Eleven

Edwards Kings

Eleven

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:24 am

Eleven. What is the big deal about eleven?

11 is the Aliquot sum of one number, the discrete semiprime 21 and is the base of the 11-aliquot tree.

As 11 is the smallest factor of the first 11 terms of the Euclid–Mullin sequence, it is the 12th term.

An 11-sided polygon is called a hendecagon or undecagon.

In both base 6 and base 8, the smallest prime with a composite sum of digits is 11.

11 is an Eisenstein prime with no imaginary part and real part of the form 3n − 1.

Displayed on a calculator, 11 is a strobogrammatic prime and a dihedral prime because it reads the same whether the calculator is turned upside down or reflected on a mirror, or both.

I have no idea what most of that means, but I was thinking about eleven as I painfully completed my taxes over the weekend as well as inputting FASFA (those of you with kids in college know what I mean) data for my now two college age children. In whole, the process left me feeling like I had just gotten a protological exam from Andre the Giant.

"Spread 'em and you had better smile, mon ami!"

In short, I needed a diversion so naturally I starting thinking about baseball and equally naturally, I started thinking about the NFBC. We have a lot of new members and as we go down to the wire for people signing up (including ones who might feel burned by another unfortunate failure), I thought I would share what got me to the NFBC...eleven years ago...in 2004.

In early 2004, a friend and co-worker and I were discussing baseball while I was at Nortel (another collapse). Jay was his name and he was one of the insidious NY Mutt fans (man, you just can't get away from those guys). I was ya-yaing him because Glavine, who left the Braves in 2003 in a fit of confusion to play for the Mets, was coming off a horrible year and I was predicting a further decline from which Glavine would never recover (see, I was lousy at this even then). I was also extolling how I was going to dominate (proof of my obvious intelligence) my local fantasy baseball league again. Jay was reading some publication that had an ad about this National Fantasy Baseball Championship. Brand new. Unproven. High stakes and damned expensive compared to the $100 leagues I was used to. Basically, I was goaded into putting up or shutting up. I went home and firmly told my wife "I am going to Vegas to play high stakes fantasy baseball and I do not want any guff about it!" Actually, I think the conversation started "Honey, are you asleep?" but in any regard I ended up in Vegas for the second time in my life. And I was going to show how it was done, by God...and I ended up in a league with Childs and Rey Diaz and Gene McCaffery...with predictable results.

All of that to say this...to any who are on the fence...I have not regretted one year...Vegas, Chicago, Florida...all fun, all worth it, and even though 2004 was a bath for Greg and Tom and Krause, everyone was treated well and paid what they were do. Same results though now we have a third company in charge. Same Greg. Same Tom. Same great contest. Some have left for whatever reason, some were mad when they did it, though I think those guys mainly had the problem of a supersized stick in their keister.

I am back this year and I still look forward to it. How many others have done the Main Event for eleven straight years?

1. Wayne "Still don't like the Mets" Edwards
Last edited by Edwards Kings on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Quahogs

Re: Eleven

Post by Quahogs » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:00 am

Nice recap Wayne :D 11 years for me. 5th yr in row for Vegas I believe.

Where else can you go where the camaraderie/entertainment is as rich as the live event drafting itself ! The high water mark of the year for me. Looking forward to seeing you once again in Vegas Wayne !

Rey

Post by Rey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Fun times indeed Wayne. We'll miss ya in Vegas. Hope to see you again one of these years, and maybe even end up in a league together, for old times sake!

kgrady

Post by kgrady » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Eleven straight main events for me as well, all of them in New York City. I wasn't sure whether it would be a one shot thing for me back in 2004, but it's been a blast. After some initial success, I have been donating to the winner's pot for many years now. Each season I am convinced that trend is going to stop. And why not? My Red Sox finally beat the Yankees after years of frustration so why can't I finally get back into the money? I'm only sandwiched between Stephen Jupinka and Artie Rastelli this year in the draft order in NY4, so no real hurdles to overcome! :o :P

Kevin
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:40 pm

Great stuff, Wayne. Only the eighth year for me, but when you mentioned the magazine, it brought me back to the day that I first picked up a copy at a CVS (back in the day when it was still being published, hint, hint, boys). I opened it to an article listing some of the top NFBC money winners from the year prior to see the grinning face of an obviously smug and painfully metro-sexual fellow New Jerseyan who lived local to me. I remember saying almost out loud in the store, "Look at this dick! If he can win money in this thing, anyone can." :P That guy was Scott Fleming, my partner in the Platinum in Las Vegas next week. :mrgreen: Just one of the many great people and great friends that I've made being a part of the NFBC. Looking forward to seeing you in Vegas. 8-)
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry