Self-Scouting Ryan Howard

Schwks

Self-Scouting Ryan Howard

Post by Schwks » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 pm

In early December, I was informed by my wife that from Dec 17-24th, we would be going on a Disney Cruise with her mom and my 4 year old son. I had never been on a cruise, and more importantly had no desire to ever go on one. I like to be immersed in a vacation...not sitting around waiting for the next meal.

On Thursday, 5 days into the trip, I was antsy. I had already lost in round two of a ping pong tournament to a 16 year old with a nasty backhand slam shot. I had already watched Tangled, Jungle Book and Mickey cartoons with my son. I had already seen the lecture on getting flatter, firmer abs. I was bored.

My wife and her mother suggested BINGo at 11 am on Thursday. I looked at the ship schedule and noticed a 3 on 3 basketball tournament. I excitedly bagged BINGO in favor of hoops.

ABout 15 minute into my first game, my team was down 9-2. The team we were playing had a second decent player who was big and could stand under the basket and score. I had stugatz. As I chased a loose ball, I felt someone kick me in the back of my right leg. I turned and realized that there was nobody there, but that my right foot was no longer working.

I did not need the trip to the ship doctor to tell me that I had pulled a Ryan Howard. My achilles was ruptured. A ship-to-shore call to my doctor confirmed that I had 10-14 days to get the surgery done or else the tendon coils up into the leg and the window is closed.

So for the last 5 days I have absorbed the Baseball Forecaster, read every fantasy baseball site imaginable and spent more time on the NFBC message boards then should be legal...all with my foot in the air. Tomorrow, I go under the knife, and hopefully, knock on wood all will go right, and I will be able to update you all on what Ryan Howard is going through and what his value will be in 2012.

Some advice learned the hard way: Cruises...avoid them unless your idea of vacation is shuffleboard and wine tasting. Basketball...do not jump into a game in your mid 40's if you have not been playing at least semi-regularly.
schwanks.blogspot.com
Little Bits mostly non-related to fantasy sports...alright maybe a little

Likewhat17

Re: Self-Scouting Ryan Howard

Post by Likewhat17 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:24 pm

tough break Schwks, sorry to hear. Hope all goes well with the surgery

At least it gave you a chance to get ahead on your prep work though!

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Good luck with the surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

PS- When I was reading the story and you mentioned the other team had a decent 2nd player who would stand under the rim I was assuming you were going to say it was Ryan Howard. And then I got to the painful part

Jason

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:34 pm

ouch! funny story, but a painful lesson. I'm 41, I know EXACTLY what you mean...(shoulda stuck w/ ping pong :D ) Good luck w/ the surgery & hope u have a fast recovery.

* I'm thinking no way on Howard unless it's > rd 15 (and I'm a Phillie fan!)
Always be closing.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:00 pm

here's to a speedy recovery! :)

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Tough luck my friend, all around. Do not worry about the loss of athletic flexibility. After you turn fifty like me, you will have been in pain so long (i.e. spraining you back passing gas, charlie horses from stretching in bed, carpel tunnel from...well, you know) it no longer matters. You are numb.

After the surgery, my suggestion is to have wife, mother-in-law, and son bring you one beer every fifteen minutes until you pass out, then bring you one every thirty minutes.

Seriously, good luck. We will be thinking of you and have a speedy rehab.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:18 pm

If the doc is stumped we can help out here ! Make sure he doesn't forget to attach the tendon thingy to the arterial wallsabob. He can refer to message board here... oh, and good luck !

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Now I don't feel like playing noon hour hoops tomorrow. :| I've never even considered that injury while playing and I'm 51.

I also don't feel like eating after Quahogs' latest picture. Yikes, that's BRUTAL.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:11 pm

that is just wrong Steve!! horrible.

Schwks

Post by Schwks » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:37 pm

All went well...thanks for the good wishes...it meant a lot. I point blank asked my surgeon about Ryan Howard for fantasy purposes this season...which he found quite funny. I wanted the NFBCers to know the even on the surgical table, I could still focus on the important stuff.
schwanks.blogspot.com

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Good Luck in the recovery

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Heal fast amigo! The Forecaster is an integral part of my rehab as well.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:36 am

I read the title of the posting and thought you had some info for us on Ryan Howard! Definitely a good story and hope your recovery goes well. I totally agree with you about cruises, not my idea of a good vacation, and I'll tell you what --- my wife better not ever book a cruise without some discussion before the fact. Oh, and Mr Quahogs -- don't post that kind of stuff again. Please. Let's save the space here for the pictures of the nice looking girls.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Not that I wanted to see this Achilles picture again, but this is as good a post as any for an update on Ryan Howard. Maybe Doug can give us an update on his recovery, too. Anyway, here's the latest on Ryan Howard:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 2/34948308
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Schwks

Post by Schwks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Greg, Thanks for the concern...I have been following Ryan Howard's (and now Chauncy Billups as well)recovery as closely as the news allows. By my calculations, he is over 4 months post surgery now. His recovery is quite amazing. I also think athletes can dedicate themselves to rehab 24-7 and are younger then yours truly, so their timetables for recovery are probably shorter.

I am almost 7 weeks post op, and came out of the boot last week. Walking with a significant limp, still significant pain and PT 3 hours a day, 3 times per week. I can not imagine playing ball on 2 months, and my orthopedist assures me that I should avoid Howard in this year's drafts. It will be interesting to see how his ADP climbs or falls as the spring progresses.
Doug
schwanks.blogspot.com

Schwks

Post by Schwks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:44 pm

As an aside, thanks to my slow draft mates who I believe became familiar with my PT schedule, and reacted with patience and graciousness.
schwanks.blogspot.com