Las Vegas Thoughts!

Edwards Kings

Las Vegas Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:56 am

First, let me add my kudos to the list for Greg, Ryan and team. From the minute my wife and I walked into the NCAA Viewing Party Thursday night, the whole Fanball team really made us feel welcome. I cannot imagine how much bucks was spent on food, snacks, rooms, service providers, and of course, booze. For example, Greg and Ryan kept the bar open Thursday night long after it had been planned to close, and there was plentiful beer at each of my drafts. I do not drink (much) when I am selecting my teams, so I cannot blame the alcohol on my teams, but knowing it was there for us meant a lot. The Mexican Buffet Saturday for the main looked great though I stuck with the excellent salad and desserts. Again, thanks to all the Fanball folks. Your commitment to providing the best experience possible shows. And Rich Gannon is a real gentleman. He was very accessible for those who wanted to talk to him and was genuinely interested in hearing about how the NFBC does fantasy baseball. It was also great to find out that he and I are fraternity brothers. I wonder if there are any other Sig Eps out there in the NFBC? In Year One, we had a group discussion with Marty Barrett, who was just as friendly and open as if he were one of the “regular” people. Rich was like that too and if he ever gets a chance to read the boards, I wanted to say thanks again. He really added to the event and I hope he did well with his team at the draft.

Anyway, especially now that Vegas insists on asking for resort prices for food and beer, I know the additional fees we paid for the spread did not come close to covering the additional costs of the upgrades. This is one long-time owner who really appreciates the willingness to go the extra mile. I thought it was all great. You guys really hit a home run!

The Vegas experience was great as I was able to see some folks again for our annual foray as well as get to see some of the folks from the Florida drafts I hadn’t seen in a long time. You know the ones…us former Florida drafters who were dumb minnows who don’t know beans about fantasy baseball and a few sharks take advantage of and win the whole main event! Great to see Kent Stermon. Kent has always been a straight shooter who will openly share his views and opinions on players. Best of the best in my book. As well, I got to meet Andy Nolan for the first time, though I really did not get to spend as much time with neither Andy nor Kent as I had wanted to. Got the chance to draft against Bobby Jurney again (hoping for better results on my end) though he thought I was channeling Dave Clum at the Live Online Double Play draft. The biggest surprise was getting to have a face to face conversation with Ira Kerker (who hasn’t changed) and his son (who definitely has). Two years ago when I last saw them, the brains of that team was 14 and barely came shoulder high on me. Now, he is 6’2” and can reach out and pat the top of my head. He didn’t as he obviously has been, as we say in the South, raised right, but man what a change. Don’t worry, Ira, I will have my friends in Athens get in contact with your son to see if he wants to attend a class institution! ;) Got to talk a good bit with Mike Duggan.

I was very fortunate again to have two great groups of guys on either side of me at the Main . I cannot off the top of my head recall the co-managers names, but Patrick and Stewart kept me on my toes. I was also good to talk, although briefly because we all had bigger fish to fry, to Neal Moses and Rob Silver. I had not met those guys before and it was a real pleasure. I was also fortunate in my pick that I did not have to draft in the middle of a brutal run of NFBC vets like Brent Grooms, Marc Meltzer, Steven Jupinka, KJ Duke, and Chris Poulson, who occupied spots 10 through 14. Everybody was on there game and I can tell you nothing “slipped” by that end (nor come to think of it, from the other side either). You know how it is when you sit at a poker table and you look around to find out who the rube is, but you cannot figure it out, that means it is probably you? Well, I kinda had that feeling Saturday. Nice meeting James Rodriguez as well. James was not scared to jump on the players that interested him and he snagged several guys I really wanted on my team.

It was also good to finally meet King of Queens, too. Had a chance to say hello to Ray Flowers who rights as good a baseball article as anyone who know hockey so well! ;) Just teasing, Ray. Really enjoyed talking to you. Got to have a few words with Nick Cassavetes too. And of course, Shawn Childs was there to make it interesting. Thanks again, Shawn for sharing your info. It is always good to see someone tout a pick, then actually follow through. I should listen more, but you already know you’re the EF Hutton of the NFBC.

I am sure I left off a lot of folks I talked to, but that is not because I didn’t enjoy the fellowship. It is more because I am still dragging from flying back in the sardine can that passes for an airplane these days and am a bit jet lagged. Now, I just have to figure out what to do with what I drafted. Good luck all!

[ March 29, 2010, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Edwards Kings ]
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Chest Rockwell

Las Vegas Thoughts!

Post by Chest Rockwell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:33 am

I thought Vegas went extremely well. I also cannot get over how many nice people there are in this event. I probably talked to 50 different guys and enjoyed each and every conversation.

I heard some moaning about the buffet not being worth 50 bucks. No **** it is not, but either is the 20 dollar cheeseburger at the hotel. IMO the food was good for the prices they have to pay for stuff out there.

One thing I really enjoy is seeing Greg enjoy himself out there. It is truly the one place he generally gets treated with the appreciation we should share with him all year. Tough week ahead for the fanball crew as there is a lot to be done.

One other shout out to Shawn. He gets pulled in so many directions out there. He always has time for everyone and you learn something from every conversation.

Rey

Las Vegas Thoughts!

Post by Rey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:34 am

Sorry I missed you in Vegas Wayne. Always look forward to our yearly handshake and post draft team review. Hope you had a good draft. Good luck this year!

Cowboy Joe

Las Vegas Thoughts!

Post by Cowboy Joe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:36 am

I want to echo Wayne's sentiments about the weekend in Vegas. Greg, Ryan, and all the Fanball folks were constantly working to make sure everything went smoothly. They took on a thousand issues and nailed 987 of them. If I could manage my team that well, I would be a perpetual league champion. Thanks to everyone who worked so hard.

I'm not a Vegas guy (don't gamble and think the prices are ridiculous), but I love to participate in the NFBC in Vegas because it is the ULTIMATE FANTASY BASEBALL EXPERIENCE. I say that having never participated in either New York or Chicago so I could be wrong. I read Doughboy's summary on a different post and would be interested in hearing from other players who have participated in multiple locations.

Given the venue of Vegas and the Bellagio in particular, I thought an event fee was appropriate. I appreciated not having to schlep around for meals in between drafts. My only suggestion for improvement would be to build in some time at the conclusion of the main event to have lunch. The buffet was nice and I think people would appreciate time after the draft to enjoy it.

It was great to meet and compete against some legendary message board players as well as some of the savvy but quiet guys.

Good luck to everyone this season.
I feel like I'm the Jerry Quarry of the NFBC.

Edwards Kings

Las Vegas Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:17 pm

Originally posted by Rey:

Sorry I missed you in Vegas Wayne. Always look forward to our yearly handshake and post draft team review. Hope you had a good draft. Good luck this year! Sorry I missed you, too, Rey! I was flying around trying to keep social engagements so had way too much going on other than baseball.

Anyway, good luck to you too this year!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

King of Queens

Las Vegas Thoughts!

Post by King of Queens » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

It was also good to finally meet King of Queens, too. Likewise! Great to meet you and Kent and quite a few of the other MB regulars!

The trip was short but sweet. First class all the way.

Greg Ambrosius

Las Vegas Thoughts!

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:15 am

Thank you Wayne for this post. I'm trying to catch up here and honestly didn't see this one through all the mess. Kent steered me to it and now I'm glad I found it.

Honestly, I couldn't be more proud with what we accomplished out in Las Vegas. I was physically and emotionally drained by Sunday night because folks just don't realize how much we did out there. The Interactive Sports Conference inbetween the two NFBC live drafts was a fulltime job in itself and we hit that one out of the park too. It was 13 days in Las Vegas where I didn't even leave the hotel for the last 8 days. I didn't see the sun from Monday until Monday.

As I told several folks this weekend, I know that this is your Christmas Day. You are so hyped and ready and excited that you just can't wait to open the presents. The last thing you need is for Santa to be hungover, with alcohol on his breath and eyes redder than his suit!! :D So I always behave out there and I'm downstairs setting up the room hours beforehand and making sure to shake hands and greet folks when they arrive. I want this to be the most special day of your season and I won't let you down.

But you are right, from the beginning of the NCAA Viewing Party on Thursday night to the auctions and Double Plays on Friday to the main event on Saturday to the Diamond League and Ultimate Leagues on Sunday, things couldn't have gone better. It was like a brethren of friends gathering in the nicest hotel we could find. The Bellagio was just fantastic and my hope is that we return there every year from here on out. They were the best staff to work with in all my years hosting shows and my room was so fine that I slept like a baby for 13 straight days. Just amazing. Oh, and the food was fantastic everywhere I went.

I'll have more on the people we met in Las Vegas, but like I said on Saturday, YOU FOLKS make the NFBC. We're just your stewards to keep things running smooth. But the participants make the event and there is no doubt that you folks hit a home run this year in all five cities. Now let's get the season started and see who really is the best fantasy player in the NFBC.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Da bears

Las Vegas Thoughts!

Post by Da bears » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:52 am

Vegas was great as always! :cool: :cool:

I especially enjoyed the thursday night party and the saturday night dinner with Rich Gannon.

Great job by Greg and Ryan and the rest of the Fanball staff!! :cool:
-Bauler Shot Caller

bustouts

Las Vegas Thoughts!

Post by bustouts » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Great job as always. Thanks to Ryan, Greg and everyone else involved for what I'm sure was an exhausting process. Nobody does it better.

DiamondKing

Las Vegas Thoughts!

Post by DiamondKing » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Simple words.Thank You.
All pigs are created equal.Some are more equal than others.