Who Makes It Into The MLB Hall of Fame?

Greg Ambrosius

Who Makes It Into The MLB Hall of Fame?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:25 am

Today the BBWAA will announce the newest inductees to the Baseball Hall of Fame -- if there are any, that is. It's very possible with the Steroid Era players now eligible for induction that the writers will silence everyone out this year. It's possible.

But hopefully it won't happen. There has to be a way to deal with these Steroid Era players or we won't have anyone who played from 1985-2005 in the Hall of Fame. Something has to be done to deal with them. Or do we just handle this like we did with Pete Rose and keep him out of the Hall forever for betting on games as a manager when we're trying to vote for him as a former player?

"Keep 'em all out" some folks are shouting and I understand. But still, wasn't Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens Hall of Famers even before they possibly enhanced their skills?

Anyway, I don't have a vote for the Hall of Fame, but I do have opinions. Let's hear yours first before the voting is announced and see if anyone gets it right. Who do you vote for this year's Hall of Fame class?

Let's hear it.

By the way, here are 10 candidates who ESPN's Jayson Starks picked in a very good read:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hof13/story/_/id ... ame-ballot
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Who Makes It Into The MLB Hall of Fame?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:30 am

If I were voting, I'd submit:

Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Mike Piazza
Craig Biggio

I know Jack Morris was the ultimate "gamer" and big time pitcher and ace and all of that. But 254-186 with a career 3.90 ERA and 2,478 strikeouts in 3,824 innings? Are those DOMINANT stats? I know, I know, there's more here than just stats. But I never thought he was quite HOF worthy and I don't think he will make it this year.

Tim Raines is more viable for me than Morris, but I think he too falls short. He was one of the top leadoff men of our time and he hit .294 with 2,605 hits, 808 stolen bases and 1,571 runs. All good numbers, but maybe not quite good enough for Cooperstown.

I'm not there with Jeff Bagwell and I'm definitely not there with Sammy Sosa. I'm not sure what Sammy's career would have been like without the extra benefit he seemed to receive. No chance for me there.

I honestly don't think Bonds or Clemens will get into the HOF and I suppose just the suspicion that Piazza was linked to this era could keep him out as well. But I agree with Jayson Stark that none of them have been proven guilty of steroid use and if we're keeping these top players of our generation out of the Hall then you might as well forget about the last 20 years of the game. Nobody's getting it then.

I'd put them in and I'd do it now.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:28 am

I am not sure how to find the podcast or if one even exists but the interview with Gossage a couple days ago on "Inside Pitch" was great entertainment. Ha ha - he leaves little room for doubt regarding where he stands on this debate!

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 am

Sadly I think it is very likely they will not vote anyone in this year.

Something really needs to be done about HOF voting and the BBWAA
Last edited by Captain Hook on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 am

sad was when Jim Rice was voted in.
if no one gets in this year, c est la vie.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:01 am

I think Biggio has the best shot, although I see his chances being very slim.

The entire HOF voting process is flawed to the point of no return. Radical changes are needed with who receives the privilege of casting a vote.

The Baseball Hall of Fame was once known as the sacred shrine of the game of baseball. Now with all the PED's and the dozens upon dozens of unqualified shams voting on who gains admittance, it has lost so much of its appeal to me.
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 am

I have no problem with voters not wanting to reward suspected "juicers' with a First-time ballot selection.

What I don't like - and never have liked is a voter turning in a blank/protest ballot. IMO if you can't be bothered to submit a ballot - then you should lose your ballot. If you want to protest - then there is ALWAYS a candidate that I think qualifies for at least a token vote.

This year the guy for me is easy - it's DALE MURPHY. You want to send a message - then vote for the original Mr. Nice Guy.

I'd also vote for Edgar Martinez. The argument that all he could do was hit is lame. He was a DH - that was all he was supposed to do - right? This would be the perfect year to get a DH in the HOF.

There are others I would vote for - including those on your list.

I would also throw votes to Alan Trammell and Kenny Lofton (Lofton because I think like Mattingly he has done enough to remain on the ballot to properly analyze). Nothing worse than a borderline guy getting knocked off in Year 1 because no one supports even thinking about them. Like Lou Whitaker.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 am

NorCalAtlFan wrote:sad was when Jim Rice was voted in.
if no one gets in this year, c est la vie.
Sad was in 1996 - two years after a terrible strike - these boneheads elected NO ONE!

Veterans committee bailed them out -with Jim Bunning I guess (though that guy is a douche) - but writers missed the boat that year. God forbid we make sure the event has a "headliner"
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 am

I'd be mildly surprised if Biggio didn't get in. Of the 19 previous HOF eligible men that have 3000+ hits and who finished their careers post 1936 (first HOF voting), only two did not get in on the first ballot, Rafael Palmeiro (not in) and Paul Waner (6th try :o ....... 3152H/.333BA).

I don't think that Jack Morris will get in, but for those that do root for him to make it, you better hope he makes it this year. This is his 14th year of eligibility, which means he would still have a chance next year, but with newcomers Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Mike Mussina on the ballot in 2014; I think his chances next year are troublesome.
Last edited by Navel Lint on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 am

The whole process is flawed. The Hall is vague to the writers, so the writers (some of whom do not know Honus Wagner from Porter Wagoner) make up their own minds on what is right and what is wrong.
Major League Baseball and the Hall of Fame have painted themselves into a corner. By the bannings of Joe Jackson and Pete Rose, they have held players accountable for what they do, both on the field and off. A big mistake.
There are bigger assholes in the Hall than Pete Rose. There are players in the Hall who have done things worse than Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose.
If the Hall of Fame would just have the practice of the Vegas catch line, 'What happens on the field, stays on the field', we would have our greatest hit maker in Rose,and one of the game's best players in Jackson in the Hall. And, there would be no problem with the voting in of Bonds and Clemens today.
Instead of judging whether one player may be guilty of this or that, they should be looking at the Big Picture.
The Hall should only judge players for what happened on the field.

I hope that if nobody gets voted in that the Hall and MLB will take notice. Baseball players have never had the highest of morals. Sure, we feel great when 'nice guys' like Gehrig, Ripken, and Gwynn get in over Cobb, Speaker, or Bonds.
But, 'Miss Congeniality' isn't a category here.
Quite simply, the Hall needs to get out of the morals business and get back into something the fans really care about, baseball.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:16 am

Ryan C wrote:....... Nothing worse than a borderline guy getting knocked off in Year 1 because no one supports even thinking about them. Like Lou Whitaker.
Add Bobby Grich, Darrell Evans, Ted Simmons, and Bill Buckner to the one and done list.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:19 am

You are right Dan.

The writers need to be reigned in. This is after-all a "Museum" of baseball. Can't white-wash the reality of any "era" of the game. It is WAY past time to add more qualified people to the voting roster and set a new standard for keeping your voting eligibility. Cory Schwartz pointed out on FB how three guys who had a baseball beat years ago - now cover Golf and still get to vote on the HOF. I get that they "paid their dues" but if you no longer cover the game - you should have to meet some sort of criteria to remain an active voter.

Think about some of the guys who DON'T have votes. My list of those I would add would start with Vin Scully and Bill James. Then I would build from there every year. Add another "Broadcaster" every year and then add a "SABR" based analyst like James as well. Let living HOF's vote on the real deal - not just the Vets. And last - but not least - allow "fans" to submit a ballot as well. Let the fans vote only count as a way to keep a player on the ballot for another year. Force the actual voters to keep considering players even if they don't want to vote for them. At least the fans would have a voice. Think how many fan votes Ron Santo would have gotten. Maybe enough to have forced the Hall to actually vote him in while he was still alive to enjoy the moment.
Mastersball

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

no way i let the idiots(fans) vote. it's bad enough what they do to the all star game.

i have no problem if no one gets in.

as for morris, he shouldn't be in the equation at all. i think i heard it on mlb network, schilling and his numbers are what morris supporters wish they had.

Money

Post by Money » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Jack Morris Plain and simple. Many don't agree. Three World Series Championships with different teams as the ace on the staff.

The rest mean nothing. Keep the cheaters out until they figure it out. Rose should go in before them
Joe

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:30 pm

I would love to see Bonds, Clemens, and the rest of the alleged kept out this year. For me, they forever damaged one of the great parts of our pastime, the numbers that once meant so much.

I think there's only one sure fire must induct at all costs this year.....Mike Piazza.
Let's also hope he's inducted wearing the cap he most assuredly deserves to be inducted in...that of our own New York Mets.
What the Hall did to Gary Carter in a similar regard is still a travesty to the national consciousness. 8-)

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Piazza is a 'Yeahbut'.
A guy that people say his name and the next guy says, 'Yeah but what if he did them too?' And I'm betting some writers have heard those same rumors and will leave him off too.
We're smart enough to know that Bonds deserves asterisks. In my heart, Roger Maris still owns the single season home run mark and Hank Aaron has the total home runs record.
To discern who did what is crazy. Crazier still, is spanking them five years later instead of taking care of business when it occurred. It's Major League Baseball's bad.
Using the Hall as its punishment paddle for excelling during the time frame is plain not right.
On my tombstone-

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:01 pm

Just announced - no one has been voted into to the Hall of Fame.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:02 pm

most excellent

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:04 pm

Again the voting process and/or voters really needs to be reviewed ..... consider that amongst all the babble about sterioids there were many who did not vote at all - Craig Biggio was just 39 votes short begging the question of how many who are honored to be given a ballot failed to turn one in or turned in one with no players checked.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Piazza and Bagwell should have gotten in. Two of the greatest players ever at their respective positions and unlike Bonds, Clemens, McGwire and Sosa, there is no direct or strong circumstantial evidence linking them to steroids. I never felt like Biggio was a Hall of Famer watching him play but the numbers clearly are deserving.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:20 pm

maybe with piazza, but i put bagwell with the sosa's and mcgwire's. but that's just me

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:25 pm

'there is no direct or strong circumstantial evidence linking them to steroids.'

To you, yes.
To another, Piazza was balding. And to another, he looked 'too bulky'. And to another, 'he probably did it, everybody was'.
We have writers who are analyzing the how, more than the what.
On my tombstone-

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:'there is no direct or strong circumstantial evidence linking them to steroids.'

To you, yes.
To another, Piazza was balding. And to another, he looked 'too bulky'. And to another, 'he probably did it, everybody was'.
I agree. I think Piazza did steroids too. I'd say there's probably a very good chance he did. But unless you have direct linkage or your hat size grows 10 times and something along those lines I'm voting you in if you're deserving. And there's no question Piazza's deserving.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:'there is no direct or strong circumstantial evidence linking them to steroids.'

To you, yes.
I agree. I think Piazza did steroids too. I'd say there's probably a very good chance he did. But unless you have direct linkage or your hat size grows 10 times and something along those lines I'm voting you in if you're deserving. And there's no question Piazza's deserving.
Your proving my point. Half of a group will think there is circumstantial evidence, the other half, no.
With that line being drawn, it will be most difficult for any player to be voted in
On my tombstone-

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:37 pm

There's a difference between circumstantial evidence and guessing. It would appear a lot of writers are subscribing to the latter as it pertains to Piazza and Bagwell. Bonds, Clemens, Sosa and McGwire all clearly fall in the former or are directly linked to them in some fashion by their own admission so I have no problem keeping all of them out.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich