NFBC Live Chat With Todd Zola: Thursday At 7 p.m. EST

ToddZ

Re: NFBC Live Chat With Todd Zola: Thursday At 7 p.m. EST

Post by ToddZ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Geoffrey Stein wrote:I'll stick with the "guys I scooped up in my slow draft theme..."

The Cardinals have had good luck as of late getting the most out of their veteran signings. What is the power upside for Carlos Beltran now that he's out of Citi Field and AT&T park? (Keeping in mind Busch Stadium isn't exactly a power paradise.) A repeat of his .300-22-84 from last season would make my happy with my 12th-round investment. Any chance he gets to 30 dingers and 100 RBI?

Jacob Turner in Detroit was one of the game's top prospects at this point last year, but struggled in his three starts late in the season -- not a surprise considering his age. Entering this year, though, it looks like the Tigers may be looking at him as their No. 4 or No. 5 starter. If he's figured things out, is there any chance that he's a viable Fantasy Baseball starter at any point in 2012?
The new Busch Stadium depresses RH power by 30% -- I don't see 30, but nothing shocks me anymore. Health is also a concern.

I think Turner has a shot at being an SP5 in fantasy -- to me, an SP5 is a guy I always start at home and will spot start him on the road. So yeah, he definitely has a shot at being viable.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

telestar

Post by telestar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:04 pm

ToddZ wrote:
telestar wrote:
My Tier 1 is smaller
Napoli/Santana/McCann
Tier 2
Montero/Wieters/Avila/Posey/Mauer
Tier 3
Arencibia/Molina/Soto/Buck/Suzuki
OK - last one for me and thanks for the insight, Todd.
If someone forced you to draft other positions such that you did not get a top six 1B (Pujols, Cabrera, Votto, Gonzalez, Fielder, Teixeira), who would you aim for? I am thinking Hosmer, Ike Davis, Konerko and Freeman are a step ahead of Goldschmidt, Lind, Howard and G.Sanchez. So the way I look at it, Davis, Freeman and even Goldschmidt could be reasonable values if you are looking later for a 1B.
Thanks again!

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:20 pm

telestar wrote:
OK - last one for me and thanks for the insight, Todd.
If someone forced you to draft other positions such that you did not get a top six 1B (Pujols, Cabrera, Votto, Gonzalez, Fielder, Teixeira), who would you aim for? I am thinking Hosmer, Ike Davis, Konerko and Freeman are a step ahead of Goldschmidt, Lind, Howard and G.Sanchez. So the way I look at it, Davis, Freeman and even Goldschmidt could be reasonable values if you are looking later for a 1B.
Thanks again!
It's all about where you get them, not so much raw ranking. I don't "aim" for anyone, I take the one that gives me the most potential for the draft spot. Hosmer is going too early for me, I'm concerned about Ike's health and don't like the K% of Goldshmidt with a couple of backups there in case he slumps. I'm not touching Howard in March. So while I would not target them per say, I am guessing I would end up with Konerko, Freeman, Lind or Gaby, whoever I could get at a good spot.

Subscribe HERE

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm happy to keep this thread open - at least until Shawn comes out of hibernation, I'd rather ask him this stuff too :)

And for those interested, we still have a spot in the combo AL only and NL only league. It's $1025 to get in, we award AL only and NL only (1st and 2nd) as well as a combined champ and runner-up. It's a keeper league with a bunch of NFBC vets.

PM me for details.

Subscribe HERE

Geoffrey Stein

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks, Todd!
Geoffrey Stein - (No Longer)Senior Editor, Fanball.com (R.I.P.)
[email protected]
AIM: gstein729

Money

Post by Money » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Great discussion Todd. I didn't jump in but I loved the questions and the responses as I followed it throughout the day.
Joe

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks for chatting tonight, and, as you and others...Childs, Dough, etc. have always been willing to give us your thoughtful honest and valuable opinions I just want you know how much it is appreciated.

I love your stuff over at MasterBalls and KFFL Lord Zola, and really like how you jump in and answer questions in the threads here at NFBC.

I also love how you have been the only industry "expert" to jump in and play with us on a consistent basis. I think it shows more courage for an industry professional like yourself to play with the masses in the high-stakes leagues, the best of which is the NFBC, then to play just in expert mock drafts. You have been the most courageous of the experts, and I hope it continues in 2012. As Quahogs once said, after winning it all in the Main Event, " there is a lot of luck involved". Maybe this is your year to get lucky....I believe you are good enough to win it all even though you handicap yourself heavily by publizing your intentions in advance!
- Robert

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks so much for the chat, Todd. I've got a family member in the hospital so it's tough for me right now to keep up with the daily fantasy baseball anything and everything. Really enjoyed reading your responses in this chat and have in past years too. If you are going to continue to answer questions in this thread, here are mine...
1. What are your thoughts on Alex Rios and what do you mostly attribute to his debacle last year? Is it more his mental makeup/attitude and motivation? How are you approaching him this year? Surely, he is one of the more difficult players to figure out.
2. Do you subscribe to doughy's Missouri/Missouri approach? It sounds like you will probably not be drafting guys like hosmer, lawrie, or Jennings based upon their current adps. Is this simply a matter of avoiding risk due to the lack of facing major league pitching or is there something more that I'm missing?
3. Is Kinsler one of those players that sacrifices batting average for power? Is there any hope that he could approach 2010's batting average while maintaining 2009 or 2011's HR total? His h% was only 24% in 2009 and 2011. Your thoughts on Kinsler?

That's all I've got off the top of my head. Thanks Todd.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:10 am

rkulaski wrote:Thanks so much for the chat, Todd. I've got a family member in the hospital so it's tough for me right now to keep up with the daily fantasy baseball anything and everything. Really enjoyed reading your responses in this chat and have in past years too. If you are going to continue to answer questions in this thread, here are mine...
1. What are your thoughts on Alex Rios and what do you mostly attribute to his debacle last year? Is it more his mental makeup/attitude and motivation? How are you approaching him this year? Surely, he is one of the more difficult players to figure out.

The obvious numerish thing to point to is his low BABIP and how it should correct. But there is some more advanced data out there now that shows he was more than unlucky, he did not hit the ball as hard as he has in the past and BABIP on weakly hit balls, especially fly balls, is VERY low. Rios hit a ton of weak fly balls (I know, it is a subjective call, but that's what the data says) so it was more than just bad luck. He has bounced back before and I am not afraid of him if others let him drop, but I am not targeting him either, now that I have seen the advanced batted ball data.

2. Do you subscribe to doughy's Missouri/Missouri approach? It sounds like you will probably not be drafting guys like hosmer, lawrie, or Jennings based upon their current adps. Is this simply a matter of avoiding risk due to the lack of facing major league pitching or is there something more that I'm missing?

I temper my expectations for these types of players. In very early drafts, they were going in the 6th round and I was all over that, but once they started going 5 then 4 then 3, I am on the sidelines. I don't think I am giving too much away when I say I am usually looking for my SP1 there, unless there is a stick I want and I can get the same pitcher in round 4. Grabbing these guys in the 6th, or even 5th provides a buffer -- that is GONE in the third. And, dollars to donuts (WTF does that mean?) I bet each of the three is taken in round 2 in at least one Classic league.

3. Is Kinsler one of those players that sacrifices batting average for power? Is there any hope that he could approach 2010's batting average while maintaining 2009 or 2011's HR total? His h% was only 24% in 2009 and 2011. Your thoughts on Kinsler?

I don't think it is a conscious thing, I think it just happens. Kinsler is a fly ball hitter and fly balls that do not leave the yard are caught, so his BABIP is naturally low. Fortunately, his CT% is really high so it balances. At end of the season, his average depends on how many liners he hits. I have him in the .270 range, with another 30/30 season if he stays healthy enough.

Subscribe HERE

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:34 am

Great job last night Todd and thanks so much for doing this. You set the record for our Message Boards last night as we had our biggest traffic to date on these new boards during your Live Chat. Appreciate it and so do our customers.

It's the perfect primer before the Childs Live Chat!! You were the Opening Act!! ;)

Okay Mr. Childs, what time are you free on Sunday Night. Let's do it. As Bart Scott said: "CAN'T WAIT!!" :mrgreen:
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Money

Post by Money » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:05 pm

ToddZ wrote:I'm happy to keep this thread open - at least until Shawn comes out of hibernation, I'd rather ask him this stuff too :)

And for those interested, we still have a spot in the combo AL only and NL only league. It's $1025 to get in, we award AL only and NL only (1st and 2nd) as well as a combined champ and runner-up. It's a keeper league with a bunch of NFBC vets.

PM me for details.
OK, If you're still open for business how about breaking down the 3 closer / reliever types being converted to starting pitchers.

Feliz
Sale
Bard

Thanks.
Joe

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Money wrote:
OK, If you're still open for business how about breaking down the 3 closer / reliever types being converted to starting pitchers.

Feliz
Sale
Bard

Thanks.
Full disclosure here -- this sort of analysis is not my strong suit. In fact, the disclosure may be better advice than the ensuing breakdown. We really do not know how the numbers as a reliever will translate to starting. I think this is an example of where seeing these guys pitch, especially if you are trained from a scouting perspective, can be better than looking at the peripherals and assuming a certain decline based on starting. That is, being more in tune with what pitches a guy throws and how good his other pitches are, the ones he put in his back pocket when he converted to relief are more helpful than translating reliever K/9 into starting K/9, for example.

So personally, I feel from a game theory perspective, the fantasy owner should play to his strength to cover a weakness. I feel as though I can see through some of the (I know, it's cliche, but it's true) luck aspects of pitchers with a track record, so I will not be touching any of the above guys, but instead look for the arms that should be better than last year's surface stats suggest.

With that as a backdrop....

FELIZ - Texas showed with Ogando that they will coddle him a bit in terms of innings (extra day, skipping starts, more time around the ASB, etc) to monitor his workload, ironically using Ogando to spot start. My concern with Feliz is two-fold. First, I know he appeared healthy, but smoke usually equals fire and there was something mysterious going on last spring with the first time he was stretched out. I'm just concerned of an injury. Second, he needs another pitch, probably a curve, to get through the order 3 or 4 times.

