Mike Minor

rockitsauce

Mike Minor

Post by rockitsauce » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:

hell, this thread might push me enough to contact the Braves PR department tomorrow to get it right from the horse's mouth. a couple emails should do the trick. [/QB]Good Morning Atlanta Braves public relations, this is Sally how may I help you?

Yes, hi Sally...my name is Gordon Gekko and I want some answers as to when Mike Minor was OFFICIALLY called up.

Sally: I'm sorry sir, Gordon who?

GG: Gekko! From Gekko industries! Now dammit I want answers. Do you realize my fantasy baseball team could suffer serious financial implications as a result of this decision? Get me Frank Wren on the line!

Sally: Excuse me Mr. Gekko, did you say fantasy baseball?

GG: Yes, now this is a serious matter...

(*noticable click, Sally has hung up)

GG: Hello? Hello? Gawdddammit! I hate you Ryan Houston!!!!!

On a serious note, congrats to Mark for having TWO teams in the top 15 :eek: !
Always be closing.

Cobb

Mike Minor

Post by Cobb » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:05 pm

Originally posted by rockitsauce:

quote:Originally posted by Gekko:

hell, this thread might push me enough to contact the Braves PR department tomorrow to get it right from the horse's mouth. a couple emails should do the trick. Good Morning Atlanta Braves public relations, this is Sally how may I help you?

Yes, hi Sally...my name is Gordon Gekko and I want some answers as to when Mike Minor was OFFICIALLY called up.

GG: Gekko! From Gekko industries! Now dammit I want answers. Do you realize my fantasy baseball team could suffer serious financial implications as a result of this decision? Get me Frank Wren on the line!

On a serious note, congrats to Mark for having TWO teams in the top 15 :eek: ! [/QB][/QUOTE]Now this is funny...good one Rockit.
"My reputation precedes me. Otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments." - Harry Crumb

Gekko

Mike Minor

Post by Gekko » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Originally posted by rockitsauce:

quote:Originally posted by Gekko:

hell, this thread might push me enough to contact the Braves PR department tomorrow to get it right from the horse's mouth. a couple emails should do the trick. Good Morning Atlanta Braves public relations, this is Sally how may I help you?

On a serious note, congrats to Mark for having TWO teams in the top 15 :eek: ! [/QB][/QUOTE] for the phone call

for the kind words

Greg Ambrosius

Mike Minor

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:04 am

I have NO IDEA how Minor was still allowed to be picked up in LV 2, but obviously this move will not be allowed and the owner will be contacted about this. He has contacted me and his second bid does affect another owner who was awarded a player he will get for $4. This will be handled first thing this morning and Minor will be placed back in LV 2's free agent list just like he is in every other NFBC league.

Minor was removed across the board on Friday in all NFBC leagues, so I honestly don't know how he was allowed to remain in one league. Our player pools are then updated each day and he was definitely not added after that. I'll certainly ask today to see how this happened, but the bottom line is that this move will be removed, the owner will get his Conditional Bid for $4, he will get $19 back and the owner who thought he had Chacin for $1 will be contacted and given his Conditional Bid if he has one.

I rely on programming to work on all games we run. I'm at the mercy of programming to work. Honestly, I'm useless if the programming doesn't work. Right now I'm doing all I can to keep up with this and make sure every league is playing under the same guidelines, the guidelines we have set in our rules. It hasn't been easy, but as I've said Minor will be removed in LV 2 and will be available in all NFBC leagues for the first time with no exceptions.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Mike Minor

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:09 am

Originally posted by God Our Team Sucks:

For next year, I hope NFBC considers having all major and minor league players available in the pool. It would add to the challenge of roster management strategy, and would eliminate a lot of complaints. I know this is a popular thought now and I'm all for someone opening up a thread and discussing it. But let's just say we add all players on the 40-man roster to the NFBC free agent pool. Then we have an additional 450 players listed in free agency and the trouble of making sure we have the 40-man lists right. If you think we've erred on the player pool this way, imagine folks knowing the 40-man rosters better than us.

And if we open it to ALL minor-leaguers, which is what you'd have to do to not miss anyone, imagine the size of the free agent lists each week. FAAB lists would load extremely slow as we noticed before the Week 1 FAAB this year when we tried this.

But more importantly to me, I think it changes the competition for the worse. I've stated why I think it's important in a no-trade league to have top prospects like Mike Minor available to all once they are officially called up and it's because EVERYONE wants this top prospect. It's really the only way to improve your way down the stretch and managing your FAAB, analyzing your opponents' remaining FAAB, etc., down the stretch is a key part of the game. It's worked before when we've managed the player pools better.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Mike Minor

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:21 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

Kam Mickolio

Eric Young

John Ely

Derek Holland

Dan Hudson

James McDonald

Ross Detwiler

Mike Minor

Have I missed any? As John mentioned on Friday, it's quality control. We have programming issues that keep coming up and affecting the game that should be solved once and done with. The list above involves mostly minor-league pitchers who were allowed in the pool erroneously and we didn't fully solve it. I'm continually correcting these mistakes and as you clearly note it's frustrating for the players and impossible to take our player pools seriously.

That's why everyone is up in arms over Minor. Even if we did this right, nobody believes we did because we continue to err on the player pools and then Minor shows up in one league. How does that happen? I honestly don't know.

But it's all quality control. We just have things that happen once and then aren't rectified for good. The Sunday night lineup should NOT have extended to 10 pm ET last night. I think I know why it's done that the last two weeks, but it just shouldn't happen.

I could list more items than you could and I have to admit I'm very frustrated by it as well. I'm frustrated because the tools are there for both baseball and football to be very successful, but there's a hole here and a hole there that someone in charge HAS to close for good. I feel like we've handled each situation manually to keep the contest fair and equal, but each move shouldn't have to be made. The fixes should be final and the rest of the items closed before they ever happen again.

The emotions are real all around. But right now I have to get Minor out of LV 2 and contact those owners. Sorry again.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bama

Mike Minor

Post by Bama » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:22 am

Without having to read everybodies bitching and complaining i guess the ? i have is why was Minor taken out of the pool when he should have been left in. Who took him out and who told him too and why wasnt he added back. Left hand dont have a clue what the right hand's doing, this has been a constant at fanball, not sure i see that changing any time soon.

JohnP

Mike Minor

Post by JohnP » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:28 am

Greg - have you heard anything from Stats regarding Minor? Was he not on the Sunday feed? Was he not there because he was on the Saturday feed? I guess I am still dumbfounded as to why he wasn't included for this weekend's FAAB. I understand the delay that exists in official reporting but in this case both MLB and the Atlanta Braves had both ends of this transaction done on Saturday.

Also - I am having trouble sorting the "added" field. It sorts randomly - not ascending nor descending. Not a huge deal - just an fyi.

Chest Rockwell

Mike Minor

Post by Chest Rockwell » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:01 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:

Kam Mickolio

Eric Young

John Ely

Derek Holland

Dan Hudson

James McDonald

Ross Detwiler

Mike Minor

Have I missed any? As John mentioned on Friday, it's quality control. We have programming issues that keep coming up and affecting the game that should be solved once and done with. The list above involves mostly minor-league pitchers who were allowed in the pool erroneously and we didn't fully solve it. I'm continually correcting these mistakes and as you clearly note it's frustrating for the players and impossible to take our player pools seriously.

That's why everyone is up in arms over Minor. Even if we did this right, nobody believes we did because we continue to err on the player pools and then Minor shows up in one league. How does that happen? I honestly don't know.

But it's all quality control. We just have things that happen once and then aren't rectified for good. The Sunday night lineup should NOT have extended to 10 pm ET last night. I think I know why it's done that the last two weeks, but it just shouldn't happen.

I could list more items than you could and I have to admit I'm very frustrated by it as well. I'm frustrated because the tools are there for both baseball and football to be very successful, but there's a hole here and a hole there that someone in charge HAS to close for good. I feel like we've handled each situation manually to keep the contest fair and equal, but each move shouldn't have to be made. The fixes should be final and the rest of the items closed before they ever happen again.

The emotions are real all around. But right now I have to get Minor out of LV 2 and contact those owners. Sorry again.
[/QUOTE]Well said and everyone needs to keep in mind that you are very helpless here. Other areas of the business you can give a lot better guidance and oversight but as we all know programming is it's own animal and you are unfortunately at some very incompetent people's mercy. How Ryan E Houston still has a job is just baffling to me.

Bobby D

Mike Minor

Post by Bobby D » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:54 am

August and we are still hearing excuses and having issues. Very sad that fanball just can't seem to get it correct after 4-5 months.

bjoak

Mike Minor

Post by bjoak » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:12 am

Originally posted by ToddZ:

DISCLAIMER: I don't KNOW this to be the case. But I have served as SWAT (Secretary of Waivers and Transactions) for a few of the more prestigious industry leagues and the time-stamping of transactions has always been a HUGE point of contention.

Which is why they should be done away with. The exact time that a player is called up should be pretty arbitrary as far as the fantasy gamer is concerned, except that it has somehow wormed its way into the rules. Once a guy appears in a game, he should be available and not before (unless he was drafted).

A transaction exactly like this one could happen 30 times and 10 times he'd be available Saturday, 10 Sunday, and 10 on Monday. There is no consistency about that except that we're going by MLB's paperwork which is completely arbitrary in terms of our game. Honestly, I don't see any difference between Fanball arbitrarily deciding when to add a player and MLB's paperwork deciding. Either way it's inconsistent.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Hard Heads

Mike Minor

Post by Hard Heads » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:58 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

quote:Originally posted by ToddZ:

DISCLAIMER: I don't KNOW this to be the case. But I have served as SWAT (Secretary of Waivers and Transactions) for a few of the more prestigious industry leagues and the time-stamping of transactions has always been a HUGE point of contention.

Which is why they should be done away with. The exact time that a player is called up should be pretty arbitrary as far as the fantasy gamer is concerned, except that it has somehow wormed its way into the rules. Once a guy appears in a game, he should be available and not before (unless he was drafted).

A transaction exactly like this one could happen 30 times and 10 times he'd be available Saturday, 10 Sunday, and 10 on Monday. There is no consistency about that except that we're going by MLB's paperwork which is completely arbitrary in terms of our game. Honestly, I don't see any difference between Fanball arbitrarily deciding when to add a player and MLB's paperwork deciding. Either way it's inconsistent.
[/QUOTE]Very well put and I think that is where the main issue is. Fanball acts and speaks as if they have been consistent in their actions this year, but they have been anything but. Well said Brian!
Hard Heads

KJ Duke

Mike Minor

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:52 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

Once a guy appears in a game, he should be available and not before (unless he was drafted).

Good suggestion here, much easier to implement than opening faab to all minor lgrs.

headhunters

Mike Minor

Post by headhunters » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:03 am

i agree also. probably the best suggestion all year.

Quahogs

Mike Minor

Post by Quahogs » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:05 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by bjoak:

Once a guy appears in a game, he should be available and not before (unless he was drafted).

Good suggestion here, much easier to implement than opening faab to all minor lgrs.
[/QUOTE]Totally agree here.

DOUGHBOYS

Mike Minor

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:10 am

Takes all the guesswork out of the equation.

Great suggestion, Brian.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

NorCalAtlFan

Mike Minor

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:29 am

solid suggestion. which means it won't be implemented.

Quack & Willy

Mike Minor

Post by Quack & Willy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:40 am

so how would you handle players who make the Opening Day roster, but are undrafted rookies who have never appeared. Under that rule, they have not played a game yet?

