What Technical Improvements Would You Like To See?

NorCalAtlFan

Re: What Technical Improvements Would You Like To See?

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:25 am

Quahogs wrote:
Deadheadz wrote:
NFBC ADP will be less relevant to anyone who plays
Wasn't that the case this year? How many DC's did you do again...? :lol:
ouch! +1 for the champ.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:29 am

Quahogs wrote:
Deadheadz wrote:
NFBC ADP will be less relevant to anyone who plays
Wasn't that the case this year? How many DC's did you do again...? :lol:

I don't understand your point. Many radio shows, podcasts and newspapers (USAToday) quote NFBC ADP for the masses. It won't relate much to anyone other than NFBCers if those changes happen.

If the proposed flexibility was in place this season, is Miggy ADP #1 over Trout?

He'll be 1B/3B very soon.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

jblume33

Post by jblume33 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:42 am

I have to think this has been mentioned in the past but do not remember seeing it -- can IT add to roster settings the pitchers your hitters will be facing for the upcoming period? The matchup, lefty/righty, prior success, the more information the better. Some things are certainly more useful than others but it would be nice to have it at our disposal. You can just hover over the team and get some of that information. It is frustrating having to go to different sites when it seems like it can be easily included here. I know other sites have this ability. Thanks.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun May 11, 2014 8:15 pm

We wait.
Wasn't FAAB supposed to get quicker?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun May 11, 2014 8:21 pm

FAAB FAIL

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Sun May 11, 2014 8:21 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:We wait.
I am resigned to the fate that it will NEVER get faster.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

COZ

Post by COZ » Sun May 11, 2014 8:22 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:We wait.
Maddening. Constantly refreshing and waiting for the stupid results to load. Pisses me off beyond belief week after week.
It takes seconds to run these but 30 minutes to release? Why?

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun May 11, 2014 8:26 pm

it' almost like the programmers have it built in the code to run each league's FAAB with a time delay after each league..

League 1 FAAB runs
[wait 5 seconds]
League 2 FAAB runs
[wait 5 seconds]
League 3 FAAB runs

Come on tech guys, this is supposed to be the EASY stuff

COZ

Post by COZ » Sun May 11, 2014 8:31 pm

Gekko wrote:it' almost like the programmers have it built in the code to run each league's FAAB with a time delay after each league..

League 1 FAAB runs
[wait 5 seconds]
League 2 FAAB runs
[wait 5 seconds]
League 3 FAAB runs

BINGO. I think you nailed it. I get one league released and then it takes 20 minutes for the others to slowly trickle in.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun May 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Before the results are released, they must be printed and reviewed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlEUrEVqDbo

Money

Post by Money » Sun May 11, 2014 9:06 pm

It's simply a mental mind game. Tune in at 10:30 EST and get everything you want. Last year we got them at 8:30 EST and everyone wanted it changed. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. ;)
Joe

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon May 12, 2014 4:09 am

wait a minute, i think i found the problem...we say we are going to do something; however we don't bother testing it, for if we did, we woulda known FAAB results are still delayed

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 12, 2014 7:10 am

Gekko wrote:it' almost like the programmers have it built in the code to run each league's FAAB with a time delay after each league..

League 1 FAAB runs
[wait 5 seconds]
League 2 FAAB runs
[wait 5 seconds]
League 3 FAAB runs

Nah, that's not how it's done. It takes 2-4 seconds for each league to run FAAB and you get updated results as soon as your league is run. With hundreds of leagues, this can take up to 20 minutes to run all of the leagues. We are now starting at 10:10 pm ET, so it's possible that the league you want results for is near the end of the line, which is closer to 10:30 pm ET. But you can't just run FAAB for hundreds of leagues and have it all done in five minutes. It takes a little time to do them all.

Joe is right. If this is getting too late for everyone, maybe we should reconsider the later FAAB time.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon May 12, 2014 7:20 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote: But you can't just run FAAB for hundreds of leagues and have it all done in five minutes. It takes a little time to do them all.
Greg, I'm sorry but your statement above is just flat out incorrect. There are other sites that run the FAAB for all their leagues simultaneously and the results are instantaneous.

MFL for instance is a perfect example. That site runs more fantasy football leagues by far than STATS has baseball leagues and the results for each and every one of their leagues are completed and emails sent out with the results before a minute has gone by from their deadline.

I love the new 10pm deadline. It gives two hours of my time back to my family on a Sunday while my kids are still up that I didn't have before. However, for those with multiple leagues requiring lineups and a job to go to early Monday morning, every lost minute after 10pm has value. That time is priceless. I was up 'til after midnight doing lineups last night.

If there's any way to further quicken the processing time, I can guarantee that there's not one customer of yours that wouldn't greatly appreciate it.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon May 12, 2014 7:30 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Nah, that's not how it's done. It takes 2-4 seconds for each league to run FAAB and you get updated results as soon as your league is run. With hundreds of leagues, this can take up to 20 minutes to run all of the leagues. We are now starting at 10:10 pm ET, so it's possible that the league you want results for is near the end of the line, which is closer to 10:30 pm ET. But you can't just run FAAB for hundreds of leagues and have it all done in five minutes. It takes a little time to do them all.
Greg -either your tech guys aren't being truthful to you or the platform/code they are using is obsolete. Either way, they put you in a bad position.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon May 12, 2014 7:32 am

Glenneration X wrote: Greg, I'm sorry but your statement above is just flat out incorrect. There are other sites that run the FAAB for all their leagues simultaneously and the results are instantaneous.

MFL for instance is a perfect example. That site runs more fantasy football leagues by far than STATS has baseball leagues and the results for each and every one of their leagues are completed and emails sent out with the results before a minute has gone by from their deadline.
Greg - can you forward this post to the tech guys and let us know their response?

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Mon May 12, 2014 7:50 am

:geek:
FWIW the FAAB in ESPN weekly leagues cuts off at 23:00ET and the results are available within a minute or two.

As far as setting lineups, I think 21 hours is plenty. Of course, I'm looking at only 13 leagues so maybe the hardcore vets may have double the work. And then there's Josh. He must make a full time job of setting lineups.

Sites like ESPN and CBS, etc must have a ton of servers dedicated to running FAAB. If we want the same from NFBC we may have to live with a slightly higher percentage of vig to cover the cost.

Is it possible to lease server time on Big Blue or Deep Blue for 10 minutes once a week?

:geek:
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 12, 2014 8:26 am

Glenneration X wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote: But you can't just run FAAB for hundreds of leagues and have it all done in five minutes. It takes a little time to do them all.
Greg, I'm sorry but your statement above is just flat out incorrect. There are other sites that run the FAAB for all their leagues simultaneously and the results are instantaneous.

I love the new 10pm deadline. It gives two hours of my time back to my family on a Sunday while my kids are still up that I didn't have before. However, for those with multiple leagues requiring lineups and a job to go to early Monday morning, every lost minute after 10pm has value. That time is priceless. I was up 'til after midnight doing lineups last night.

If there's any way to further quicken the processing time, I can guarantee that there's not one customer of yours that wouldn't greatly appreciate it.
Okay, let's see how we can run them faster then. I'm telling you how we run them now. If we can somehow turn 20 minutes into 1 minute in the future we'll do it.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Mon May 12, 2014 8:55 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote: Okay, let's see how we can run them faster then. I'm telling you how we run them now. If we can somehow turn 20 minutes into 1 minute in the future we'll do it.
Technologically speaking, it's the difference between sequential processing and concurrent processing.

Running FAAB for one league at a time will always take longer than running them all at the same time. If you replace your reel-to-reel tape drives with something newer - say, an Apple IIe - you'll gain an instant speed boost.

;) ;) ;)
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun May 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Gekko wrote:
Glenneration X wrote: Greg, I'm sorry but your statement above is just flat out incorrect. There are other sites that run the FAAB for all their leagues simultaneously and the results are instantaneous.

Greg - can you forward this post to the tech guys and let us know their response?
Any response from the tech team?

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun May 18, 2014 8:40 pm

40 minutes after faab locked and no results for Platinum league or Main Event March 29 1 pm ET League 5

this is beyond frustrating. epic failure

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:48 pm

47 minutes now...do I set my lineup at 1am or tomorrow at 6:59 if I get home from a late appointment in time? This move to 10pm is ridiculous
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun May 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Gekko wrote:40 minutes after faab locked and no results for Platinum league or Main Event March 29 1 pm ET League 5

this is beyond frustrating. epic failure
Was just about to post this. Also no results for:

Primetime March 22 7pm ET
Primetime Las Vegas-Online March 30
Online Championship Mar 30 3:00pm Lg.2961
Online Championship Mar 27 7:00pm Lg.2940
Main Event New York League 4
Main Event New York League 2
Last edited by King of Queens on Sun May 18, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun May 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:

Okay, let's see how we can run them faster then. I'm telling you how we run them now. If we can somehow turn 20 minutes into 1 minute in the future we'll do it.
How about we just turn an hour plus back into 20 minutes. Right now I'll take it.

Greg in all seriousness, it's 11pm and we still don't have results for some of our leagues.
Think we need to tweak this up a bit now?

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun May 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
Greg in all seriousness, it's 11pm and we still don't have results for some of our leagues.
when shit like this happens, it causes owners to look elsewhere for their fantasy fix. come on STATS, it's almost like you don't want to keep your business