, just ridiculous. 20th greatest WAR EVER. On a par w/ Willie Mays & Ted Williams. No active player is close. It's too bad many of these old assclowns who vote for MVP, vote according to such overrated stats like freakin' RBI's. Miggy won b/c of the holy triple crown, whoopdeedamndoo. He ain't doing it w/out a career yr from Austin Jackson. Trout missed 1st month of season and still kicked ass like none before him....as a 20 yr old rookie.

Who's team won more games ? If not for being in the weakass AL Central Detroit doesn't even make the playoffs.

Fantasy wise, how many cat's did Miggy help you in ? Trout's got him beat there too. Plus Miggy's one DUI away from ending up in jail so Trout just might be the safer pk regardless :mrgreen:

Perhaps that was it. Trout had his career yr in his very 1st season in the majors, but I ain't buying it. I say he gets better. And that is scary.

Now go on back to storytime w/ the old fogies who know how to really judge a player's worth - like what does his girlfriend look like ? If she ain't hot as hades than the guy lacks confidence donchaknow ?!!
David, breathe in, breathe out... :roll:

Miggy

1st HR's
1st RBI's
1st BA
2nd hits
2nd runs scored
1st slugging pct
1st OPS
1st runs created (my opinion, the best hitting stat - Miggy leader or tied for the lead, 3 years in a row)

How would Trout be #1 in hitting "stats" realisticly... because of his stolen bases?

Lets talk about Trout's defense.. From what I see, Trout was rated 8th amongst outfielders in fielding UZR - ahead of him, none other than the slick fielding Alfonso Soriano. :lol:
Trout ranks 60th out of 62 outfielders in your UZR rating, for ARM. So, putting Trout in the elite outfielers of all time, you might want to get him to play a little better defense and improve on his Johnny Damon arm.

But, yeah, I agree.. Trout was definitely the best baserunner in the majors last year... :D

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:13 pm

rockitsauce wrote:
The Mighty Men wrote:Time to rename this thread to "Cabrera or Trout - which fatass gets more $ per lb?"
One of these "fatasses" stole 49 bases last yr and it would be a shock if he doen't get at least 30 this yr. The other, it would be shocking if he gets 5.

Now excuse me, but I hafta find out more about this Kazmir fellow. I thought it was just another good tune by the Zep :twisted:
It was just a joke, my friend. Trout is the man.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:37 pm

The Mighty Men wrote:
rockitsauce wrote:

It was just a joke, my friend. Trout is the man.
I knew that :mrgreen:
Always be closing.