Hard Heads

Mike Minor

Post by Hard Heads » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:46 am

Originally posted by Quack & Willy:

so how would you handle players who make the Opening Day roster, but are undrafted rookies who have never appeared. Under that rule, they have not played a game yet? I may be wrong but my understanding is anyone is elegible to be drafted. This suggestion only applies to players who weren't originally drafted and were just called up from the minors.
Hard Heads

Quack & Willy

Mike Minor

Post by Quack & Willy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:51 am

Originally posted by Hard Heads:

quote:Originally posted by Quack & Willy:

so how would you handle players who make the Opening Day roster, but are undrafted rookies who have never appeared. Under that rule, they have not played a game yet? I may be wrong but my understanding is anyone is elegible to be drafted. This suggestion only applies to players who weren't originally drafted and were just called up from the minors. [/QUOTE]I should have said how do you handle the 1st weekend of FAAB where the opening games have not been played. You are correct on the drafting part.

Greg Ambrosius

Mike Minor

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:09 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

[/QUOTE]Trust me, this is the easiest way to program this. I have no problem making this designation next year. Works for me. Just realize that pitchers will likely be called up on a Saturday or Sunday, like we saw this week and then not pitch until Monday or Tuesday and miss a week, but at least we'll know the situation more clearly.

[ August 09, 2010, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Mike Minor

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:58 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

[/QUOTE]Trust me, this is the easiest way to program this. I have no problem making this designation next year. Works for me. Just realize that pitchers will likely be called up on a Saturday or Sunday, like we saw this week and then not pitch until Monday or Tuesday and miss a week, but at least we'll know the situation more clearly.
[/QUOTE]Interesting idea. At least this would take the "time-stamp of transaction" aspect out of the equation. The time-stamp was what I hated about last year's disabled list rule. Too inexact and too dependent upon the whims of lazy baseball executives and luck.

By making it a game appearance requirement, all confusion and argument of whether a player is eligible or not would be negated. Did he play or not?

Of course, the negative is that it would take away the advantage of the more prepared, who should be rewarded for staying on top of transaction information and not just boxscores.

Unfortunately, that might have to be sacrificed to avoid this issue popping up over and over. I just can't deal with another "eligibility" debate.

Glenn

God Our Team Sucks

Mike Minor

Post by God Our Team Sucks » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Sorry to be the fly in the ointment, but I think there's a bunch of different ways to make it so all minor leaguers were available in the free agent pool without it slowing down the web. For example, there could be a drop down menu that only looks at MLB players, or AAA players, or AA players. And the programs could focus more on data pass through and less on graphics that don't add all that much.

Greg has the best game going, and I wouldn't consider playing anything else. I'm not too worried about the things that haven't gone right, and my teams have had to give up Mike Minor, Mike Leake, and Eric Young.

But my two cents is we'd be giving up a ton of strategy if a minor leaguer had to play a game in the majors to be waiver-eligible. I'd rather push the I/T guys to continue to improve the product.

rkulaski

Mike Minor

Post by rkulaski » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Originally posted by Quahogs:

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

[/QUOTE]Totally agree here.
[/QUOTE]I agree with the other agree-ers. I think I just ended up with a headache this weekend trying to figure out if Minor was going to be available or not. One day I see him, then the next he's gone.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Greg Ambrosius

Mike Minor

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Originally posted by God Our Team Sucks:

Sorry to be the fly in the ointment, but I think there's a bunch of different ways to make it so all minor leaguers were available in the free agent pool without it slowing down the web. For example, there could be a drop down menu that only looks at MLB players, or AAA players, or AA players. And the programs could focus more on data pass through and less on graphics that don't add all that much.

Greg has the best game going, and I wouldn't consider playing anything else. I'm not too worried about the things that haven't gone right, and my teams have had to give up Mike Minor, Mike Leake, and Eric Young.

But my two cents is we'd be giving up a ton of strategy if a minor leaguer had to play a game in the majors to be waiver-eligible. I'd rather push the I/T guys to continue to improve the product. Eric does make a point that the one downfall of waiting for a minor-leaguer to first play before being eligible is the dreaded callup on Sunday or the weekend for the next series. It might eliminate a top prospect from being eligible for a week.

Whatever the designation we continue to use, we have to make this easier for all to see and get it programmed so the player pool is solid for 2011 and beyond.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius