Give up?

rockitsauce

Give up?

Post by rockitsauce » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:58 am

I check the overall standings to see how my brother's teams are doing. His NY team is really good, his AC, not so much. There was a guy in his AC lge who drummed up alot of talk w/ his draft. The poor soul (obviously never competed in nfbc before) took (if I recall correctly) Kershaw, Latos, Valverde w/ his first 3 pks.

I assumed this guy has got to be dead last, but to my surprise a well known nfbc vet sits there - Chest Rockwell. I don't bring this up to embarrass the man, rather I was astonished to see that it appears ol Kent has given up. 2 DL'ed catchers in his active lineup (Posey/Snyder), along w/ pitchers like Clay Bucholz & minor lges Matusz. He also has Ryan Zimm on his bench :confused:

Perhaps spending $1400 on a team for him is like $14 for me, but I don't get it. Esp considering the fuss he created over Rich Gannon's team last yr. You remember, pitching a hissy fit b/c Gannon's lineup wasn't being set as one would expect. You know, DL'ed players in his active lineup and whatnot.

There is a word for this, hang on it'll come to me.....oh yes, HYPOCRITE.
Always be closing.

Gekko

Give up?

Post by Gekko » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Originally posted by rockitsauce:

it appears ol Kent has given up. say it ain't so Kent...

Chest Rockwell

Give up?

Post by Chest Rockwell » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:28 pm

I check the overall standings to see how my brother's teams are doing. His NY team is really good, his AC, not so much. There was a guy in his AC lge who drummed up alot of talk w/ his draft. The poor soul (obviously never competed in nfbc before) took (if I recall correctly) Kershaw, Latos, Valverde w/ his first 3 pks.

I assumed this guy has got to be dead last, but to my surprise a well known nfbc vet sits there - Chest Rockwell. I don't bring this up to embarrass the man, rather I was astonished to see that it appears ol Kent has given up. 2 DL'ed catchers in his active lineup (Posey/Snyder), along w/ pitchers like Clay Bucholz & minor lges Matusz. He also has Ryan Zimm on his bench :confused:

Perhaps spending $1400 on a team for him is like $14 for me, but I don't get it. Esp considering the fuss he created over Rich Gannon's team last yr. You remember, pitching a hissy fit b/c Gannon's lineup wasn't being set as one would expect. You know, DL'ed players in his active lineup and whatnot.

There is a word for this, hang on it'll come to me.....oh yes, HYPOCRITE. You my friend are a complete moron. Do you ever think about the fact that life might have gotten in the way. My closest nfbc friends do not even know. Let's just say I will be attending a funeral tomorrow and it was not something that came on quickly. The rest is none of your business. I have 2 teams and I decided when one fell out of contention to let it sit. Yes I still come on the boards every once in a while, yes I still check my auction team. It is a sanity check from a pretty tough year.

Please I beg you to walk up to me in person. I swear as God as my witness I will beat the living sh!t out of your uneducated white trash face. As I finish up with you I will whisper that is for your off color comment about my angel of a wife Greg save me the tongue lashing. I am done here for a long while.

Cobb

Give up?

Post by Cobb » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:16 pm

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

quote:Originally posted by rockitsauce:

There is a word for this, hang on it'll come to me.....oh yes, HYPOCRITE. You my friend are a complete moron. Do you ever think about the fact that life might have gotten in the way. My closest nfbc friends do not even know. Let's just say I will be attending a funeral tomorrow and it was not something that came on quickly. The rest is none of your business. I have 2 teams and I decided when one fell out of contention to let it sit. Yes I still come on the boards every once in a while, yes I still check my auction team. It is a sanity check from a pretty tough year.

Please I beg you to walk up to me in person. I swear as God as my witness I will beat the living sh!t out of your uneducated white trash face. As I finish up with you I will whisper that is for your off color comment about my angel of a wife Greg save me the tongue lashing. I am done here for a long while.
[/QUOTE]Wow Kent, you cannot take a little criticism can you? You would call out somebody for not setting a lineup too and have so in the past.

You too have no idea who you are describing as Rockit is neither white trash, nor uneducated...but rather just white with a college degree.

You are not the only person entitled to an opinion on the message board. You bash a lot of people on here over the silliest things, such as their grammar, etc.

I remember the Gannon thing, you were mad that it was a publicity stunt and he wasn't setting his lineup, had dl'd guys in his active lineup....now you are going to attack somebody for calling you out on it...and attack him personally?

Is it fair to the rest of your leaguemates to not set a lineup? Fair to the overall contest? Where is the integrity that you preach so much?

We all have issues in life, so that is understandable. But you assume that you're the only one...you have no idea all of the things that the guy you are threatening to knock out has had to overcome, the life losses he's had, and the pure act of unselfishness he gave to another person to extend a life.

I also find it a little disgraceful that you would turn a question of not setting your lineup into a condemnation of your loss of which nobody knew of...not to mention personally threat him. Who's acting like white trash?
"My reputation precedes me. Otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments." - Harry Crumb

rockitsauce

Give up?

Post by rockitsauce » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:28 pm

there's an old phrase that applies here: truth hurts.

You think you're the only person in the entire nfbc who has problems to deal w/? I expect that type of response from a self centered jerk like you. You had no problem ripping Ryan E. about the integrity of the league, etc w/ regard to Gannon's lineup, but now you do the same goddamn thing and all of a sudden, "I had to go to a funeral".

How long has Posey been out? How long has Zimm been back? You go to a funeral a day? Save you're BS excuses, weak. Maybe I'm different, but even the crappiest teams I have (and I've had plenty) I still give it my best. I use my FAAB $, I set my lineup in order to win b/c I owe it to my leaguemates FOR THE INTEGRITY OF THE LEAGUE.

Now you want to threaten me w/ violence b/c I called you out on what a hypocrite you are? I had already apologized for my part in our previous disagreements. Now, there is nothing for me to apologize for.

W/ god/allah/buddah/santy claus/easter bunny/etc etc etc as my witnesses I swear I don't give a sh!t about you're threats. You think I've never dealt w/ bullies like you before?

Why don't you tell us all about the lavish party you had as a 10 yr old again Richie Rich?
Always be closing.

Ryan C

Give up?

Post by Ryan C » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:01 pm

WOW!! :eek:

All I can say is I can't wait for the next edition of Fantasy Camp!!! ;)
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

Paul Gromek

Give up?

Post by Paul Gromek » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:18 pm

:eek:

Gekko

Give up?

Post by Gekko » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 pm

all of us have to deal with life. i understand that. if someone didn't have time to run their teams due to a significant change in their life, i would understand.

however, when someone has time to run one of their teams (but not another), has time to post on the message boards, how much more effort does it take to submit a starting lineup or make a couple of faab bids? i think us as players would prefer someone spend their limited time running their team to ensure league and overall integrity rather than using their limited time to post on the MB.

Edwards Kings

Give up?

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:35 pm

Nice. Get an adverse reaction on what was probably a light hearted dig, find out a guy is hurting, then pile on.

Real nice. Kent has never been a phone it in type, has always backed up his posts with all-in competitive spirit, so when something happens that is different, one might consider asking (privately perhaps) if everything is ok.

How about "Sorry for your loss, we can discuss the rest later!"
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Give up?

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm a lunatic when it comes to this hobby, have always been. I'm passionate about it and love it. When my teams are in last, I can't help but work to get them to 2nd to last, then 3rd to last, etc. That's just me, can't help myself. However that's not everyone, nor do I expect it to be.

I joined a long debate with KJ and a few other football guys a couple years back where the majority of those posting in that thread wanted to skewer, tar, then feather anyone who neglected to put in a lineup or fill an empty spot any particular week. Then they would get around to the real punishment. :eek: They felt every player owed it to the competitive balance of the league to perform that "civic" duty above and beyond all other responsibilities. I believe an example used was someone who was at the hospital while their wife was ready to give birth. Those who felt lineups should be set at all costs felt that there were seven days in that week to set the lineup, noone goes through labor that long. :D I felt and still do feel that was unfair, and even moreso, unrealistic.

Not everyone is going to place the same priority on this hobby as others. In addition, those who do place this hobby in high priority are not going to do so at every point of their lives. There are other issues that will take precedence, and rightfully so. Even for a lunatic like myself, family, friends, work, and many other issues can and have had me place this hobby on the back burner and will do so again in the future.

I believe everyone should concentrate on your own teams and allow others to do the same. As long as collusion or malicious disregard aren't factors, I believe everyone has a right to treat their own teams as they so please.

All that said, Kent sorry about your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

The Mighty Men

Give up?

Post by The Mighty Men » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:15 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

Nice. Get an adverse reaction on what was probably a light hearted dig, find out a guy is hurting, then pile on.

Real nice. Kent has never been a phone it in type, has always backed up his posts with all-in competitive spirit, so when something happens that is different, one might consider asking (privately perhaps) if everything is ok.

How about "Sorry for your loss, we can discuss the rest later!" You might be right about all this. However, he had Posey in his lineup for goodness sakes. That is weeks of no change to his lineup.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

Dirt Dogs

Give up?

Post by Dirt Dogs » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:01 am

The non setting lineup. I actually find this argument somewhat interesting. So if a guy is behind you in RBI and has 3 DL players on his team you benefit!!! But if you need him to gain on another player your losing. But isnt that just the same as him building a competitive lineup. Who really wins/loses from a team having players starting on the DL. It's all numbers so no matter how you look at it someone is winning and someone is losing whether there are DL guys starting or non DL guys starting.
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

Greg Ambrosius

Give up?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 am

A debate about all owners doing all they can to field competitive teams throughout the season is a worthy discussion, but let's keep it to that subject and away from personal issues. That's what Personal Messages are for. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Scott Boras

Give up?

Post by Scott Boras » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:45 am

How about "Sorry for your loss, we can discuss the rest later!" Wayne, I really don't want to respond to this and I commend you for taking the high road here, but I feel compelled to speak up when things aren't right, regardless how uncomfortable it may be.

From all accounts those who know Chest swear up and down he's a GREAT guy. I have no reason to doubt this. However, he's one of the top 2 if not THE most outspoken critic on these message boards. Over the years I've watched him critique dozens for anything and everything- grammar, intelligence, player analysis, strategy, business practices, integrity, and yes, even class. He appears to pride himself on being some sort of message board guardian/enforcer keeping "yahoo kid crap" away from the boards. To those who don't know him personally and can't see his face, hear his tone, etc, he just comes across as a bully. This has been implied numerous times and even parodied in fantasy camp. Chest knows this perception and seems to embrace it rather than alter it. When you are as aggressive in your posts as Chest has been, you make yourself vulnerable to the type of situation he finds himself in now.

I wish nothing but the best for Chest in this difficult time, but his actions have been hypocritical regardless of circumstance. If you're going to be an outspoken "enforcer," don't be a hypocrite when it's your turn to back it up. Changing your team name to something about searching for an alias (assumably because of poor performance) and then are seen posting on the message boards suggests you gave up on this team more so than never having 5 minutes to manage it, especially if you chose to manage another. Defending yourself with threats of physical violence is inexcusable. When people respond in this manner it's almost always because they're wrong and not ready to admit it. If the tables were turned due to an owner giving up or threatening violence, Chest would be the first one throwing stones.

It's time to belly up to the bar, manage your team like the other 300+ owners, and apologize for/cease the threats OR tone down the future rhetoric and realize you're not right as often as you think and there's a lot of gray area out there. The message boards need a lot of different opinions and posts but they do not need a bully.

Scott Boras

Give up?

Post by Scott Boras » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:07 am

Originally posted by Dirt Dogs:

The non setting lineup. I actually find this argument somewhat interesting. So if a guy is behind you in RBI and has 3 DL players on his team you benefit!!! But if you need him to gain on another player your losing. But isnt that just the same as him building a competitive lineup. Who really wins/loses from a team having players starting on the DL. It's all numbers so no matter how you look at it someone is winning and someone is losing whether there are DL guys starting or non DL guys starting. The issue is more from an overall perspective. IF an owner gives up, the teams in that league are now competing against 13 teams instead of 14 like the vast majority of leagues. Obviously this could allow an advantage in FAAB that affects the overall. Over the years I've been surprised numerous times by being the winner or the runner up bid when I felt I had no chance to win. Being an NFBC vet with a solid track record of player analysis, Chest's absence could be a major benefit to his 14 leaguemates.