SALE - peripherals as a reliever are off the charts, so it is extra hard to figure out how that translates as a starter. I'm also concerned he never really worked as a starter in the minors, coming right out of college to debut with Chicago the same year. He will also throw fewer innings which lowers strikeouts and the impact of ratios. He will also not go very far into games since he get so many BB and K. I like that he is a GB guy, but don't like that he throws so many sliders. Seems to me he will need to throw fewer to prevent an injury and his slider is what makes him so effective.

BARD - I'm still not convinced he actually makes the transition. If Boston acquires another starter (Oswalt, Wandy) then I think he goes back to the 8th inning role and the Red Sox look to make it a 6 inning game with Melancon/Bard/Bailey. Having seen Bard, he throws hard, but it does not appear to be with a great deal of movement, so the second and third time through, hitters could get their timing down and square upon his heater. Pitching coach Bob McClure has been known to use relievers as starters in the spring to get them more work on secondary pitches, so even if Bard begins ST starting, I will still not be convinced.

Subscribe HERE

Likewhat17

Post by Likewhat17 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 pm

As has been mentioned numerous times already, thanks for doing this Todd, much appreciated!

My co-manager and I have been arguing back and forth about Mark Trumbo and what type of playing time he'll get this year, care to weigh in on how many at-bats you'd expect, and what kind of production?

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Likewhat17 wrote:As has been mentioned numerous times already, thanks for doing this Todd, much appreciated!

My co-manager and I have been arguing back and forth about Mark Trumbo and what type of playing time he'll get this year, care to weigh in on how many at-bats you'd expect, and what kind of production?
The general answer is I think they will find him something less than full time, but not quite part time at bats. I've got him for mid-400s, but if you ask me where, I can't tell you, which begs the question, "then how can you say he will get that many?"

We know Pujols is at 1B, Howard (not Howie) Kendrick is at 2B with Aybar at SS. We know Hunter and Bourjos are in the OF and Trumbo won't catch.

So that leaves 1 OF spot, 3B and DH. They are giving Trumbo a 3B mitt and hoping he can field well enough to give him the position, but who knows if the stress fracture is really healed well enough for him to get the reps needs to learn the position. Plus, Scioscia is stickler for D, so at worse, Trumbo loses a few AB after he is lifted for D late.

Wells and Trout likely will battle it out in LF. Trout either makes the team and plays (putting Wells at DH) or is at Triple-A. I think he is at Triple-A so that leaves DH with Kendrys Morales the wild card, plus Bobby Abreu, the almost-again Yankee, thanks to AJ Burnett vetoing a deal to Anaheim. Smoke usually equals fire, so I would not be surprised if LAA moves Abreu.

So I guess between the chance Trumbo can play 3B and the chance DH is open with Abreu gone and Morales still hobbled avails enough of a path for 450 at bats. If he wins the job full time at 3B or if Morales is still hurt, add 100 AB.

For me, Trumbo is a reserve guy, have playing time and performance concerns, his CT% worries me.

Subscribe HERE

Money

Post by Money » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:19 pm

ToddZ wrote:
ChiScottieBaseball wrote:What does your KDS look like for the 15 team Main Event and 12 team?

Thanks Todd!
Right now they look like this:

But that is because i don't know if i am going to be able to play this year. But if I do....

I like the advantage Pujols and Miggy give you and am confident enough that someone will take Kemp 1 or 2 that I will start with

2, 3, 1

I really don't like 4-7 as my next favorite guy is Cano and I would rather not be forced to take him so high if I can get him lower. I also really like the end of the 1st because I like being able to pair up picks. So....

2,3,1,11,12,13,14,15,10,9,8,7,6,5,4 would probably be my KDS in the Classic.

In the NFBC XII, same idea, except the 2nd round inventory is completely different with 3 extra guys in it. I have not really done much 12 team analysis, but I am guessing 2,3,1,7,8,9,10,15,14,13,12,11,6,5,4

I'd shoot for Miggy/Pujols, then Cano or Longoria if I am in the middle.
Todd, I realize I'm a little late for this but can explain the advantage that Miggy/Pujols give you over Kemp?

Thanks.
Joe

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Money wrote:
Todd, I realize I'm a little late for this but can explain the advantage that Miggy/Pujols give you over Kemp?

Thanks.
I was a little misleading with the statement. The specific advantage is over the field, I think they are in a tier by themselves.

Over Kemp, peace of mind that they will return top-10 value. This time last year, we were calling Kemp a disappointment, a waste of talent. Now we say "he figured it out."

Personally, don't care about that sort of stuff. What I care about is he still strikes out over 23% of the time and he carried a sick .380 BABIP last year that can only come down as well as a big spike in his HR/FB that I do not think is sustainable.

He is still going to bully up the counting stats, no doubt at all. But his average is a big risk, and I would rather go with one of a couple of guys that have an extended track record of reliable production.

Research shows that 30% of the first 15 in the 2012 NFBC ADP will end the season with first round value. That's 4, maybe 5 guys.I like the chances of Miggy or Pujols over Kemp, even though Kemp has a higher ceiling.

Subscribe HERE