Countdown to the NFBC

Navel Lint

Re: Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:02 pm

Glenneration X wrote:Only 36 Days 'til this year's live drafts for the NFBC.

[/img]

I still remember this..... For whatever reason (I don't remember if he ever explained it), Pete Rose wore his batting practice "jersey" during the game. It was around 1980 and batting practice jerseys were just starting to be worn by the players prior to games. I don't know if it was a promotion gimmick or if Pete just forgot his "gamer". But I'll always remember thinking how weird it looked that Pete was just wearing a t-shirt during the game.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:39 am

35 Days 'til we determine what players will be the source of our steals for our live draft and auction NFBC teams. Since the testing for PED's, power in general has been trending down, while the amount of SB's we need to reach the magic 80% mark has been steadily trending upward. We need more SB's than ever to get there.

Should we spend a first round pick or a huge sum at the auction table on an all-around superstar sure thing Hall of Famer who'll give us our steals, but be an asset across the board in every category as well.....

Or should we focus on power early while hoping to make up the shortfall in SB's later by looking for a HOF or MVP level Judy in the later rounds.....

Personally, I prefer spending a little more on the all-around type player, even if some feel the player falls just short of immortality....

(One for you Gates. ;))

I'd also like to say Goodbye to one of the greatest ever to play the position whose job it was to keep these other players from doing what they wanted on the basepaths. I'll never forget the day I heard my Mets had traded for Gary Carter. I was in my freshman year of college at the time and hadn't heard any rumors that something like this was in the works. I couldn't believe it. We were getting a player who at the time was considered one of the two or three best in the game. We were getting Gary Carter. The Mets had never had a player like that in its history at the time, an MVP level power hitter in his prime. They had already started their turnaround the year before behind the great play and leadership of Keith Hernandez and the limitless potential of Darryl Strawberry and Doc Gooden, but Carter brought the last piece to the puzzle. He started his Mets career with style, hitting a walk off home run in his first game. The next year, the Mets were champions of the baseball world. I was tremendously disappointed years later when the HOF committee decided to go against Carter's wishes and cast his bust in not a Mets cap, but that of the Montreal Expos. Still, whether part of the Expos or the Mets, Gary Carter brought a love to the game that combined with his greatness, made him one of the best of his day and immortal in baseball history. Goodbye Kid, Rest in Peace.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:31 am

34 Days 'til we determine who will be the aces of our live NFBC teams and where we will take them. Some old schoolers believe that the best usage of our earliest draft picks or the bulk of our auction money should be dedicated towards hitting. However, as Shawn pointed out in his new and great website, SportsDraftDaily.com, there's been an adjustment in draft strategy towards pitching over the last several years which has seen the best of the aces being pushed higher and higher up the draft boards. In fact, in Greg's Early Draft Results: Top 6 Rounds thread, I've seen three different SP's make it to the first round of various drafts, Clayton Kershaw, Justin Verlander, and Roy Halladay.

I personally have never taken a pitcher in the first round in any draft in my lifetime. However before 2010, I had never taken one as early as the 2nd. Now that's changed. Still, I don't think I'd be able to commit to a pitcher in the 1st. Your earliest rounds should be the players you can count on to provide the production you are paying for and to stay healthy enough to guarantee it. I still believe that pitchers are the least reliable to guarantee that production, both due to the increased risk of season long injury or the inconsistent year to year production both inherent in the nature of the position.

Because of that, if I were forced to take a pitcher in the first, I wonder now if I'd be willing to risk that pick on either Kershaw or Verlander. As ridiculous as Kershaw was last year and as high as his ceiling is, last year was his first dominant one. We've all seen way too many pitchers throw that one dominant season, just to never reach those levels again, no matter the skills. Verlander is in his prime and is a beast. How many SP's can get any pitch into triple digits on the speed gun, let alone in the 9th inning? However, Verlander's career has been littered with outstanding seasons followed by seasons not quite so outstanding.

Again, I look to my 1st round pick to be THE Foundation Block of my fantasy hopes. Therefore, if I ever were going to draft a pitcher there, I'd want that pitcher to be a virtual lock to return the production I am paying for and a virtual lock to stay healthy. There's only been one pitcher that has produced at that level every season for nearly the last half decade. Therefore, despite the seeds of doubt sowed by a fellow drafter that has my ultimate respect who will remain nameless (right Doughy ;) ) that a corner may have been turned into the downward trend of his career track making a possibility of busting more likely and the fact that he pitches for the hated and despicable Phils, I believe the only pitcher I would consider in the first round is......

Still, first round? Not happening for me. However, I do realize I need to make sure I get my ace. Tough to chase after the $100K carrot without some serious mound help.

And since it's been awhile.....

Your obligatory boob pick.

On one side she's a fan of the hated Phils, :( but on the other a fan of Bugs Bunny. :D Well, noone's perfect.

And a return visit from our fave Phillies pitcher, this time laying down a bunt. You still sure you want the DH in the NL? ;)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:06 am

Only 33 Days 'til our live NFBC drafts and auctions.....

Where we'll be looking to create our All-Star rosters.....

And then set our All-Star lineups.....

In the hopes of creating those All-Star memories that will last a lifetime.....

ImageImage

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:11 am

Only 32 Days 'til the NFBC.

Base-ball (and the NFBC) been berry, berry good to me.

For the 1000 Slow Draft, I'm banking on my first pick being berry, berry good to me as well. As requested by Matt, and okayed by Max and Greg, I'll be announcing that pick, the first overall draft choice for the 1000 Slow, right here.

Though there isn't a consensus top pick this season, there are a handful of solid choices, any that would be a great foundation block to start building a fantasy baseball roster. Although those I am passing on may have slightly higher ceilings because of the increased production that can be expected across all five offensive categories, the eligibility my choice will provide at a scarce position like 3B along with providing in my opinion the highest production "floor" has made my decision. So without further ado, the first pick in the 2012 1000 Slow will be.......

Don M

Post by Don M » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:14 am

when will we be ale to use NFBC for mock drafts?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:19 am

Glenneration X wrote:Only 32 Days 'til the NFBC.

Base-ball (and the NFBC) been berry, berry good to me.

For the 1000 Slow Draft, I'm banking on my first pick being berry, berry good to me as well. As requested by Matt, and okayed by Max and Greg, I'll be announcing that pick, the first overall draft choice for the 1000 Slow, right here.

Though there isn't a consensus top pick this season, there are a handful of solid choices, any that would be a great foundation block to start building a fantasy baseball roster. Although those I am passing on may have slightly higher ceilings because of the increased production that can be expected across all five offensive categories, the eligibility my choice will provide at a scarce position like 3B along with providing in my opinion the highest production "floor" has made my decision. So without further ado, the first pick in the 2012 1000 Slow will be.......

Sorry Guys, I apologize. I mistakenly grabbed the David Wright photo out of the picture folder I had set up for "next year's" top overall pick. ;)

However, for this year, the top pick will be another soon to be 3B......

Let the draft begin. :D

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:24 am

Only 31 Days 'til my favorite fantasy contest for my favorite fantasy sport.

Fantasy football's participation numbers have long surpassed that of fantasy baseball. Professional football's attendance, ratings, and advertising fees have long surpassed that of MLB as well. Still, there's little doubt in my mind what remains America's pastime. No sport has threaded its way into the fabric of America's history and culture as has baseball. If you don't believe me, even the White House agrees. On the day after President's Day I ask you, how many times has our highest office took part in football's opening coin toss? I would tell you twice, only once in person. Baseball's ceremonial first pitch? From Taft to Obama and every president in between, each has taken part either at baseball's Opening Day, its All-Star game, its World Series.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:43 am

Only 30 Days left ''til the 2012 NFBC live drafts and auctions. I'm sure once again Jeff Dobies will be there with his sons, Ken Magner will be there with his son, Scott Newman will be there with his daughter, and many other great players and more importantly great fathers will be there with their kids.

Maybe the greatest thing about baseball is how it's shared from one generation to the next. I've written earlier about baseball memories with my father, I've written earlier about baseball memories with my son. These are some of the best memories I have. The NFBC is a great contest. It's also another baseball related avenue to create and share experiences and memories with my family.

I've introduced my father to the NFBC/NFFC. We talk about it all the time. The drafts, the players we like, the message boards, we even shared and co-drafted an NFFC Auction team last year. Some day, I'd like to follow in the footsteps of Jeff, Ken, Scott, Mike Sanda in the NFFC, and many others I've met or heard of and introduce my son, and maybe even my girls too, to this great hobby and great contest.

My wife actually bought these shirts for my son and I for our very first Father's Day BBQ/picnic together a few years back. He's obviously outgrown his. I still have mine. I always will.

Sack

Post by Sack » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:18 am

My favorite of all of your Countdowns Glenn. So true, don't forget your daughters. One of my best experiences
Took place at an NFFC draft when I had my daughter sit in and simply cross off names. She stopped me from calling out Deion Branch, who had been previously taken. This was a big moment for her and she wore a smile the rest of the day.

I've gotten a big thrill as well as the years have gone by when opponents within our drafts will come over and say a nice word about the work of my son, Kenny. Kevin Schiller and Dallas Jones are two names that come to mind from past drafts and Eddie Gillis got a big charge out of the way my boy handled his job of "sticker" guy in the Atlantic City drafts from two
Seasons ago. Your time will come Glenn. If anybody is on the fence about sharing this experience with a son/daughter
My advice is to give it a try. You will make lifetime memory. Glenn, by the time your son is ready it is even possible the METS won't even be in "rebuilding" mode! ;)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Ken, the NFBC 2020. You can count on the entire Lowy clan being in attendance (in our Seaver jerseys). :D

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Glen,

I look forward to the Farmingville Family Feud NFBC Style!! :-)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:50 pm

ALL-IN JD wrote:Glen,

I look forward to the Farmingville Family Feud NFBC Style!! :-)
Looking forward to it as well my friend. That is as long as the feud is strictly limited to the NFBC and nothing along the lines of boxing, wrestling, or MMA. :shock: The Dobies may have a slight size advantage on the Lowy clan there!! ;)

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Deal!!

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Great One Glenn! I too look forward to introducing my son to this amazing game we all love so much! :D
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Winston's Empire wrote:Great One Glenn! I too look forward to introducing my son to this amazing game we all love so much! :D
No doubt Buddy. By the way, the Ogden vs Lowy clan MMA match is one I'd feel a little bit better about. ;) :D

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:02 am

Glenneration X wrote:
Winston's Empire wrote:Great One Glenn! I too look forward to introducing my son to this amazing game we all love so much! :D
No doubt Buddy. By the way, the Ogden vs Lowy clan MMA match is one I'd feel a little bit better about. ;) :D

Now thats some good stuff!!! :D
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:34 am

With spring training camps having opened earlier this week, there's only 29 Days 'til we start our live drafts and auctions. I can not wait.

I suppose until then, we can keep ourselves busy with spring training news, continued prep, slow drafts, satellites, the Online Championships, and of course our message boards. I truly enjoy these boards and they've become one of the biggest reasons I've become a loyal member of this contest and this community. Whether its a serious rules or IT discussion or just harmless trash talk with one of my Buds like Magner, Max, Massotto, Nelson, or Jupinka, Jupinka, Jupinka :roll: :D , whether it's helping celebrate the accomplishments of our greatest players or just providing helpful tips to our newest, whether its registering for a draft as Greg announces "One Spot Left" or reading another drafter's review of his own draft, whether its reading who's coming to the live drafts or just posting a picture of how many days we have to wait until they're here, these boards add to my day just about every day.

I'd say the greatest thing about these boards is how they've allowed us to learn more about those who run these contests and those we play against. Through short personal stories and snippets of our day to day or life history or just through everyday conversation on these boards, we've gotten the chance to know each other, whether we've ever met or not. Until I started participating on these boards, I never knew that you could feel like friends with someone you've never met, let alone with so many. For all the new players in our contest, I'd recommend also becoming a member of these boards. It definately enhances the experience.

Just 29 Days 'til the live drafts and auctions. Until then, maybe we can get another episode of.......

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:29 am

Glenneration X wrote: Image
As if anybody needs yet another reason to become a Cubs Fan!!! ;)
Cubs Fan Since 1987

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Message received, Glenn :D
I've got a couple of ideas and will try to beat the Main drafts with another episode.

The Boards have changed.
Already, I am missing Mark trying to hype players that shouldn't be hyped.
Walla Walla would have quit twice by now and apologized three times.
I embraced the devilnishness that gave Greg grey hairs in his mustache!

The Boards today are a more smarter Boards.
The contributions are less, but what there is, is usually very sharp.
There is less trash talking, less back and forth arguments, and overall, less content.

While some rolled eyes at chest thumping or arguing through the Boards, most found it entertaining.
What we need is newcomers. Newcomers, that perhaps have a different view on how to go about winning this great contest.
Lord knows there's been some wild strategies used in some of our slow drafts.
This is the place to explain the strategy in taking four catchers and closers in the first 14 rounds.

Now, see what you did, Glenn?
This was supposed to be a short note saying I'm gathering ideas for a Fantasy Camp and it becomes a full-blown post :D

Keep up the good work with the Countdown, Buddy.
Truly, great stuff....and of course, only available on these Boards :D
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Glenn- this has been fun to follow.... Great pictures, great Banter, great stories and tons of insight too.... I figured out you might be from Farmingville; I grew up and lived in Sayville most of my life (30 some years) until I transplanted out to California some 15 years ago. In 2013 hopefully I can plan to meet you and all the East coasters at the drafts back there. I figured you are a Mets Fan too. I was too growing up, and remember many times sneaking into Shea at like 7am when my father would drop me and my friends off on his way to work in Forest Hills for day games. I switched to being a diehard Yankee Fan in the early 90's and actually was getting back there for about 10 games a year up until 2 years ago, when I finally decided enough with the travel and 20 game season ticket plan. Now it’s 2-3 times during the season, plus all the A's games when they are here. A highlight for me was going to last Game at the Old Yankee Stadium and the first game the following season at the new Yankee Stadium. A lowlight was sitting about behind the Red Sox dugout at Game 7 in the 2004 ALCS and watching them destroy the Yankees 10-3, scoring 6 in the first 2 innings. There has only been 2 games where I knew it was over in the first inning, that being one, and another against the A's in a elimination LDS Game 5 here in Oakland, when my son (17 at the time), standing about 15 feet away from Gil Heredia who was warming up in the bullpen, yells over to me "Hey Dad, I throw Harder than this guy- and he did at right around 90-92) and Heredia Stops his warm-up and looks at my son with this pissed off look. Me seeing that, yell back to my son, "Yeah you do and he won't make it out of the first inning in about 15 minutes". I had been watching him warm up too and when I say, he had nothing in the bullpen, I mean he had nothing. A 1/2 hour later he was gone after 1/3 of an inning with Yankees scoring 6 in the first on their way to a series clinching win.
I sure do miss Long Island and New York and no offense to any other fans out there, but it is one happening sports town, from the papers, to talk radio, to the games, to the fans and in all sports. Get in a taxi and all they talk about is that day’s game.

Good Luck to you in all your events this season!!

Mike
CIMG0037 (Large).JPG
CIMG0037 (Large).JPG (117.81 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
CIMG0039 (Large).JPG
CIMG0039 (Large).JPG (125.88 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
Attachments
CIMG0080 (Large).JPG
CIMG0080 (Large).JPG (71.97 KiB) Viewed 5126 times

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Max, that may be the only picture of someone wearing Cubbies gear who's won anything in the last century. :P

Doughy, I haven't been around these parts as long as you, but yeah it's a bit tamer than when I first arrived on the scene in '09. Gekko and Walla are quieter, Lance has also moved on, the Snake's been banned for life...again, and you don't hear as much from a few others as well. We have added Massotto though and he may have single-handedly brought in enough ego to make up for all else that is missing. :lol:
And Doughy, if you think there's no trash talk left, you obviously weren't reading the MtM thread. Come visit the 1000 Slow Draft room around midnight when everyone's getting tired and ornry. That'll bring you back to old times.

By the way, Max, Doughy, you two are an example of what I meant about making friends on these boards without ever meeting in person. Great guys, both of you, and two of the best reasons for visiting these boards.

Mike, I'm happy you're enjoying the thread and I look forward to meeting you next year as well. It'll be great to meet a fellow Long Islander, even if a former one, and even if a dreaded Yankees fan. ;)

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:07 am

Glenneration X wrote:Max, that may be the only picture of someone wearing Cubbies gear who's won anything in the last century. :P

By the way, Max, Doughy, you two are an example of what I meant about making friends on these boards without ever meeting in person. Great guys, both of you, and two of the best reasons for visiting these boards.
First, Ronald Reagan probably would have said he was the last living president that was alive the last time the Cubs won the World Series! His jokes about himself were the best and as a Cubs fan I need a laugh once in a while! :D

Second, you too Pal! I very much look forward to your Countdown thread and to all of Dough's writings, when I remember to get over to his new spot on these boards! These boards are made up of a lot of great guys and MtM :lol: Its a place to talk about baseball, a little trash, a bit about life and allows me the chance to convince people that wearing a Cubs hat is the pinnacle of ones life ;)

Here is my son Winston breaking in his first Cubs Hat last summer... Life is good friends! :D

Cubs Fan Since 1987

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:10 am

Great looking kid Max....and what a smile! You must be showing Winston highlights of the 1908 World Series there. :)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:31 am

Only 28 Days 'til the live NFBC drafts and auctions and for us to decide how the off-season movement of some of the biggest stars in the game and their changing of jerseys will affect our draft boards.

Many of these moves affect not only the value of the stars who switched teams themselves, but the value of both their former and new teammates as well.

Some think Braun's value takes a hit this year even with yesterday's great news of his innocence in the PED scandal now that Fielder's not going to be protecting him in the batting order.
And what of Miguel Cabrera? He's been regularly going #1 overall since the signing with both Fielder now figured to bat behind him and with his soon to be added 3B eligibility.

Mark Trumbo went from a player many looked to take another step forward this year to one who may not have a position with Pujols coming aboard.
And what of Abreu? He's almost undraftable at this point unless recent rumors of a trade come to fruition.

We all know of the Hanley saga. One day we hear he hasn't happily accepted his new position at 3B necessitated by the Reyes signing. The next day, we hear that he's embracing it. :roll: I guess we'll see how that all plays out.
And what of my Mets???? :? :cry: :? Need I say more?

And in the biggest question of the off-season. Even though poor San Diego fans lost Mat Latos, do they at least get to keep.....

Not so bad a deal if she wasn't a throw-in. :)