Trade Deadline

DOUGHBOYS

Trade Deadline

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:47 am

The Boards are very lightly written on these days. I know a positive post is in order, but this won't be one.
Is it me, or has the media sucked the fun out of the trade deadline?
Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

The media mentions huge prospects like Taveras and Joc Pederson and Gausman being traded, when we all know good and damned well that they're staying right where they are.
These kids make good headlines, so the media continually dreams up their own scenarios and write it in a way that makes it seem as if it could be reality.
The Shields/Davis for Myers/Odorizzi trade came out of nowhere. The probable result of a GM trying to keep his job.
Freidman and Moore would not alert the press about talks of the trade.
When a touted prospect is tradeable, no GM is not going to call Ken Rosenthal and tell him that he is available. If he is not traded, it hurts the prospects relationship with that club.
Another example would be Cespedes going to the Red Sox. Billy Beane would not let the press know that Cespedes was on the block. At the same time, he would try to drum up interest for Jimmy Johnson before letting him go.

I do believe that GM's use writers for personal gain. I believe they will text them a lot and bullshit them that there is a lot of interest for one player when the interest is actually small. Trying to create more interest for a player through the media.
What trickles down to the fans are deals conjured up by journalists and probable non-truths that are instigated by GM's.
It's too bad.
I used to look forward to the hub bub of the trading deadline.
Now, any story without an actual trade report in the context is, simply, a non-story for me.

On a positive note, I do like the Lester/Cespedes deal.
The press make it seem like it is a foregone conclusion that Lester re-signs with Boston after the season.
But two things will happen to Lester that have never happened before.
1. He'll be offered money. Most likely, way beyond what Boston has, or will, offer him.
2. He'll be playing with a different organization.
Who knows?
Maybe after playing with Oakland, Lester may think that Boston did not treat him any better than Oakland or another team might have treated him.
My bet is that Lester signs for the largest money and Boston does not get a sweetheart deal. Of course, that's an easy bet. :D
As for Cespedes, it should be fun seeing him at Fenway and the Red Sox get some right handed thump in their lineup.
If re-signing Lester, they virtually get Cespedes for Jonny Gomes, a trade any GM would make.
One thing is for sure, Boston batting practice with Cespedes and Ortiz in the batting cages makes it worth it to get to the games early.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Bronx Yankees

Re: Trade Deadline

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:51 am

It's not you, Dan. The media does suck some of the fun out of the trade deadline for the reasons you stated. Most of the so-called rumors are just BS, as GMs are using the media to drum up interest or perhaps depress interest in certain players. 99% (or more) of the rumors will not involve actual deals that get made. Most of the information out there is misinformation (kind of like the week before the NFL Draft). In fact, sometimes the deadline passes with very little getting done, leaving you wondering if it is much ado about nothing.

Still, it can be a fun time of the year. Although I expected Lester to get moved, I did not see a Lester and Gomes for Cespedes deal on the horizon. In a way, I guess that's part of your point - notwithstanding the media's hyperventilating over the trade deadline for a week or longer, I don't think anyone called the only blockbuster deal to date. It's a real interesting trade that could work out well for both teams (and, for the A's, it took real guts to make in my opinion).

Another interesting aspect of the trade deadline is, of course, the potential impacts on all of our fantasy teams (that's always among my first thoughts and I'm guessing yours as well). I don't have Lester, Gomes or Cespedes on any of my teams this year, so the first big trade of the day is a non-event for me fantasy-wise. Still, there may be trades that either seriously help or hurt some teams this year - we'll see.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 am

I love the 'Go for it Now' attitude of Beane this year.
Fans of other teams have to be a little jealous.
So far, the Tigers have taken these trades as personal attacks. That Oakland is loading up for them for the post-season.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tigers make a big deal. If only to show everybody that they won't be 'Beane-Bullied'.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:22 am

I've seen some criticize Oakland for trading 'too much' in Cespedes for Lester.
There are things that some of these folks are missing.
The $11 million dollars coming off the books for Oakland gives Beane even more trade and free agent flexibility for next year.
It's all about flexibiity for Beane. He is a give me an inch and I'll take a mile GM.
This trade is brilliance for a competing small market team.
The trade has loaded up his staff for the post-season.
It has taken money off the books for next year.
And most importantly, given him flexibility for next year for signings or trades.
A win/win/win for Beane.
On my tombstone-

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:33 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I've seen some criticize Oakland for trading 'too much' in Cespedes for Lester.
The $11 million dollars coming off the books for Oakland gives Beane even more trade and free agent flexibility for next year.
It's all about flexibiity for Beane. He is a give me an inch and I'll take a mile GM.
And most importantly, given him flexibility for next year for signings or trades.
A win/win/win for Beane.
Completely disagree. The A's lineup takes a huge blow, with this trade, in my opinion. His presence made all of those guys better. He had a reasonable contract for next year, considering his production and they only get Lester for a couple of months. You know Lester wont be resigning with the A's. That's a guaranty. Unless they win a world series, this trade is awful for the A's, in my opinion, this weakens their team for the post season. The upgrade at starter is nowhere near the downgrade in outfielder/hitter, not only his hitting but his defense and his overall presence in that lineup.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 am

BK METS wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:I've seen some criticize Oakland for trading 'too much' in Cespedes for Lester.
A win/win/win for Beane.
Completely disagree. The A's lineup takes a huge blow, with this trade, in my opinion. His presence made all of those guys better. He had a reasonable contract for next year, considering his production and they only get Lester for a couple of months. You know Lester wont be resigning with the A's. That's a guaranty. Unless they win a world series, this trade is awful for the A's, in my opinion, this weakens their team for the post season. The upgrade at starter is nowhere near the downgrade in outfielder/hitter, not only his hitting but his defense and his overall presence in that lineup.

The A's offense is not based on any one hitter. Rather, they are like a swarm of bee's.
They can let go of Cespedes.
Cespedes can hit 50 homers for Boston. He'd never hit 50 in Oakland's ball park.
In Boston, he can do more damage and good for Boston in getting him.
In Oakland, he's another bee.
For Oakland's ball park, the loading up on arms and keeping the swarm of bee's offense is the way to go.
On the outside, I can see how some think that Oakland got gypped.
I don't.
On every level, it is a masterful move from a GM who wants to win now and yet, leave himself flexibility for next year.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:52 am

Allen Craig and Joe Kelly for John Lackey?

The Red Sox may have Cespedes, Craig, and Betts in the outfield next year.

Interesting....
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:03 am

Interesting approach by the Red Sox.
Most sellers are prospect hunters. The Red Sox are loading up for next year and are ok with getting higher contracts for the players sold from their team.
Smart.
They become an instant contender for next year....offensively.
They are going to have to be a big player on the free agent market for pitching, however.
As of now, their 'Ace' is Clay Buchholz.
On my tombstone-

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Interesting approach by the Red Sox.
Most sellers are prospect hunters. The Red Sox are loading up for next year and are ok with getting higher contracts for the players sold from their team.
Smart.
They become an instant contender for next year....offensively.
They are going to have to be a big player on the free agent market for pitching, however.
As of now, their 'Ace' is Clay Buchholz.
Could Hamels be next?

Cespedes and Craig should only help next year. Craig still is owed a fair amount of money, but if he is ever going to show power and get his hitting back on track, Fenway is the place to do it. Not completely sold that they see him as an OF; might be thinking about sticking him at 1B. The Red Sox have very little power (outside Ortiz) and they just added two nice bats for next year (and, in the case of Craig, beyond). But, you know they are not going to win anything with the current staff, and I haven't seen enough promise in any of their younger pitchers to make me think they are going to stand pat. Maybe they do bring Lester back, but they ample opportunities to do so and didn't come close. In Hamels, they only would have a five-year commitment, whereas Lester might be looking for longer. It will be interesting to see if the Sox address their pitching this afternoon or wait until the off-season.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:45 am

I hear what every one is saying about the King of the Home Run Derby. And Beane is a helluva lot smarter than me, but exactly what kind of bat(s) will Billy get for $10.5m in 2015? I would rather have a banger like Cespedes in my lineup for the playoffs (bees yes, but Moss and Donaldson and Cespedes can generate some power) and for at least four months of next year. Maybe it does speak volumes about what they think about Vogt. Man, the A's love those catcher-types!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Raskol

Post by Raskol » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:54 am

Assuming this is just a mulligan year for Craig (big if I suppose), then he could be a great RH bat in Fenway. Joe Kelly seems like reliever material but when your "ace" is suddenly Buchholz, anything could happen.

Cespedes is hopefully the power bat in the OF that the Sox have been lacking for the past few seasons.

For the Sox, their anemic (outside of Ortiz) offense gets a huge boost with the additions of Craig and Cespedes. Their pitching staff for next year will be pathetic unless they sign some arms in the off-season.

Oakland seems primed for a run deep into the post season with that pitching staff. Their beehive offense will score enough even without Cespedes.

St. Louis gets a solid arm to bolster their injury-plagued rotation. Lackey is, at the very least, durable.
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.--Hunter S. Thompson

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:58 am

So, who gets Price?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:03 pm

I disagree with Doughboys... This is pretty fun today!

More trades please!
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:09 pm

Just a note....Cespedes has a double as his only extra base hit vs. the Tiger triumvarant of Verlander/Scherzer/Sanchez.

This IS a lot of fun and disagree away! :D

The deals are the fun part. Guesses by the media....not so much. :D :D
On my tombstone-

Raskol

Post by Raskol » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:13 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:So, who gets Price?
As a Sox fan, I can unrealistically hope that he moves to Boston, but I have no idea how that could possibly happen.
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.--Hunter S. Thompson

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:18 pm

We can clear a locker right next to Big Papi for him...
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:19 pm

Raskol wrote:
Edwards Kings wrote:So, who gets Price?
As a Sox fan, I can unrealistically hope that he moves to Boston, but I have no idea how that could possibly happen.
Yeah, that whole same division thing would definitely be a problem with Tampa you would think.

I would like to say the Braves, but the only thing I think the Atlanta front office is doing right now is....nothing....
Charles Krauthammer

Raskol

Post by Raskol » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:44 pm

Joe Sambito wrote:We can clear a locker right next to Big Papi for him...
Oh, right, forgot about how close those two are. Oh well...

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Price to Pirates?

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 pm

I hear the Braves will get Price straight up for BJ Upton! ;)

Or was I taking a nap and dreaming?
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:51 pm

Price to the Tigers. Not a surprise....
On my tombstone-

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:58 pm

BK METS wrote:
A win/win/win for Beane.
I think this was a mistake as well. Crisp has a bad neck, Gentry just went on the DL (replaced by Fuld, I guess) and Reddick hasn't been healthy since 2012. I don't think their outfield was in shape for this kind of move. The Phillies had a more impressive rotation than this a few years ago and their bats deserted them in the post season.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:59 pm

Austin Jackson removed from the field in the middle of play....
And Drew Smyly named also....
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:10 pm

Good stuff.
The A's and Tigers are all in for this year.
Scherzer, Price are short term pitchers...VMart short termed, Cabrera looking like his best years are behind him against a small market team who is short an outfielder, but loaded on pitching to combat the Tigers in a short series.
Just great stuff.

To all the Pirates fans....
I told you so :D
They're too cheap to sign Burnett. To adequately fill 1b. To move a difference maker up to the major leagues.
The writing is on the wall that the Pirates will NOT do what it takes to win.

To the Royals fans who thought they'd get something for Shields.....Sorry, Man.
Moore is in no position to think of the future now. Ironic in that he has sold the future to fans for most of his tenure.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On my tombstone-

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:19 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Good stuff.
The A's and Tigers are all in for this year.
Scherzer, Price are short term pitchers...VMart short termed, Cabrera looking like his best years are behind him against a small market team who is short an outfielder, but loaded on pitching to combat the Tigers in a short series.
Just great stuff.

To all the Pirates fans....
I told you so :D
They're too cheap to sign Burnett. To adequately fill 1b. To move a difference maker up to the major leagues.
The writing is on the wall that the Pirates will NOT do what it takes to win.
Don't just pick on the Pirates; what about the Phillies? Did they really keep Howard, Utley, Rollins, Burnett, Byrd, Papelbon, Lee, Hamels? Could they really go the entire week/day without making a single move to get younger? Hell, a corpse could do what Ruben Amaro accomplished today!

Shifting gears, is it just me or does Smyly and Franklin seem like a light haul for Price? Given that Price is under contract this year and next year, compared to Lester who is a free agent this off-season, I was expecting the Rays to get much more for Price.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"