Not to mention many pay the premium to play in the NFBC to avoid the dead team issue associated with free ESPN leagues. While the competition within the league may wash out even, we owe it to those in the league to compete until the end.

Scott Boras

Give up?

Post by Scott Boras » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:11 am

I don't give a sh!t about you're threats. you're = you are. i believe "you're" looking for "your."

(just trying to add a little levity here)

rockitsauce

Give up?

Post by rockitsauce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:04 am

How about "Sorry for your loss, we can discuss the rest later!" Really Wayne? "light hearted dig", you're (is that correct Scott ;) ) too smart to believe that. I take Kent at his word when he says he wants to whisper in my ear (although I don't get down like that ).

A friend of my sent me a pm letting me know he had my back, but did not want to get involved here since he did not have all the facts. He is a wise man. Since you obviously don't have all the facts either you'd have been better off doing the same. I knew some would attack me or defend his ridiculous remarks b/c either they dislike me for whatever reason or are just buddies w/ him.

Here are some things you might have wanted to be aware of before chiming in. There is no chance of me sending Kent a pm. He threatened me w/ violence before in a nasty pm filled w/ insults years ago, then blocked me from ever sending future pm's...you know get the last word in stuff. This guy has anger issues.

As I've already disclosed, in an honest attempt to bury the hatchet I apologized for my past comments and truly had hopes that he & I could put the negative stuff behind us once and for all. He was every bit as negative towards me, but apparently he's not interested in making peace.

Fair enough, but then don't expect me to not call out a hypocrite, esp a bullying big mouth one when I see it. Scott was dead on when he said a person who is wrong, yet responds w/ physical violence just doesn't want to admit that they are wrong. Typical behavior of a bully.
Always be closing.

KJ Duke

Give up?

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:35 am

Some things no doubt are way more important than running a team, but for future reference if someone decides they no longer can manage their team they probably have friends that could try to keep the team competitive for the sake of league integrity. And if not, reaching out to the MB community I'm sure someone could be found quickly who would put in lineups and make bids to replace injured players.

In a single league it doesn't matter as much, but you don't want to see this in an overall competition.

Edwards Kings

Give up?

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:37 am

[QUOTE]

Since you obviously don't have all the facts either you'd have been better off doing the same.

As I've already disclosed, in an honest attempt to bury the hatchet I apologized for my past comments and truly had hopes that he & I could put the negative stuff behind us once and for all.

Fair enough, but then don't expect me to not call out a hypocrite, esp a bullying big mouth one when I see it. Perhaps I don't have all the facts. It is a common problem on these boards for some people when they post. I doubt you would have chosen this time to call Kent out publicly had YOU all the facts. At least I hope not.

I also think that you might want to re-read your post if you think you have made "an honest attempt to bury the hatchet". If that were true, I doubt you would have considered this shout out.

Your vent at me is also misdirected and I will apologize for not making that point in my initial post clearer. Remembering your past issues with Kent, I was more concerned with the posts subsequent to Kent's admission of going through a very rough personal stretch. Those that started to "pile on" after that probably should have thought better. As Lincoln put it, the "Better angels of our nature".

My comments are not aimed at protecting or defending Kent. He is perfectly able to do that himself and better than most. Rather, my hope was to limit any further damage to the generally congenial nature of these boards.

Rockitsauce, I am done with this issue and I hope you are too.

Greg, if I have taken this one post too far, I will readily apologize for that too.

[ July 21, 2011, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Edwards Kings ]
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

rockitsauce

Give up?

Post by rockitsauce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:53 am

Perhaps I don't have all the facts. It is a common problem on these boards for some people when they post. I doubt you would have chosen this time to call Kent out publicly had YOU all the facts. At least I hope not.

I also think that you might want to re-read your post if you think you have made "an honest attempt to bury the hatchet". If that were true, I doubt you would have considered this shout out.

Your vent at me is also misdirected and I will apologize for not making that point in my initial post clearer. Remembering your past issues with Kent, I was more concerned with the posts subsequent to Kent's admission of going through a very rough personal stretch. Those that started to "pile on" after that probably should have thought better. As Lincoln put it, the "Better angels of our nature".

My comments are not aimed at protecting or defending Kent. He is perfectly able to do that himself and better than most. Rather, my hope was to limit any further damage to the generally congenial nature of these boards.

Rockitsauce, I am done with this issue and I hope you are too.

Greg, if I have taken this one post too far, I will readily apologize for that too. [/QB]Wayne, How am I "venting" at you? I am merely letting you (and Greg) know that b/c of Kent's own actions I cannot send him a pm. Besides he did what he did and didn't have a problem criticizing Rich Gannon (or whoever the hell was running that team) so he should be man enough to admit he was wrong.

W/ regard to burying the hatchet, I apologized long ago (have neither the time nor the inclination to go looking for that thread), he knew it yet decided against accepting my apology. Furthermore he has continued to insult me and make snide comments. Fair enough, thats his prerogative, however I won't allow someone to keep ripping me w/out a response.

I am sorry for his loss, but as Jack noted Posey has been out a long time. He has the time to come on here and spew his violent hateful rhetoric, but can't put in a $1 bid to p/u a replacement for Posey :confused:

I've never spoken w/ "Scott Boras" before but the man strikes me as someone I can respect b/c despite how "uncomfortable" something appears, he feels the need to defend what is right. You see it must be uncomfortable to defend a lil guppy like me over a whale like Kent. He's been competing here since the beginning I believe, whereas I started in 07. He spends $$$$$. I spend $. He has many friends here. I have a few.

I've been wrong about many things in my life. This is not one of them.

Dave
Always be closing.

The Mighty Men

Give up?

Post by The Mighty Men » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:04 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Some things no doubt are way more important than running a team, but for future reference if someone decides they no longer can manage their team they probably have friends that could try to keep the team competitive for the sake of league integrity. And if not, reaching out to the MB community I'm sure someone could be found quickly who would put in lineups and make bids to replace injured players.

In a single league it doesn't matter as much, but you don't want to see this in an overall competition. Exactly. This is what is important to most everyone.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

Cocktails and Dreams

Give up?

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:00 am

It is a little more important in football than baseball, due to the matchup component, but I feel it is my duty to try and field my team in the best manner possible. I do not every want to cost someone else a playoff spot or money in a baseball league due to my ineptitude in fielding a team. Running over 100 football teams a year, this is not fun most of the time, but if you commit to play then play if you possibly can. I realize there can be times when that becomes impossible however.

Paul Gromek

Give up?

Post by Paul Gromek » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:21 pm

It looks like the 14th place team in that same league has packed it in too. He has 3 DL guys in the lineup and Mauer and Sandoval on the bench.

It's disappointing to see this in the NFBC.

Ando

Give up?

Post by Ando » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:53 pm

It was also disappointing to see a URL to a twitter link that had all of the Las Vegas Weekend 1 boards on this Message Board within 9 hours of the completion of the draft. FYI, I am in LV1, Weekend 1.

Money

Member # 65157

posted March 23, 2011 07:45 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the cat. is out. of the bag.

Paul Gromek

Member # 64823

Rate Member posted March 20, 2011 00:21

FYI, all the Vegas draft boards are up

http://twitter.com/#!/thenfbc

So who's the rocket scientist that posted all of the Vegas boards? I posted my draft because I thought the NFBC was doing it. It certainly appeared that way via the link.

It won't affect me because I hate my team and will draft from a totally different position this weekend.

What it does do is give the guys who are already so very very good at this a game a chance to analyze every detail. They will find the weaknesses in the drafts the 99% of us cannot see. Plus they have the time to do it.

This is borderline malicious. Can't see how it could be an honest mistake as it took a concentrated effort to take pictures and post them without other owners consent.

To the NFBC, sorry if this sounds negative, I simply felt it needed to be stated.

--------------------

Joe

Posts: 394 | From: Fullerton, California | Registered: Feb 2010 | IP: Logged
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

rkulaski

Give up?

Post by rkulaski » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Scott Boras' post page 1 hits the nail on the head. Can't be judgmental about how other run their teams in the past and then not expect judgement in return when you do the same down the road, no matter what the reason.

Not sure there is a solution to those owners who stop running their teams in the main. Life unfortunately will happen to some of those 390 or so teams every year. I think those of us who enter the competition know this going in.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN